or Connect

Posts by ghalfaire

I play with a league that has similar rules a couple of three times a month.  But in general I don't include the rounds in my handicap data.  It puts you at a disadvantage to do so.  I tried just playing but not availing myself of the special rules but that just seems to create some other problems.  Fellow players get angry if you take time to hit a provisional of go back to your previous position since the special rules "are in place to speed up the game".  So I gave up,...
I think, which means I've changed my mind, that the term Grand Slam (as applied to golf) means winning all four majors, period and in any order or time frame.  Thus the term "career Grand Slam" was used to describe winning all four majors in a career.  But because what Tiger did was a greater achievement of holding all four major titles simultaneously but not in a single calendar year, a new description was needed for this as it wasn't the accepted understanding of  "Grand...
Well I certainly don't want to try to diminish what Tiger achieved in the slightest.  But I believe the accepted definition of Grand Slam has always been "all four majors in a single calendar year" ever since I have played the game and that was a long time before Tiger was even born.   I would agree the calendar year is arbitrary, but it is a part of the definition and has been for a long time. I don't know who else in golf has held all four championships simultaneously...
Either one would certainly be impressive but I have to believe that a Grand Slam is the more difficult to accomplish since no one has ever held all four titles in the same calendar year.     Bobby Jones did have four major titles in a single year but they were the US Open, The US Amateur, The British open, and the British Amateur.  Amazing but not sure it is considered a "grand slam".  
I shot 79 twice but it was a long time ago. About 1993 as I recall.
It was too long ago.
I guess the problem with the climate machine is that it is very very complex with a lot of variables and impossible to "perform an experiment".  Probably the first thing Science should come to grips with is how do you measure the average temperature of the earth?  If someone tells you the earth is warming how is that measured.  Sounds simple but not if you think about awhile. So I view the arguments about climate change just like the the ones on how the Universe came into...
Actually I believe Mexico is going to apply for statehood to become our 51st Star.  
  Boogielicious is correct we are way off topic.  My apologies to the OP.  This is my last comment on this thread.  All I am saying is that different people have different views of what the Confederate Battle flag stands for and can make reasoned arguments to support that view. I won't address the Japan thing as you can read for yourself how the US denied the flow of Oil into Japan prior to Pearl Harbor (beginning July of 1941 I believe) and part of that denial was use of...
Matter of fact many Japanese believe we started the war by having a naval blockade of their country.  The facts are we did blockade their country prior to being attacked to stop Japan's expansionists policies.  So who started the war between Japan and the USA is a matter of perspective.  Before I get called names I follow the tradition belief that we were attack and we responded.  But I have spend some time in Japan and have learned they have a different view of how and...