or Connect

Posts by turtleback

When I retired a few months ago we moved, so we bought one of those Blu-Ray players that lets you access a variety of online streaming services, including Amazon Streaming.  And since we already have Amazon Prime, there is a lot of the Amazon streaming we get for "free".   And now I can see how people can talk of cutting the cord  Like a lot of others about the only holding me is live sports, NFL, BPL, and golf.  Other than that my wife and I prefer watching stuff we...
 One of the reasons I like 3C is that it is much harder for the outsider observer to recognize just how lousy I am, as compared to pool where it is easy to tell. I was lucky that I fell in among some decent 3C players who taught me a lot.  And you may be familiar with the Robert Byrne book that is half pool and half 3C - that helped a lot as well.  Much more than pool it takes knowing the shots to recognize them and that takes time if you don't have someone showing you. If...
Any 3-cushion billiards players around?
Well I hope we will hear more from you.  There are a few of us here who have an interest in golf history and  you sound like you would have a lot to add.
 This is the one and only tiny piece of your excellent summary and judgement with which I disagree,  Jenkins was instrumental in the campaign to make the GOAT criteria number of majors won trumps everything.  So he liked Jack after he liked Hogan, the fickle, feckless, fool.
 At the one TST outing I ever went to - in SoCal about a year ago - before the round, guys were sharing stalls all over the place. On the practice range, too. 
 It twists my undies too.  But then I remember the times I've sliced or hooked a ball into the woods, got a good bounce, and the ball ended up in the fairway.  So if you want a drop for a bad break, in fairness you should have to throw the ball back into the woods when you get that good break.   To me, golf is about persistence and overcoming, not about expecting to be treated "fairly", which I'm not even sure I understand, in the golf context, since unfairness always is...
 Thanks for the tip and welcome to the board.  How did you happen to read my post and make it the occasion of your first post? Funny title for the book.  The is a little implication that there will be a SECOND 70 years in golf, which seems a bit optimistic.
 But I think you are right.  I moved a few months ago and I went from playing a 6500 yard course to a 6200 yard course (it has longer tees but the gap is up to 6800 which is too long for me).  And I moved up about 1500 feet in elevation (as an aside, can anyone quantify how much that elevation change should affect a drive, percentage-wise?)   It is sure nice to be hitting wedges and short irons into some of the greens for a change.  I'm totally sold on the benefits of...
 But I think what they are saying is that if you improve your swing fundamentals you might well (and should) end up doing both, getting the 20 yards AND the improved accuracy.  It is not either/or.  If you improve your accuracy by 2 degrees because you are hitting the ball more flushly on a better swing path with a better angle of attack, your distance will almost certainly be significantly better as well.  Some instructors do it one way other the other way.  If I recall...