or Connect

Posts by ghalfaire

Yes that it.   It is a big leap from saying Phil doesn't flex his rear leg during the swing to saying that is why Phil won.  You win because you managed a lower score than the field (or opponent in match play) and that involves a whole lot more than whether you flex your rear leg during the swing or not.
I have days when I don't keep score and just play.   I enjoy it and practice while I play although I don't do this often.   I also declare it a practice round before I start and am usually alone.  But somehow I do need to keep a handicap mostly to see where I am in improving or at least maintaining my skill level.  I also want to keep pace with my playing buddies and win my fair share of the time, e.g. I need the competition to be happy.
I voted no as I find it useful to hear what the pros feel they are doing.  But I recognize that that isn't always what they do if you watch them swing.  I have also recently discovered that is true with me also by watching video of myself swinging a club.  But in the process of trying to correct my "swing fault" I have found that I need to sometimes "feel" something other than what my real actions are.  I suspect there is a real Vs. feel gap with all of us, but knowing how...
There is a provision for this problem in the handicap system.  I forget what it is called but if you have two tournament rounds that are "improbable" you can be assigned a special handicap based on those two rounds.  It is not a perfect solution but I have seen it applied and it helps. Sometimes I think we should adopt the European system of only using tournament scores for handicap.  It would seem to help the problem of "sand bag" golfers.
I think you did the correct thing if it wasn't bothering you that much no need to make a fuss. I know a lot of courses in this area, especially this time of year, have rangers (sometimes disguised as customer service) to keep slow groups on pace.   I know of some courses that will ask slow groups to pick up and go to the next tee if they are a hole behind.  I read in the local AGA magazine where one course actually removes slow groups and gives them the green fees back if...
Without question and for many reasons I like watching the Masters best.  My second choice is the US Open.   I also like watching the Match Play in Tucson.  Match play is the only way you get to see the man on man competition.  Make for some exciting shots that you would never see attempted in stroke play.
I have putted left hand low since 2005 and I like it.  I always had trouble with my left wrist breaking down when putting the conventional way.   Putting with left hand low seems to have solved the problem and I am a much better putter these days.  It did take awhile to "get the range" on longer putts but it seemed to solve the short putt problem almost immediately. 
For the mental side I like a book titled "THE INNER GAME OF GOLF" by W. Timothy Gallwey.  It is an old book and difficult to find but Mr. Gallwey was a club tennis pro that decided to learn to play golf.  Since he was a teacher of the mental side of tennis he applied these techniques to his own learning of golf.  It is the story of his journey to a low handicap and the techniques he used. 
Well most of the time I play by the rules.  But there are a couple of groups I play with upon occasion that have "special" rules.  One has a pick up (mercy rule if you will) rule of double par +1.  The other group I play with upon occasion gives putts inside the leather (grip) of the putter (not long putters).  I guess this is OK and probably doesn't move a handicap by more than a fraction of a integer.  I would have to say that the ESC (equitable stroke control) when...
You're correct, it is about access.  While wealth never made anyone happy (other than temporally maybe) it will buy access.  My only point was that children of wealth have an easier road to becoming very good golfers than children of poverty and middle class.  Having said that one only needs to look at the PGA, LPGA, and European Tour to find touring professionals that were not raised by wealthy families.  So it certainly is not impossible to become one of the best of the...