or Connect

Posts by bradsul

82, Par 70, 72.2/129, 6622yds   Played a really challenging scottish links style course yesterday.  Really windy so I didn't hit many greens, also had putting issues (didn't drain anything over 8ft).
64, Par 62, 59.7/98, 3990yd   Played a fun and challenging (very hilly, lots of hazards) executive course today.  My parents are members so with the long weekend early twilight and members discount it's a great deal.  I had 4 bogeys and 2 birdies, each split evenly per side.  Nice and consistent and my putting was excellent today.  Going to find something longer tomorrow, but the executives sure do give you a great idea of where your iron game is.
I carry a 17deg 4W that I rarely use (I don't carry a 3W). I carry 230yd with my 7W and 275yd with my driver and rarely seem to find myself in need of the 250yd shot of the 4W. It probably has to do a lot with the courses I play though. I remember on my trip to Florida I pulled it out a lot more, long holes with huge fairways aren't the norm around here.
81, Par 71, 71.0/131, 6200yds   Not a tough course by the numbers but you need to be pretty exacting with your tee shots.  The landing areas are small and the trouble is plentiful.  I lost a couple strokes to bad club selection hitting through fairways into hazards.  A couple questionable 3 putts I should have taken more time on.  I swear breaking 80 must be mental, I keep doing stupid things costing me a stroke or two to keep me out of the 70's!
85, Par 71, 70.1/121 6450yds.   Another weird day.  My driver was singing (13 of 13 fairways) but I had four 3 putts.  Seems like the more fairways I hit the worse my putting.  I just had no feel whatsoever with the putter today, it felt like I was swinging a mop or something.   Part of the blame though goes to my approaches which just weren't tight enough; I was hitting greens but almost always left the longest first putt possible.  I think tomorrow I'm going to...
82, Par 72, 70.6/132, 6420yds.  Fairly tight parkland style.   I had a miserable day off the tee, I hit only 3 fairways and 6 greens in total.  I still managed to scramble my way to an 82 though so at least my short game was working.   I loved the course but the bunkers were awful.  They were filled with - and I'm not kidding - brick sand.  Might have been a choice based on the history of the area, or maybe it's just because it's cheap since it comes from down...
I spend usually 1.5-2hrs to hit 130 balls.  I start off with wedges and skip a club all the way up through the bag, hitting 3-5 balls with each.  I always do my normal pre-shot routine with every shot.   If I have something specific to work on I'll then do that for as long as I need.  Then I usually do a ladder through my bag.  I will hit driver, wedge, driver, PW, driver, 9i, etc. all the way through the bag and then back down again.  When I get to the longer clubs...
You won't hurt a steel shaft.  I just heat with a heat gun (torch works too but careful not to get it too hot) and pull the clubhead off with a work glove.
If it's straight away I like my approaches on par 4's between 150 and 100 yards so I'll hit whatever club will get me in there.  Otherwise I will let the hole design dictate the club to lay up or carry a hazard or whatever.   For a par 5 I will hit a driver unless the hole design dictates otherwise.   If a fairway is really tight I'll probably drop down to my 7W which I'm really comfortable with in terms of accuracy.
I make sure my temples and the back of my head are protected by my arms and turn away from wherever I think the yell came from.   A few years ago a buddy got hit in the back of the head with an errant tee shot.  He just collapsed to the ground out cold.  We seriously thought he was toast, never seen someone do that before.  Paramedic said he was really lucky.