or Connect

Posts by ghalfaire

Sort of for the record I was only considering Jack and Tiger and which was better since they both had 4 majors a year opportunities.  I wasn't arguing that either was the GOAT as there are some other pretty good "sticks"today and in golf history that ought to be a part of the the conversation of who is the GOAT.  
If you do this and you keep a handicap "the rules" say your score is a net par for the hole because you didn't proceed as the rules require.  But if you don't keep a handicap, no big deal as long as your buddies don't object.
OK now that I have read more than a few of the post I can answer the OP's question, for me at least.  The ONLY thing Tiger could do at this point that would convince me that he is a better golfer than Jack was it to win more, or at least match, Jack's number of majors.  My logic is that in both Tiger's and Jack's era you can be sure the "strength of field" was a good at it got at the time at the majors.  The best of the best of the there were there and playing.  "To be the...
I have to admit I did not read any of the earlier posts.  But if the OP has read any of the "who's the greatest" threads on this forum what is needed before anyone can be crowned "greatest of all time" there will need be a consensus of how you measure performance of golfers who played in different eras.  Not an easy task but without such a consensus there will never be a consensus on who was the best.  BTW I think there were some other players that deserve consideration...
Lost one Friday.   It was about 5-10 yards right of a long par 3 green.   Lot of rain here lately and the rough must have been 5-6 inches there and saw the ball go in but just couldn't locate it in the long grass.
 Of course you're correct that Strength of field is not an engineering problem. It is a string of words that probably connote different things to different people, although probably most here relate theses words as being related to competitiveness of the field (which is also undefined). But from of the posts I can see that isn't true of everyone. Because there is not an accepted specific definition to what Strength of field means there is no answer to the OP's question....
There is an engineering adage, "if you cannot put a number on it you don't really understand it yet".  So since it is fun to argue the point the issue will never be solved until there is some consensus on a specific definition of "strength field".  How about something like Strength of Field is the probability that a player in the lower 90% of the field scoring averages can win a tournament given that 80% of the better 10% of scoring average is present.  It would take a lot...
I play with a league that has similar rules a couple of three times a month.  But in general I don't include the rounds in my handicap data.  It puts you at a disadvantage to do so.  I tried just playing but not availing myself of the special rules but that just seems to create some other problems.  Fellow players get angry if you take time to hit a provisional of go back to your previous position since the special rules "are in place to speed up the game".  So I gave up,...
I think, which means I've changed my mind, that the term Grand Slam (as applied to golf) means winning all four majors, period and in any order or time frame.  Thus the term "career Grand Slam" was used to describe winning all four majors in a career.  But because what Tiger did was a greater achievement of holding all four major titles simultaneously but not in a single calendar year, a new description was needed for this as it wasn't the accepted understanding of  "Grand...
Well I certainly don't want to try to diminish what Tiger achieved in the slightest.  But I believe the accepted definition of Grand Slam has always been "all four majors in a single calendar year" ever since I have played the game and that was a long time before Tiger was even born.   I would agree the calendar year is arbitrary, but it is a part of the definition and has been for a long time. I don't know who else in golf has held all four championships simultaneously...