or Connect

Posts by livendie4golf

Like the post above mine stated, it is much easier to get them fitted as you purchase them.  Most places will do it for free, or look online for a club demo day at a course or range near you.    As far as buying them and then getting fitted, it all depends on the type of irons you get to see how much you can actually change.  If you get a forged set they will still be able to bend them quite a bit.  However other irons can't be bent quite as much.   Hope this...
I took the plunge last night and ordered a set of new irons.  I have never been custom fit for clubs,so I figured that this was the year to do it.  I got the Titleist AP2's half inch over and 1 degree upright.   Has anyone here had good or bad luck with custom fit clubs, or getting new irons right at the beginning of the year?
Theres a few that come to mind but I think it comes down to 2.   1.  Sliced my drive on 18 (on the wrong side of the trees).  We were down 1 and I sliced a 3-wood through about 20 trees and stuck the green from about 240.  9/10 times I would have hit the first tree.   2.  Ball hopped into the water near the green on a par 5.  Saw the ball submerged in about 4 inches of water.  Took the shoes off, grabbed the lob wedge, and prayed to the golf Gods.  Nearly sank...
 I think the best thing to do is get into some sort of a routine.  I always pick my gap wedge to hit balls with.  The first few balls usually only travel about 100 yds.  Then once it starts going correctly I drop down to my SW, which now goes 100 yds.  I then go through my irons in sequence, skipping every other iron.  I either go PW-8-6-4 or 9-7-5-3.  Then hit a few drivers.  Depending on the number of Balls I feel like hitting I then play a few holes in my mind.  Hit a...
What Grips do you guys prefer for Drivers, Irons / Wedges, and Putters?   I prefer the New decade grips for my irons and recently put one on my driver and it feels very different.  Not bad, just a little weird.  Anyone else have a similar situation?   I know that you guys wont all agree on one particular grip.
The Top 6 in Order   The Duke University Course -- NC Carnegie Abbey -- RI Pinehurst No. 2 -- NC Blackstone National -- MA Kittansett Country Club -- MA Crumpin Fox -- MA    
Goal 1: Hit more than 50% of the fairways with my driver   Goal 2: Keep Putts under 32 per round   Goal 3: Get handicap steadily below a 5   Goal 4: Play as much golf as possible :-)
I would just try to keep your hands in front of the ball at address.  A little wrist cock is what a lot of pro's suggest.  It helps you hit down and through the ball which allows for a stronger swing through the ball at impact.    Technically speaking you want to hit the ball on a 4 degree downswing.   If your wrists are perfectly straight (most people) tend to pop the ball up, which then results in a very weak ball flight.   I hope that this wasn't too off...
Coming from a hockey player and golfer like you I would reccomend the AP1's or either of those Taylor Mades.  The AP2's might not be quite forgiving enough.  The R9 irons do have a pretty big face, which would give a hockey player a comfortable feel.   Just some thoughts.          
I started golfing in 9th grade and got a chance to be on the golf team.  So I spent the golf season (about 2 months golfing 5-6 times a week, 9-holes at a time) shooting in the 50's.  A low 60 popped up now and again, and the low round might have been under 50.  The I got a membership over the summer and started breaking 50 consistently.  That said the course over the summer was pretty easy.   Keep practicing.  As long as you can keep up with the pace of play, and...