or Connect

Posts by Dr. Strangeclub

He's the embodiment of the sort of people who annoy me.  Bubba would make me VERY uncomfortable in person, I'm sure, and he wouldn't like me much, either, most likely.  I have little patience with evangelical airheads.
Having little recourse, I finally went with the Dryjoys Tour.  Works out, because the guy we bought them from can "juggle the books", where he gets the refund and the credit difference goes to him, and then he gives us the difference, so basically we get a fair trade with no residuals at Footjoy that we have to spend somehow.  Next time he orders, he just applies that credit to his own order.  Cool.
  Wish I'd seen those earlier, but right now I'm stuck with Footjoy.  They'll trade them for something else, plus a credit (since I have the most expensive shoe now), but I'm really afraid of the "shelf" being on any shoe in my size, even if it's a running/sport shoe style.  That, and the narrow heel seems omnipresent on all their lasts except the street shoes, which still comes in the Stanford last.    Their return policy is a non-return policy, basically, since all...
I think my real problem is that I'm like the Duke of Windsor and his wide lapel wool suits.  I want a golf shoe that looks like an ol' timey golf shoe and Footjoy doesn't make one anymore.  (Everybody trying to one-up me with how long they've been wearing Footjoys and that I must have some weird problem, bear in mind that *I* wore Footjoys almost to exclusion for 45 years.)  The Dryjoys, my current pair with a split sole, have the same anti-rollover function, so Dryjoys...
  What's with the spikes, though?  Doesn't look like they'd work too well around here, where it's pretty wet a lot of the time.  And are they replaceable or do you just wear them for a while and buy another pair? 
Thanks for the TRUE suggestions!  I'll check them out.  The Puma does come in 7.5, but there is no indication of width choices.  Puzzling.  A little jazzy for me, too.  "Roll" is exactly what these ICONs do not allow -- at all.  Was looking through ebay at the old used shoes like I had in the 70s and 80s, just to make sure I wasn't imagining things through a nostalgic lens, and the sole is cut close to the sides of the uppers, every time.  The "roll" is what is missing...
  I was thinking about going with Puma this time, since somebody said they were really comfortable, but haven't been able to find a size 7.5 -- apparently they start at 8..  No doubt the more athletic Footjoy styles would suit me fine, but I'm done with Footjoy after this disaster.  After wearing them for nine holes, I had a bad blister, first blister ever in maybe 25 pair of Footjoys over the years.  (I did wear Dexter for a few years and they were nice too, but I wasn't...
  The MSRP for the Dryjoy is $180, for the ICON, $289.  One would expect a better shoe than the Dryjoy, but it's likely worse.  In any case, the Dryjoy is not the top end according to Footjoy's pricing.  Dryjoy might be their best, but not their most expensive at least.
 When I started playing, my parents were not about to buy me a pair of Footjoy golf shoes to go out there and shoot a hundred. Even when I got a lot better, they still only sprung for a pair a Bass, which required weeks of blood-soaked breaking in. Footjoy advertised something like, "Never a blister." They were made in Phoenix, or Delaware or somewhere stateside, back when American products were the class of the world. We made great socks and shirt and gloves and golf...
I'm definitely getting a set.  Soft spikes are one of the worst things that have befallen golf since I started playing almost 60 years ago.  I'm with Charlie Rhymer, that the soft spikes do more damage than the nails on the greens, you just can't see it very clearly -- a waffling effect.  And I'm going to wear them until somebody stops me.  Golfers didn't wear their golf shoes into the clubhouse when they had real spikes on their shoes,, except in those places that had...