or Connect

Posts by fr0sty

The afternoon matches are with different partners (these are 8-man teams) than who you play with in the mornings so he will be SOP then. I am just playing along with him in the mornings and want to help him do well to net points for our team (and keep him having fun).
 Format is a nonconforming amalgam of stroke and singles match play. Each foursome is pairs of teammates playing a pair of opponents in four simultaneous matches (A vs C, A vs D, B vs C, B vs D) with points for winning the front/back/total. In the afternoons we play alternating shot, better ball, and scramble in pairs. There is a low-net and low-gross consolation competition as well but that is secondary to the team competition.  Are you saying you couldn't get a...
 Is it not possible to for someone of that general ability level to have a pseudo-reliable 100yd punch shot with a 4H or similar to advance the ball with a minimum of left/right dispersion (and without the possibility of a bladed shot going too long)? I'm not looking for great, just some strategies to eliminate certain costly misses. My other concern is what to do with forced carries (I have even seen at least one island green)...
 The only reason you can shave a stroke by getting up and down is because you added the stroke by missing the GIR in the first place. The fastest way to add strokes to your score that you can shave off with your short game is by hitting poor drives and approach shots.
My playing partner for an upcoming golf trip will be playing with a course handicap in the high 30s and from what I understand he deserves all of those strokes.   What can I do to help him quickly improve his scoring to win some of his matches? I'm planning to go heavy on the course management (keeping the ball in play) and work with him on some pitching/chipping techniques to hopefully help him scramble a bit better than he does now. That seems reasonable to me, but I...
 Would it be possible to see this 'geofencing' information overlaid on the course map? You could get a lot of solid feedback from interested parties (often with intimate knowledge of how the course is set up and typically played) if the information was available for them to see. Related to the above question, do you have a outside 'beta testing' group who test out new features? Any interest in starting one?
 One angle covered in that thread that hasn't been mentioned here is that after you take relief and end up with a stance in the LWH or OOB you can elect to play your shot left-handed* and receive relief from the cart path again. After each drop you have a new situation and you treat it separately. If you did the above you may still be entitled to relief a third time if your drop for relief of the left-handed swing leaves you too close to the cart path to take your normal...
 I'll put in a brief commercial for  here. My brother bought his set from them a few years ago and is very happy. Prices seem pretty good too.
 I'll add another vote for starting a 'My Swing' thread if you are interested in useful input about your swing and its flaws. Without an abundance of self-awareness you will be completely at the mercy of the golf gods every time you play. Plenty of people accept that situation, play terribly, but don't get much bothered by it but a goodly number (maybe even a majority) let the frustration of being helpless to self-improve really get to them (I am firmly in the latter camp,...
 I already feel like enough of a dweeb walking up to the cup and tagging my tap in after an opponent concedes the putt and knocks my ball away. Now you want me to stand there for another 20 seconds?? 3-5 seconds and I might be on board. Or maybe a config option where you could do an extra putter tap to mark the hole. Then in the round review you could toggle that last putt into the hole location...