or Connect

Posts by Roblar

I don't think my game is good enough to justify a range-finder or GPS --- too inconsistent with aim and distance with my clubs anyways.
So you're looking to get grilled?   I don't see how anyone can take offense to what you wrote.   I've played with a guy who talks a big game about himself.  If you listened to him, you'd think he was a scratch, but he scored in the mid-90s when we played. He hit a few nice shots -- and what was interesting was that his recap at the end of the round... only focused on his best shots. He seemed to forget all the bad ones. (He hit an 8-iron to close to 2 feet, so,...
Nice!   ...but what is someone from Ann Arbor doing with Crimson & Creme colored grips! ? !    And out of interest, what do you mean by build project?  Did you reshaft the heads yourself?  And where did the heads come from?  
If you're tired of buying new gloves while you work out this issue try putting a bit of duct tape on the spot that tears.   It's hardy stuff -- not as tacky as the glove, but if it's only a (relatively) small piece it shouldn't make a difference.    And if you don't want the 'classy' silver duct-tape look, I know they sell a lot of different colors and 'team-logo' duct tape these days too.   I have only done this twice. It worked best when I put the duct tape...
I usually "go for it" if I have little danger of losing the ball, or if I feel that the risk is about the same with another club.    If water is involved, then... it depends on how my round is going. If I'm scoring well, then I usually play a bit more conservatively, if not, I take risks.   As an example: there is a 280yd par 4 with trees down the entire left side, and a pond on the right (from about 140 yds on in) that slowly narrows the fairway as you get...
I'm still searching for the bottom of my swing, but I'm getting closer to finding it!   I generally don't top the ball anymore, but I do hit fat shots fairly often.  I'm getting a couple more lessons in the next few weeks, so hopefully I can improve on that area too.   That said, my game has improved significantly in the past year: half of my rounds were below 90, and I broke 80 three times (once from the whites, once from the blues, once from the blacks/tips), and the...
94 (46+48).   Disappointing score, but a fun day. I hit some good shots to go along with the bad ones.  It was windy, so I actually got a wind-assisted drive that went just over 300 yards! (I normally only get 240 or so on my better drives.)  ...ummm, I won't tell you about the drives that went straight into the wind though (but they didn't even make it to 200yds!)....    Rough day for penalties: I found water seven times - twice on the same hole (ended up taking...
I wish I were better at making those 'good' random pairings stick. But when the round ends, I just shake hands and say something like, "Thanks for the game." Then I walk off to the parking lot...   There's only one guy I play semi-regularly with: my neighbor.  He was the guy who first invited me to play about two and a half years ago (loaning me his son's clubs for several rounds).  He's stalled out at around 100, and I'm playing bogey golf fairly consistently these...
Yeah. Part of what made me start this was that I played a few courses while visiting family in CA, and I never broke 90 (five rounds), and I was closer to 100 than 90 on three of the rounds.  It seemed so strange to break 80 soon after that experience.  The obvious difference was that missing a fairway got severely punished out there, but back here, Westwood doesn't punish missed fairways much at all (except on a few holes).    I'm planning to play a much more challenging...
79 from the tips at my local (and short) muni (Westwood: par 70; 69.5/116).    Very pleased because that's an excellent round for me, and the first time I've broken 80 without some sort of asterisk attached.   Even more pleased because I managed to overcome taking a penalty on my very first swing (hooked into the driving range).