or Connect

Posts by awmgolfer

I try to get beginners on the course as quickly as possible, it won't be from tee to green but usually we would start around the 100 yard marker. This is after doing some basics on the putting green and on the range. From there we slowly move back as their ability increases. My biggest thing is I want them to always be able to finish the hole. Since I teach in groups due to coaching we usually do it in chunks, spend some time each day on the practice green, driving range,...
We are still about 3 to 3 1/2 weeks from opening day but some downstate courses are open so hopefully going to be playing my first round of the year next week...finally. One round next week will at least hold me over till our course opens.
Congratulations and have fun!! I am going into my 8th year coaching our varsity golf team and love every moment of it. The first thing is go in with no expectations other then play your game. If you go in with an expectation of shooting a certain score and you start pulling away from that goal it can quickly snowball, no expectations. That does not mean to play with no confidence, I am extremely confident when playing but it is one shot at a time. Stay in the moment, when...
We don't have much of a program at our local course for starting beginners though it is slowly growing. What ends up happening is many will join the golf team never having swung a club before or only having hit a ball a few times. I always start from the green and work them back from there. Once they begin getting a feel for the 100 yard shot I will take them up to an executive type course we have up the road where that will help build the confidence and interest while...
I had an awful case of the hooks come into my swing about halfway through last season. It started on the last nine of a scramble and took me forever to figure out and it was something so minor and fundamental I had a pretty good laugh when I figured it out. No clue how or why I started doing it but gotta love it..lol. I tried every fix I could think of and could find online with no luck and it finally hit me after really thinking about it, I am a righty and my right hand...
Now I am starting to get the bug to be out playing badly. We still have snow drifts about 10 feet high and a solid layer on the ground a few feet deep. This is the deepest snow pack Northern Maine has had for a long long time this late in the year. Some warmer temps are coming so hoping to have a quick melt and still be out playing in early May, I hope..lol. Luckily the school owns an Optishot so a few kids and I play on it twice a week which has helped out a bit but still...
When I was in high school I played a bit and would shoot between a 95 - 110 and then I stopped playing aside from maybe one round over the summer for the next 10 years. I came back to playing in 2008 as I took on a golf coach position that they were having trouble filling. I figured I needed to get my game in order but I was easily shooting 110 - 120 my first year back. I had a wicked slice that went out about 200 yards at best and would end up 60 - 100 yards right of my...
That is what nailed us in Northern Maine last year. We have been getting a thaw in January with a bit of rain which melted most of the snow, refroze, melted again and then froze up for the rest of the winter. Had to reseed the greens 3 times for it to finally take and had temporary greens on most of the course until late June but never really got good until late July. Tough year last year, luckily the snow survived this years January thaw so we should be in good shape plus...
A handful of times each year, especially just after the greens have been punched I play a game with the golf team. The green is the hole so all you have to do is hit the green and you are done. It is amazing how their scores change when you have a different mindset when going into the green. It's a great way to play and adds some nice variation.
Golf is Not a Game of Perfect is pretty much required reading for the golf team I coach along with the Little Red Book. I also read through both books just before the season starts and it helps me out a lot.