or Connect

Posts by ghalfaire

Given how small the world is these days with international air travel and our understanding of the disease (or lack thereof) I voted it will be a problem.  I suspect it will be like the early days of HIV (with a shorter incubation which is helpful in detecting who is infected) and we have a lot to learn before we get it under control.
I won't putt until the player prior to me has removed their ball from the hole.  There is only room in the hole for one ball at time in competition.
That is my thoughts.  In any TEAM sport, normally not golf but the Ryder Cup is a TEAM event, the coach needs to be able to form the team to fit the coach's approach to playing the game.  That means the coach has to be able to select players that he feels will support his approach and will meld into a team.  The selection criteria will, of course, include the ability to play golf at a high level.  It could also include less tangible criteria too, maybe just a simple as who...
I couldn't disagree more with the idea the Captain is just an administrator who just looks at statistics and uses some sort of magic mathematical formula to assign players based on those data.  If that were true the Tiger/Phil team would never have lost a match.  But clearly they were oil and water and just didn't mix well.  Rather I believe the Captain is a manager that takes the time to know his players' skills, strengths and weaknesses, personalities, and their thoughts...
To some extent we all have to find our own way on how to think on the course.  But I think it is universal to say mechanical thoughts and negative thoughts on the course are counter productive.  Seems as if I play the best when I don't have any mechanical swing thoughts and don't have any "don't go left/right/short/long, ect. thoughts".  I do think on the course and pick targets and make sure before I move the club my set up in correct.  But for me my only swing thought is...
I think they are great places for the beginner to start playing the game and a lot of fun for the old hands too.   I also have played some executive courses that are difficult and a real test of your short game.  I personally would not want to play par 3 courses all the time but I when I do, I enjoy it.
I do try to "look" at the ball (not stare) until contact. I just let my right shoulder bring my head around on the follow through.  I don't  think about it at all however and when playing well it just happens.  Usually when I "look up" too soon it is because I am letting my tempo get too fast and I pull my head up by swinging too hard.   For me the solution to that is to think "stay connected" and/or reduce my grip pressure.  But I never ever think "stare at the ball' as...
Well seems to me if we have system of qualifying players for the Ryder Cup team based on their performance and yet we keep losing maybe our measuring system isn't correctly identifying the performance needed in Ryder Cup play.  I have always wondered why Europe seems to dominate in the foursomes competition and to some extent in the four ball competition. If I were in charge of selecting the next USA Ryder Cup team (and Captain for that matter) I would take a look at what...
Well, this subject comes  up a lot and is contentious as one can tell from reading the posts.   But worth discussion as 5 hour rounds are not fun regardless of your score.  But I believe the "standard" of 4 hours +/- a few minutes is pretty much accepted by most courses.  Having said that one certainly can do a round in less if everyone on the course is playing golf.  But for many it seems the round is a social or business occasion and golf isn't the primary interest.  So...
Maybe I didn't say it well but I believe it is exactly the same.  In being openly critical of Tom Watson, Phil was also questioning the judgement of those that selected Tom to be Captain.  These are the same people that will select the future Captains of the USA Ryder Cup teams.  Of course this depends upon how open minded these folks are.  But in business there was a saying that "if you want to be promoted make sure you're not identified as one who might piss in the punch...