or Connect

Posts by awmgolfer

I find that it adds a few strokes but nothing major, tend to make a few more of the bigger putts and miss a couple of the shorter ones. What frustrates me more about aerated greens is the approach shots. Hit a nice wedge from 80 yards out right where you want it and it catches one of the holes just in the right spot and shoots off in the opposite direction. I definitely don't get the ball as close to the hole that time of the year then I do when the greens are in good shape.
Well we had 10" of heavy wet snow fall today in Northern Maine so my season is pretty much over, hoping after it melts we slip in one or two mild days to maybe get out one last time. My plan this winter is to take a little time off  and then in January get back to swinging. The golf team bought an OptiShot last year that I have setup in the music room at our high school where I teach so I go in once or twice a week and play on it. I am working on my hip turn as I tend to...
One of my biggest issues is I tend to take too big of a back swing and this year I was determined to shorten it. I hit the ball last year on average about 245 yards and this year I am averaging 265 and have hit a few out there around 280 which for me is really good. It all came from just shortening my backswing, something the pro I am friends with has been trying to get me to do for a while. It has made my swing much more consistent as that has been my overall goal this...
We have a similar sounding hole, one of the worst holes at our course but do the the ground there is nothing they can really do to fix it. There is a line of trees down the left and just left of the tree line is OB. The right side is the woods and everything slopes hard to the right. There is a catch bunker about 200 yards up and the only real flat spot is about 250 out but it is about 20 yards wide. If you go long you are either in the woods, right in front of the green,...
I have a tendency to rush my swing when I get tired and being a musician tempo is very engrained so I use a 3 count. 1 initiates the start of the back swing, 2 is on it's way to the top, and 3 is the start of the downswing. I have a certain speed I do it at and if I find myself slipping into that fast swing I take a couple practice swings before I start my pre-shot routine doing the count and usually that syncs it back up for me.
I use a Maltby 7 wood and have used it since last year and it is my go-to club in tight situations. I also use it in place of hybrids as I don't carry any and plus I can hit it out of deep rough with the same ease as a hybrid, for me. I get a very high ball flight with mine as I put a shaft on it for that reason and can get around 220 out of it on average. For me it is one of those clubs I know on very tight tee shots 9 times out of 10 I am putting it just about where I...
I was out with our local golf pro who I am good friends with and he was sitting in the cart which was parked in front of me and maybe a foot or two towards my front. Something I do once in a blue moon especially with my wedges is a shank and sure enough I shank the ball right into the back part of his leg. It was a full swing and he was about 5 feet away, left a nice welt but he was laughing pretty hard. 
Something else to keep in mind you will generally have more sidespin issues with a lower loft driver. Your height is more effected by your shaft, especially with the driver. You won't notice much of a height change between a 10.5 and a 9, the shaft is where you wanted to look. You will see more of a curve to the right or left with the lower loft. I made a similar change a few years back for the same reason and it lowered very little, changed the shaft and that completely...
I grew up playing an old set of RAM blades, when I came back to golf I purchased a new set which were GI heads and hit them just fine but the look of them drove me nuts. Ended up getting a set of blades and hit them no worse or better but they just feel right to my eye. Have to be comfortable and like what's in your hand and for me GI heads just don't look right. The kids on the golf team try mine every now and then and they grew up starting out with GI heads and to them...
I try to get beginners on the course as quickly as possible, it won't be from tee to green but usually we would start around the 100 yard marker. This is after doing some basics on the putting green and on the range. From there we slowly move back as their ability increases. My biggest thing is I want them to always be able to finish the hole. Since I teach in groups due to coaching we usually do it in chunks, spend some time each day on the practice green, driving range,...