or Connect

Posts by ghalfaire

I guess folks join Country Clubs for different reasons.  When I retired I purchased a small townhouse in the mountains to avoid the summer heat (and electric bills) in the Valley of the Sun.   But there was only one public course in town and it is an executive course, nice but not what I wanted to play all the time.  So the nearest public course was about 18 miles away and while not a bad course it too was not a course I wanted to play a lot.  The next public course is...
Without question, my grandsons are my favorite partners.  However since they are both busy with other my default is an old friend I've know for many years.  You know what they say,  "you can always make new friends but you can't make any new old friends so take care of the ones you have".  
Well when I began playing many years ago I had a bad temper and did wrap a 9 iron around a poor tree that didn't do anything wrong.  It suddenly came to me that I was golfing for fun and If not enjoying it why play?  So I quit golf for about 10 years, a significant hiatus in which I never touched a club.  When I did start playing again a few years ago I had a more realistic attitude about what my goals were and why I play.  So I still get frustrated and even angry when "I...
I don't like mats very well but the thick ones are certainly better than have a 1/4" mat over concrete to hit off of.  I believe the thin mats are tough on the clubs and I just don't use ranges that use them.  I would rather not warm up than hit off concrete. 
I believe most golfers play consistent with their handicap in tournaments.  But there are some that typically play worse than their handicap because of the pressure and others, that are not sand baggers, but consistently play better than their handicap because of the pressure.  The very few sand baggers I have known were clever enough to not win tournaments by any significant number of stokes just as pool sharks don't run the table at the local pool hall.  I believe that...
In the Phoenix area there are many "senior" leagues on various golf courses, mostly Municipal courses but some other daily fee also.  The definition of senior varies but in general 50 years of age is the lowest limit I know of.  But these same courses also have no age limit men's and women's leagues available.     For whatever it is worth, if it was me, I just find a group that welcomes me as a member and move on.
There was a time when many of us played with "starter" sets of clubs.  Usually a driver, 3 or 4 wood, 3, 5,7, and 9I plus a putter.  Some actually had sand wedges but not many.  I don't remember the time to do a round being any different than today so I don't believe fewer clubs equates to shorter rounds times.
The handicap committee should assign a "special handicap" to these two individual in any future competition.  I have seen this done at my club and in a men's club I belong to.  If the handicap committee doesn't react to these situations they will soon find no one willing to compete in any handicapped tournaments.
I agree with this.  I played a course yesterday that is a great traditional track, but being a muni just doesn't have the $$ to maintain it properly.  As a result the city (Phoenix) is looking for ways to enhance the budget for the city courses.  Some of these ideas are to turn the course maintenance and in some cases management over to a third party.  Doesn't sound good for keeping lower green fees.  The city courses are the about the only affordable courses in the...
I drive a 2006 Honda Pilot when it is my turn to drive.  I can fit 5 adults and there gear in it, albeit more comfortable with 4.  It gets about 18 MPG in town and so far is a great vehicle.