or Connect

Posts by phillyk

Nicklaus and Woods are all you need for this list.  They were the greatest of the game (of their generations), with endless drive to be the best and devotion to the game.
Get fit somewhere with irons that you feel fits your abilities, then find a pro you like at a golf course and get him to buy it for you.  They'll get you better deals than you'll find at any golf store.  Also gets you to know your local pro and get other good deals for lessons or golf deals.
I'd go with the 4w.  Long bunkers do really stink, and given the trouble you listed, leaving 75yds instead of 50yds should be fine.  Although only you can really know, because if you are confident about your shot zones, the answer should just pop out.  But if it were me, yes I'd lay it short, because its the first tee shot of the day and there may be jitters or you may not be fully warmed up.
I would like to take a class, but looking at the schedule would require too long a drive for me...I'm sure there are ways of getting better at green reading that i can find online, maybe not as good as AimPoint, though.  Yes, you can get better at reading greens, but I still feel that if one got there full swing and course management to the point of pro level status, that putting would be good enough to keep them there as well.I guess what my biggest problem is that I'm...
I was going to post this in another thread relating to watching other peoples putts all the time, but figured this thread would be more appropriate.   I am wondering, @iacas, about AimPoint classes.  You state in your book about putting not being a major influence of your game vs pros.  That at given distances, amateurs are almost as likely to make putts as the pros are, and is therefore, I would think, not something that can be improved drastically.  Green reading you...
I should also note, that reading Lowest Score Wins, helped quite a bit in my game plan.  So thanks @iacas for that!  I played driver off most tees because there wasn't a terrible amount of trouble at those landing zones and it left me easy wedges that I stuck almost every time.  Typically I played to 150 because i like that spot, but now its go ahead and rip it when you can because the closer you are, the more likely you are to hit the ball close.
Boy I got it back today!! Finally started to hit quality shots.  Played a 71.6/132 track, and shot a 71.  It only gets better (or worse, depends on how you look at it) from there.  I had 14GIR, BUT 10 of those greens gave me less than 10ft for a birdie putt! 10 great opportunities for birds and I made only 3 of them.  The flat stick let me down.  I even had a 3 putt today, with a total 32 putts.  Short game held up for the most part. Long game was great today.  I worked on...
I say "nice shot" when someone hits a shot they haven't hit all round, like going straight or hitting a good approach. I do get slightly annoyed when people say good shot and I hit the green with 40ft putt to go.  I know stats say differently, but If I pull a shot from 130yd, 15ft left, I know I miss hit it, and it's not a good shot.  I'll be content when it's within 10ft.  That's the way I get better, work harder getting approaches closer and more consistent.
Within 10yds, I'll trust a good 4iron traveling at 140mph or whatever to the body or head to stop someone than a bullet that may or may not hit something important enough to stop a person dead.  Or a knife, knife works just as good in short distances.  But in all honesty, a drunk guy carrying a golf club can't run nearly as fast as I can if it came to it.  I'm not willing to end a life because someone is drunk and stupid and coming for me.  And of course, as any one should...
Did something different today.  I focused on keeping my wrists steady and finishing my back swing.  In the vids you can see that when my club is parallel to the ground right after I start bring the club back, my clubface points straight up when it should point closer to my spine angle I think.  So I worked to get that better, and then finishing the backswing so that the top of my swing with the club points at the target to set my hands/club to go down.  As I stated in the...