or Connect

Posts by ghalfaire

I agree with this.  I wish I didn't because it says we are doomed to slow play if we continue to patronize coursed that are always crowded and SLOW.  Yet around here that are some really nice courses at reasonable prices, even in Winter, that I like to play but are always slow and crowded.  So my choice it to either play less maintained courses or more expensive courses or play slow.  I'll probably take the latter.
Will I believe civility should rule in cases like this.  If the fellow who was saving the stall was polite I don't see the need for any comment back other than "no problem I'll move over a stall or two".  "Getting in someone's face" isn't a good idea these days as getting yourself "decked" is the least of what can happen if the other individual feels threatened.
So here is what I found albeit not specific to...
I don't want to get into a definition of penalty argument.   I'd bet if you ask Annika about this she would agree with me that it was a penalty when the US team required her to replay that chip she hit out of turn and holed out.  This was in a Solheim Cup a few years back.  I would suggest it certainly cost her a stroke that day.
Well at the beginning of 2014 I had let my game get away from me over the years and my handicap index was up to almost 23.  Lots of reasons including a couple of new knees and a bout with a persistent ear problem (read balance).  But I decided to get serious this last year took some statistics to find where the most leakage was and decided to fix the leaks as best I could.  Here is what the 2013 statistics said.  Over 3 penalty strokes/round, slightly over 4 three...
I guess in stroke play it is fair to say it isn't a rule because there isn't a penalty (as long as you don't agree to play out of turn to give one of the players an advantage, like seeing the line of a putt) for breach of the rule.  But of course, and I know you of all people know this, there is a penalty in match play for playing out of turn.  But my foursome almost always plays "ready golf" and I think it help keep up the pace of play and recommend it as long as you stay...
I don't know for sure but I would think that when temperatures get below freezing it might be possible to damage graphite shafts on irons.  But playing in those temperatures seems counter productive in my opinion.  Those mishits got the hurt the hands.
A few of the courses I play have this and do monitor and tell you when you're playing slow.  The only issue I have with this is when it tells me we are slow but we are right behind, and waiting, on the group in front of us and they are waiting too.  They need a software change that only notifies the guilty foursome as it just annoys the folks behind them who are already annoyed because of slow play.
I didn't vote because I believe slow players are slow for a variety of reasons ranging from "don't care" to "don't know" they are slow.  I also suspect some of it due the the skill of the golfer not being matched with the course or tees and resulting slow play.  Finally there isn't a real consensus on just how long a fours some should take to complete a round.  I have read TST posts that cite anything from 2.5 to 5 hours as being acceptable.  One of the problems in trying...
I certainly don't believe it proper to use pejorative and hurtful terms and language directed at any specific group or individual.  Having said that I also know we are all human and when angry might say something we regret.  It is a human failing to sometimes set the mouth in motion prior to engaging the brain and we all have done it.  So I am a little hesitant to impugn someone's character based on one angry outburst.  Whether or not Reed's outburst should label him a...