or Connect

Posts by Jim1

Thanks.    I agree that saying that the ball must not be pushed or scooped and that the ground must not be scraped would be more accurate.    The fact that Rule 14-1 says that it is the ball (as opposed to the ground) that must not be scraped is probably why Canada considered the scraping of the ground to be legal.    The USGA says that Canada is wrong.    However, between the USGA and Canada, it is Canada that is being more accurate.    If the USGA...
I don't play any more because of my back. However, back when I played, I learned that if I used my stomach muscles to turn my shoulders backward in an effort to cause my chest to face something behind me WHILE AT THE SAME TIME firing my hips at the target in the forward swing, the ball went much farther. I picked up 50 yards on my drives one summer doing that. As far as I know, that (the shoulders and hips moving in opposite directions in the forward swing) is the...
I don't know whether anyone has addressed this, but why does he refer to it as a "saucer" chip shot? I don't see anything about it that resembles a saucer. Maybe that word means something different in Canada than it does in the United States. Nevertheless, it is a scrape instead of a stroke, which is illegal.   I wish all those things mentioned in Rule 14-1 were legal. I could have shot ten strokes lower (when I used to play) if they were. 
  I added one initial post (post #202) to this thread. All of my subsequent posts have been responses to posts addressed to me.    My purpose has been to call attention to the fact that what Rule 26-1a actually says and what the Masters Committee (on April 13th) and the USGA (on May 1st) interpreted it to mean are two different things.    My purpose has been to call attention to the fact that Tiger Woods did not violate Rule 26-1a, contrary to what the Masters Committee...
The USGA Rules of Golf:   20-2b. Where to Drop. When a ball is to be DROPPED AS NEAR AS POSSIBLE TO a specific spot, it must be dropped NOT NEARER THE HOLE than the specific spot … A ball when dropped MUST FIRST STRIKE A PART OF THE COURSE WHERE THE applicable RULE REQUIRES it to be dropped. …   20-3c. … If it is impossible to determine the spot where the ball is to be placed or replaced: (i) THROUGH THE GREEN, the ball must be DROPPED AS NEAR AS POSSIBLE TO …...
USGA Rule 20-3c:   … If it is impossible to determine the spot where the ball is to be placed or replaced: (i) THROUGH THE GREEN, the ball must be DROPPED AS NEAR AS POSSIBLE TO the place where it lay but not in a hazard or on a putting green; (ii) IN A HAZARD, the ball must be DROPPED in the hazard AS NEAR AS POSSIBLE TO the place where it lay.   Jim (previous message):   Therefore, Rule 34-3 requires the Tournament Committee to decide what the phrase "as...
    The Rules in the USGA Rules of Golf that discuss where to DROP a second ball relative to the original spot are Rules 20-2b and 20-3c. Those Rules refer to a second ball being DROPPED (first striking the ground) "as near as possible to" the original spot either through the green or in a hazard.   However, those Rules to NOT specifically direct the reader to any other Rule for the explanation of what the phrase "as near as possible to" means regarding where a second...
  Rule 26-1a does not say anything about where to drop a second ball. It only says where a second ball is to be played, and it directs the reader to Rule 20-5 for clarification. A second ball can be played more than two club lengths away from the original spot either on the teeing ground (Rule 20-5a) or through the green (Rules 20-2c and 20-5b).   Since Tiger Woods played a second ball within two club lengths of the original spot through the green, he complied with the...
  The Rules in the USGA Rules of Golf that discuss where to DROP a second ball relative to the original spot are Rules 20-2b and 20-3c. Those Rules refer to a second ball being DROPPED (first striking the ground) "as near as possible to" the original spot either through the green or in a hazard.   However, those Rules to NOT specifically direct the reader to any other Rule for the explanation of what the phrase "as near as possible to" means regarding where a second ball...