or Connect

Posts by brightonrock

So many great replies but I really love this one! The two that spring to mind for me were both in matchplay tournaments, one fourball and one on my own. The one on my own was on #14, I was 2 down and looking out of it. It's a dogleg left par 4, SI1, maybe 200y to the corner and then easily over 200 coming into a pretty small green with a bunker at the front. Everything left is thick rough and scrub and trees too, so it's risk/reward depending on how much of the corner...
Okay so I'm wondering what the best "impossible" shot is people have hit? By that I mean not a hole in one or a big drive or putt, but a shot where you stand over it scratching your head as to what to do, thinking "this is going to need to be an absolutely brilliant shot to get out of this trouble". The sort of one where you know you won't make it 99 times out of 100, but for one reason or another you decide to go for it, even if it's that unlikely - maybe in a deciding...
4 600yard+ par 5's...3/4 200yard+ par 3s...6/10 par 4s more than 450yards...wow. That is just obscenely long. I have played (and miraculously parred - and up&down though, could never get home in regulation) just one 600yard+ hole in my life. I think I'd have a heart attack going that far in one day! It would be so demoralising hitting a perfect, flush drive and seeing still a long iron at the green on every single hole. Good luck though, hope your buddy makes it and we...
That's a great feeling, I got my first (and only) last summer on a short par 5 - nice drive, a 3 hybrid to the front edge and a 20-footer which *just* dropped in like Tiger's famous chip. I'd like to say I was composed and walked up calmly to get it out of the hole like I do that sort of thing every day, but actually I jumped about like a crazy person whilst screaming like a pre-teen girl at a Justin Bieber gig.   I have never holed out though, it must be a fantasic...
I know a lot of you guys are in the US so I'm not 100% sure whether you can access BBC iPlayer online (it may have region restrictions, I'm not sure) but there was a really touching documentary about Seve's life and career and his legacy, which aired a few nights ago over here in the UK. If you can access it, it's really worth watching...he was a little before my time unfortunately but even before I took up golf he was one of my sporting idols, for the way he played the...
Quote: He hit 64% fairways this week (ranked tied for 26th) according to the US Open website which admittedly isn't great but also isn't awful, at an average of 310 yards. Only 6 players who made the cut (Garrigus, Woodland, Johnson, Quiros, Bubba and Westwood) averaged further. I think when you hit it that far and leave yourself a wedge at the green, whether you're coming out of rough or the fairway, you stand a good chance. All these stats speak for themselves. 83% FIR...
Quote: That's shocking on your part I'm afraid. McDowell was ranked 37 the week he won the US Open last year. And going into the US PGA Kaymer was ranked 13. I don't pay religious attention to the rankings but I reckon I could name off the top of my head a minimum of 2/3rds of the top 100, let alone the top 30 or 40 players in the world. I'm not pitching into a US v Europe argument either but saying they were unknown because you hadn't heard of them is like me saying I...
Quote: I have been doing this recently when I'm struggling on/off with my driver, and find I hit it straighter too. I'm quite tall thoug - 6'2/6'3 - so I'd've thought a shorter shaft (or shortening it by choking down) would not naturally work for me. Who knew??  
A lot of it is personal - how you feel with the wedge yourself. Try some out on your local range, see what feels a good weight and balance, looks nice and you feel confident with at address, and that has a nice feel/sound off the clubface. Generally you can't go too far wrong with manufacturers, the technology nowadays makes little difference to high handicappers like you or I - I have 52/56/60 Nike SV wedges but as mentioned already, the 60 may take a little practice -...
Quote: Thanks for your comment. I think I have a half-decent set-up for my standard as I've played cricket since I was a kid and it's quite similar posture-wise. I will get myself down the range this week with the camera and film some face-on shots.