or Connect

Posts by bradsul

The weather has FINALLY started to cooperate here in Southern Ontario.  My [new] home course opened up yesterday at noon and I was able to go out today and play.  They had a 10 hole temporary layout open (out of 27 holes).  I didn't bother to keep score but I hit 3 or 4 pars which is more than I thought I'd be able to do.  I decided to play it safe and use my 3H off the tee, managed to hit every fairway but had a little distance control issue getting onto the greens.  My...
I use Ultleys method out to about 70 yards (both chips and pitches) at which point I switch to a half to 3/4 swing with my SW.  Distance really isn't a problem and I find distance control with his method is really easy to dial in.   I also like how he defines the difference between a chip and a pitch as simply being with a pitch you're using the bounce and a chip is struck with a normal descending blow hitting the ball first.  So you can hit both 50yd pitches when...
I love Stan Utley's method myself.  I read his book the Art of the Short Game and it made a massive difference in my game almost immediately.  His method is simple but solid and dependable.   His sand method might seem a little odd at first but I've found it to be every bit as reliable as his chip and pitch shots.  I went from just crossing my fingers and hoping to hack it out of the sand to being confident of getting up and...
I was stuck in low 90's for what seemed like ages.  As has been repeated several times now, take basic stats so you have an objective answer as to where you are suffering the most lost strokes.  That will tell you what you need to practice rather than what you think you should practice (not always the same).   For myself, I was hitting fairways but not hitting enough greens.  And when I did hit greens I wasn't getting nearly enough 2 putts.  When I missed the green I...
I've spoken to a few people who really got their money's worth but it seems to depend on how flexible you are for tee times.  I could never get onto a course in my area when I was availalble to play.  So for me it really wasn't worth it (I didn't even make my money back in savings).  I've decided on golfnorth.ca this year, I know lots of people who do really well with that.
Here is a pretty good read if you find this kind of thing interesting.  I don't have any real interest in surfing but the stories about them and the scientists are pretty cool.   The Wave by Susan Casey   http://www.amazon.com/The-Wave-Pursuit-Rogues-Freaks/dp/0385666675
Golf Canada had a blog entry about it a year or two ago.  I don't think our rules differ much [if at all] from USGA so I'd say it's most likely legal for you guys as well.   http://www.golfcanada.ca/blogs/rcga-rules-of-golf/article2840.ece   I messed around with it on the practice green a bunch.  I found it worked quite well as long as the fairway was cut tight enough.
With all-grain you can start getting into some really fun stuff like decoction mashing as well.  They make for long days but are so much fun!  The end product is amazing too.  My first full decoction mash was a Vienna Lager.  After an 8 hour brew day, 2 weeks of fermentation, 3 months of lagering and another 2 weeks to carbonate the keg... we blew through the whole thing in one night at a poker game because no one could stop drinking it!  Totally worth it though!
You can make a session beer in as little as 3 weeks.  Though 4-5 is generally best for a nice session beer (ordinary bitter, mild, etc).  I got out of homebrewing to get into golf but I was a full all-grain brewer.  I actually miss it but I put on an awful lot of weight having all that delicious beer around.  Especially once I moved from bottles to kegs!   I also made FAR more than not only I could consume but even more than I could give away!  I still have a pretty...
If you're trying to cure yourself is hitting it fat, try putting a towel a couple inches behind the ball.  Move it progressively closer as you get more and more confident striking the ball.  Nothing cures hitting it fat like the shame of having to retrieve your towel repeatedly from down-range.   Otherwise definitely painters tape, I'd hate to use a mat after someone covered it in chalk or flour or something.  I don't really want my clothes covered in it.