or Connect

Posts by HmtGolfGuy

In a recent Golf Magazine, there was a tip on turning your hips more during the backswing.  I experimented with it the last time I played, and saw a significant improvement in several areas (power, consistency, ball flight).  For the average golfer, too much emphasis is placed on creating a "power coil" by turning the shoulders against the hips when they aren't physically capable of doing so.  Turn the hips, then start the downswing by turning them back towards the...
I've got a similar issue with a gap in yardage.  Mine's between my 3-iron (not quite as accurate as I'd like, but steadily improving to match the other irons) and my Driver.  Different yardages than yours, but same large gap.  Since I carry 4 wedges, I've only got room for 1 club.  I'm trying to find something that's easily controlled, enough distance to use as an alternate driver and go for some par 5's in 2, yet has a a high enough ball flight that it doesn't run right...
I primarily play the Penta TP3.  I hear they're being discontinued, but if you can still find them they usually are on sale.  Not the equal of a ProV, but a VERY good all-around ball.  I'd rate distance, spin, workability and feel all about 8.5-9 on a 1-10 scale, and pretty durable.   
Also have a Tight Lie Tour 17 degree, same challenges as the Sonartec.  It's a little higher flight, but still fairly low, a little easier to work left/right, but still difficult from the rough.  Definitely not as long, give up about 20, sometimes even 15 yards for only 1 degree extra loft and very similar flight pattern.  As they fly and play just about the same I'm sticking with the Sonartec for the extra distance - at least for now!
I play a Sonartec 16 degree.  The thing is a rocket, nearly as long as my 9 degree Titleist driver, but even lower trajectory with the original shaft.  Put a higher launch shaft in it and it's still no higher than my driver.  LOTS longer than the 3 wood I was playing.  Great off the tee, only give up about 15 yards vs the driver and feel confident letting it rip on tight driving holes.  O.K. from the fairway (lack of height can be an issue), quite challenging from the...
Quote:   Spin difference with a wedge would be minimal, if anything the ProV1 might spin a little more.  However, modern balls and clubs are designed to impart spin differently depending on the type of shot and club, for example the spin off a driver is only a fraction of what you get with a wedge.  On the other hand, balata's spun a lot off every club, so it was a LOT easier to shape shots.  That could work both for or against you, depending if the "shaping" was...
Still have a Powerbilt Citation, real persimmon, take it out a couple days a year just for fun.  Unbelievably sweet when hit right, on good swings distance is essentially the same as my Titleist metal driver.  MUCH easier to work left/right/high/low (even with today's balls), but don't mishit it, those shots get ugly in a hurry.   If I ever find a matching 4-wood I'll grab it! (Current fairway "wood" is a 16.5 degree Titleist with the small head so it'll be a...
It's not really a matter of how far you turn your hips on the backswing, it's about the difference between your hip and shoulder turn.  Lots of golfers try and keep the lower body very quiet, turning the shoulders to create tension between the hips and shoulders to create power (think Lee Westwood or Ernie Els).  Others turn the hips quite a bit, allowing a bigger shoulder turn, but still maintaining the difference between the two to create their power (think Bubba...
  This is exactly why this thread even exists and why you will probably never understand someone who does "fluff".  I've played for over 40 years, and in every round I've posted for handicap purposes or during tournament play I've never "fluffed" a lie unless moving the ball is within the rules.  However, sometimes I play to work on a certain aspect of my game, or try different strategies on holes, or maybe trying to hone a draw played to hold or ride the wind.  At those...
I am quite impressed with the TP3 - used to play the "original" Penta, also played some with the ProV1 (not 1x).  Price vs. Performance is excellent  For more info, check out the review I posted in the User Review - Equipment - Golf Balls - Mid-Level section of this website.