or Connect

Posts by Ole_Tom_Morris

As a hypothesis to be tested by observation, I predict that when a golfer shows the "swing spring-back effect" it is related to tension in muscles antagonistic to the golf swing, that swing speed is lower (though the one swinging the club thinks he is swinging harder), that there is increased probability that the shot is suboptimal, and increased chance of that golfer suffering an injury.  
Was play faster in the 1950s?   From the USGA Journal, July, 1950, quote:   "The pace and mode of lay by some golfers have now reached the state where they closely resemble civil engineers...  One person who doesn't like the unfortunate slowness of today's golf is P.W. Furlong of Pomona, Cal., who has written the USGA as follows:   '"It now takes me five hours to play a leisurely three hour round of golf !!     "'If a few strokes were added to the scores of the...
Is there any correlation with "springing-back" with injuries?   With the quality of the shot?  With measured swing speed?   I mean, talking about muscle physiology,  this ought to have some significance.
The thread is about what some deem slow play at the professional level.   Did you notice the tendency above turn it to slow play for everybody?     My own thesis in the thread I started was that slow play on the PGA Tour is not the same as slow play for average golfers, because the conditions are not the same -- nobody in a pro tournament has to get home ASAP to an impatient spouse or dinner engagement, and if the players behind are held up a little,  darn it, they don't...
So it's related to swing speed?  
Something's been bugging me for years.    You know how some golfers -- Michelson is an example, at least sometimes -- will follow through after a full swing and instead of holding the follow-through position their arms will bounce back as though their muscles were made of rubber and resisting the follow-through?   Always wondered about that.   Is it good or bad?   Is it related to the tension of opposing muscles?  
There have always been slow players and fast players.   People have different inner clocks.   If a ton of money and a career is riding on a game, then everybody ought to be allowed to take their time, within limits, instead of -- for example -- being limited to 45 seconds to address and strike the ball.   Slow play can be gamesmanship.  Good example are baseball pitchers on the mound, who are not only psyching themselves up for a good pitch but psyching out the...
Complaints about the pace of play at the Texas Open that finished yesterday:  http://www.golfchannel.com/news/jason-sobel/pace-play-once-again-takes-center-stage-tour/?cid=Email_MondayNL_20140331   IMO, slow play on a pro tour is not the same animal as slow play for ordinary golfers, and should not be put in the same category as slow play on your local course.      Why?   At the Valero, these were pro golfers.   They didn't have dinner dates or appointments to keep 4...
Right Edge, I can empathize in a couple of ways.  First off, when you try to start a conversation about somebody else, it's not uncommon to find yourself attacked.  Thick skin helps.   Second, I find myself in a similar boat when it comes to hitting a driver.     I actually got re-interested in golf about 10 years ago, and particularly in the sport of long drive.  Not that I was any good at it.   Few days ago I played a round after a long layoff.   (Developed arthritis...
This thread seems mostly about the right elbow.   Lately I've been worrying about the left one.      You remember where in Five Lessons Hogan talks about pointing the elbows backward and inside of the elbows forward?   That diagram where the arms are bound together in front with bands?    Like probably most of us I tried that a little and then quit thinking about it.   What difference does it make?   Isn't it better to just relax the arms and take a natural elbow...