or Connect

Posts by MSchott

Not sure where that site came up with those prices. Delta treats a golf bag like a piece of luggage unless it's overweight or exceeds 115 linear inches (length x width x height).
That is nice. And a true Cape hold to boot.
The Wiki article claims these are Links courses, not Links style. But the definition of a true links course is one that is built on a sand base, on dunes land. All of the tur British links courses are laid out over the land that existed. The Ocean Course is completely manufactured and is more of a lowlands course than a links course. You can bump and run approach shots onto greens at a links course. You cannot do this at CB as the greens are elevated. Also, think of native...
We are conditioned to think that golf courses should be lush and tree lined. This only feasible in certain climates at certain times of the year and requires a lot of fertilizer and water to maintain, Fescue grasses like those used at Chambers Bay are far more maintenance friendly but not as pretty.
That's the worst list I've ever seen.
Who cares what the media says? I don't think CB is a bad course. It's very interesting and offers players a lot of options. As far as what the players think, who cares? They want perfect conditions and a traditional parkland course. Many are spoiled brats. By the way last year's US Open was a Pinehurst #2 which certainly did not have a ton of trees and green grass. Yet it's considered one of the best in the world. And Shinnecock Hills, a favorite of many also has a links...
You don't have Links courses in Australia. You have Sand Belt courses. The bottom line is pro golfers are whiners anyway and I don't give a crap about this. I said that I am not a fan of how this course was constructed (created). Chambers Bay is not calling itself a Links course. It's a links style course and in the reality other than the firm fast conditions, it doesn't play like one. You can't bump approach shots into the greens, there are no native dunes etc.
While I'm not a fan of a "created" course like CB, you are missing out on the current trend toward natural areas, large undulating greens and firm and fast conditions. By the way, courses like St. Andrews and other British links courses often punish "perfect" shots. Have you heard the term "rub of the green"?
I hadn't thought about Payne much lately which is a shame. He was a good guy, a character which the dull PGA has badly needed and of course a great player. He died around the peak of his career and we lost out on seeing him possibly win another major or more at a time when Tiger was becoming dominant. 
I have but as said above the need for this is rare. When the ball is on the fringe, resting against the rough, the leading edge of a wedge can be a better choice than a putter or a chip. But from the fringe generally a putter is the right club to use. I've also chipped with a hybrid to bump the ball over the fringe from the rough and get it rolling. This is easier than chipping with a longer iron. It all depends how far you are from the flag.