or Connect

Posts by MSchott

Based on the picture on the card, the yardages and a quick look on Google Earth, this course looks dull. Just a golf course on an uninteresting piece of ground with little challenge. But in general a par 70 course does not have to be dull. It's up to the architect to use the available ground and find the best golf holes on that land. Often that means there's not room for 4 par 5's but having a variety of par 4 holes can make up for that. St. Andrews has 14 par 4 holes and...
Interesting photos. The real differences would be seen in pictures from the late 1930's until today. It was a completely different course back then, similar in layout but different greens and bunkers. MacKenzie's original plan was far more linksy than how the course evolved. Angles were key and there was more width.   The modern pro golfer his the ball so far that ANGC has made a lot of changes, some good and some bad IMO. Adding the first cut and more trees has changed...
I know land is expensive in that area but $20M for a 9 hole course? That's a tremendous waste of money. Most courses cost less than $4M to build for 18 holes. This one would be $40M. I understand the course was built on fill and there was remediation but this is a huge boondoggle IMO.
Here's another observation. You don't like to treat people with respect do you? It's OK to have an opinion but there's no need to belittle others.
Are you trying to make some sort of point? Jack and Tiger have very different body types. Jack is far stockier than Woods. Jack's dad played football at tOSU. Woods was a skinny kid and is still a relatively small guy. He's just muscular. You cannot infer anything from this.
It all depends on the player's handicap. A 200 yard par 3 is not a big deal for a low handicap player, even a women. Stacy Lewis on Saturday hit a tee shot on a short par 4 today to within about 10 foot with a driver. That's a lot of talent. Not sure of my point but it's true that these women are outstanding golfers.
Interesting scenario.First, I doubt that the greens on this course are as fast as those played by the LPGA tour. Few public or resort courses do. Second, for a 7600 yard course, a 134 slope is not high at all. The 6400 yard course I play has a 131 slope. But if your buddy could handle the pressure of playing against a world class pro and dealing with galleries, I think he'd be competitive.  By the way I looked at Wine Valley's website. That is a lovely course. I love the...
I believe the reason the greens were softer for the women is that they almost lost them during the Men's US Open. They were too hard and with the domed greens, the landing areas were tiny. Can you imagine what that would have done to the women who spin the ball much less? So yes they changed them for the women but they were too hard for the men.
There are a lot of very good public tracks in the Bay Area. Other than those mentioned, one of the best, maybe 45 minutes south of San Leandro is San Juan Oaks. Very nice, tough track designed by Fred Couples and another architect whose name eludes me. Another fine course in Livermore is Poppy Ridge. I believe there are 27 holes out there. Try Metropolitan Gold Links in Oakland. There's a good looking Nicklaus course off of 101 called Cinnabar Hills.   But as mentioned...
He did not look obese. Maybe by definition he was but to me Dufner looked like a guy who had a gut and was maybe 20 pounds overweight. When I think obese, I think John Daly a few years ago when he was swilling Colas.