or Connect

Posts by ghalfaire

Well seems to me if we have system of qualifying players for the Ryder Cup team based on their performance and yet we keep losing maybe our measuring system isn't correctly identifying the performance needed in Ryder Cup play.  I have always wondered why Europe seems to dominate in the foursomes competition and to some extent in the four ball competition. If I were in charge of selecting the next USA Ryder Cup team (and Captain for that matter) I would take a look at what...
Well, this subject comes  up a lot and is contentious as one can tell from reading the posts.   But worth discussion as 5 hour rounds are not fun regardless of your score.  But I believe the "standard" of 4 hours +/- a few minutes is pretty much accepted by most courses.  Having said that one certainly can do a round in less if everyone on the course is playing golf.  But for many it seems the round is a social or business occasion and golf isn't the primary interest.  So...
Maybe I didn't say it well but I believe it is exactly the same.  In being openly critical of Tom Watson, Phil was also questioning the judgement of those that selected Tom to be Captain.  These are the same people that will select the future Captains of the USA Ryder Cup teams.  Of course this depends upon how open minded these folks are.  But in business there was a saying that "if you want to be promoted make sure you're not identified as one who might piss in the punch...
So maybe you (all) are correct and Phil didn't ruin his chances to be captain of one of the future USA Ryder Cup teams.  I certainly don't have a crystal ball so don't know for sure.  But I do know that in most of Corporate American being publicly critical of someone in a position isn't always well received by the folks put that individual in that position and the criticism can even be taken personally. So being openly critical of the performance of the individual in a...
I voted yes.  Tom Watson was a great player but just doesn't have a "modern" management approach.  In today's world it is important to get some "buy in" from subordinates on decisions made affecting their performance.  As to Phil's timing, I would say he picked the time and place where he would be heard by the most people who have an interest in the subject.  Probably cost him his chance to ever be captain but then I would think he knew that and felt the message was...
Interesting list.  The tips tee for #5 is just outside my back fence on the local course.  I often, when working in the yard or just sipping suds, watch the players who use these tees.  Most just don't belong there and I see a lot of tee balls over the fence on the right.  Whatever business that owns this property ought to start a competition with lostgolfballs web site.     The only other one that caught my attention was the sunblock application.  Around here if you...
No I am not superstitious.  But I won't putt until the hole is empty of balls.  There's only room for one ball at a time you know.
Yes.  You don't have to justify how you spend your $, if you are not enjoying the experience then go elsewhere.  
Wow this was so long ago I had to reread it myself.  But I don't see where I commented on my length or my percent fairway hit.  But there was a time when I had 2-3 OB a round and even some in play shots with the driver ended up in really penal condition.  And now I manage most rounds with no OB and hit about 30% fairway and when I miss (70%) am usually in the rough with a shot toward the green and not in the woods.  As to my driver length, well I am an old fellow so I...
At my age just having another day to play make it a great day for golf.