or Connect

Posts by nickel_aTm

@aviva Another Texas guy here.  I have a pair of black FJ winter gloves and love 'em.  Best 20 bucks I've spent, though only needed them once thus far in Houston.
Like any other driver, we should test it well and/or be fitted before pulling the trigger.   I've got an SLDR (12*).  I messed with it a bit but reverted back to the neutral settings and am pleased.  I picked up some distance (would guess 8-10 yards on average) over my Ping G20.  Like the look.  Like the trajectory.  What I like most is the lower spin.  Balls don't seem to get as crooked as before if I hook or cut unintentionally and I KNOW it doesn't balloon into the...
 A couple guys I play with (both in the 5-7 handicap range) were fitted closer to your setup -- i.e. stiff with driver, 3-wood, hybrid but regular shafts in their irons.  And I know they both have more club head speed than me.  I've never had a lesson in my life.  It's a compact swing, which I think is a little quick with the transition and load.  Maybe that's the reason I felt better with the S300's. 
@Playah No, I didn't take demo sets on the course.  We relied on the Trackman, which obviously was hit outdoors.  Yes, I hit the R300 a bit further (sometimes), but nothing significant.  I'm no great player and my swing obviously isn't grooved like a tour player or anything.  But compared to the S300, my swings with the R300 were less consistent in terms of both distance and accuracy.   Hitting the 6-iron, R300's would go anywhere from mid-150's to mid-160's and the S300...
@RaCs I was fitted for the first time a couple years ago.  Though I certainly thought highly of Titleist equipment, I didn't go into the fitting with any preference as to OEM or model -- I just wanted the best "fit" for me in terms of look, feel, and of course performance.  The training center I went to isn't "married" to just one or two OEMs, so they literally tried several options with me -- Taylormade, Titleist, Nike, Adams, Callaway, etc.   I ended up with the...
I really like the multi-compounds with cords because I prefer not to wear a glove.  And in hot humid Houston summers, they may a big difference compared to some others. I like how those feel -- a LOT.  Used to have them on my driver/3 wood/hybrid.  But I found them to wear much quicker than multi-compounds.  My grip pressure might be a little firm, but it's not like I'm squeezing the shite out of the club or anything.
 Exactly why we should hit 'em before buying.  Like you said, I'd be about 99% sure the shaft was the difference.  Guess I'm lucky the SLDR S's Fukijura "fits" me.
I've messed with some others but always liked the Golf Pride multi-compounds the most overall.  I had this version on my irons and driver for probably two years before they started looking dirty (probably 75-80 rounds), but they were definitely in need of replacement.         Recently put these on.  A little color without being gaudy.  
 @vangator To opine on one of the suggested options, I picked up an SLDR S a few months back, which replaced my Ping G20.  I picked up some distance (probably 10-15 yards on average).  I don't hit it very far and normally don't get too crooked. I knew the SLDR was designed to launch higher with less spin.  Less spin also means less side spin.   I've noticed a little less hook or cut on bad swings.  Better distance + more fairways = happy camper. Obviously, would go hit a...
I order 2 dozen at a time from lostgolfballs.com. Even with the shipping, I pay $58-$60 for top quality vs $95 for two dozen new. So way to really show em buying new locally.