or Connect

Posts by fr0sty

There is even a decision on this very point: 27-2b/1Continuation of Play with Provisional Ball Without Searching for Original BallQ.At a par-3 hole, a player hits his tee shot into dense woods. He then hits a provisional ball which comes to rest near the hole. In view of the position of the provisional ball, the player does not wish to find his original ball. He does not search for it and walks directly towards his provisional ball to continue play with it. His opponent...
 Actually, you don't have the option to "declare" a ball lost. What you can do is declare it unplayable (which you can do, unless you ball in in a water hazard) and proceed under  a penalty of stroke and distance and put another (non-provisional) ball into play.
  Rule 28: The player may deem his ball unplayable at any place on the course, except when the ball is in a water hazard. The player is the sole judge as to whether his ball is unplayable.
  There is one decision you can make about the original ball: You can choose not to look for it. If it isn't found, it is lost and you play the provisional.   That doesn't prohibit your opponent, a spectator, or anyone else from looking for the ball and if they find it within 5 minutes the provisional is abandoned.
My best and worst shots came back to back this week:   Worst: I tried to play it safe on a short par 4 and pulled out the 3-wood rather than letting my driver get me in to trouble. My caution was rewarded by a topped ball that scurried about 100 yards and just reached the fairway.   Best: I took out the three wood again (this time from 240 or so) and hit it to ~25ft. Made par, halved the hole, and moved on.
  I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but three things bear mentioning:   1. If this situation presents itself later, Decision 2/1 is relevant: 2/1 Players in Singles Match Accompanied by Third Party Q.Prior to a singles match between A and B, A stated to B that a third player, C, would be playing with them. B played the match under protest and lost. What ruling should the Committee give? A.A single is a match in which one plays against another. Since B made a...
  You mean: 16-1a/13? I wasn't sure whether A taking his stance would qualify as "accidentally step[ing] on and damag[ing] the player's line of putt". I guess the real emphasis is on accidental damage and not accidental stepping.    16-1a/13 Line of Putt Damaged Accidentally by Opponent, Fellow-Competitor or Their Caddies Q.An opponent, fellow-competitor or one of their caddies accidentally steps on and damages the player's line of putt. What is the ruling? A.There is no...
     True Story:     By my understanding of The Rules there is nothing improper with what was done but I'm curious what rights A or B had in this situation regarding Order of Play, "being entitled to the lie and line of putt when the ball came to rest", fairly taking a stance, and other considerations I may have missed.    Was A entitled to stand in B's line to play his ball? If so, was B entitled to restore his line of putt (or gain other relief) before playing...
It would depend on how likely you thought the other possibilities were. You mention the ball being taken, travelling OB, or into a water hazard. Were there other areas (bunkers or bushes) where the ball may have been?   Given what you said above I would say "no" but I'm going on incomplete information.
Relief for an embedded ball is to drop it as near as possible to its original location. Local rule can change the "closely mown area" requirement but cannot change the relief granted.   If "winter rules" are in effect you can lift clean and place within a distance specified in the local rule but that is a different issue and procedure than relief from an embedded ball.