or Connect

Posts by AmazingWhacker

I guess there are at least a few reasons a golfer might hit fat shots.  I used to hit fat shots because I was swaying back off the ball as well as swinging directly at it vs through it.  Those were some pretty big fat shots . .like 2, 3, 4 inches behind the ball.     Nowadays I hit them a little chubby sometimes and I feel like it's because I'm hanging back - not getting my weight forward enough and club face still open at impact(ish).  But why am I hanging back?  I feel...
 100x this!   At one of the courses I used to play the green for hole #12 is right in the path of a wicked slice from tee box #13.  Of all the stupid places to put a tee box.  As a (former) slicer, I wouldn't even hit if there were people putting on that green . .which is just exactly what you don't want for pace of play reasons.    On this exact same course, the driving range is just off to the left of hole #1.  Whenever you tee off, there are tons of yellow range balls...
I have no idea what the real cause of you blading your wedges is . .but my teacher told me a trick that works pretty well for me.  Slow down your backswing a lot . . . almost to slow-motion speed.     My tendency (one of em) is to get quick, though.  This trick works great for me when I'm struggling.  It probably couldn't hurt for you to try it and see if it helps.  Hope it does!
Personally, I find the arrogance refreshing.  I was pulling for him last week.  I would have loved to seen the spectacle that would've followed him winning the masters.  Kiss the ring, baby!  Ah well . .maybe next year.
If you can afford to take some lessons, I highly suggest it.  Playing and teaching are 2 different skill sets.  I have a couple of single digit friends who've tried to help me.  I've also tried books and videos and, while I made some improvement, I never really got anywhere until I started taking lessons.     My teacher is expensive (heck, all golf lessons are expensive) so what I do is go in to see him about 3-4 times per year.  Sometimes more frequently, sometimes...
The thing that would scare me most are the green speeds.  They looked crazy on tv.  Only once did I play greens that were super-fast and it as brutal.  I mean, 4 putting from 10 feet away kind of brutal.  And I'm sure they were slower than Sunday at the Masters.   So if I figure twice as many putts, plus factor in the length and extra hazards vs where I normally play . . .and I would guess I would shoot around 125 if I played really well.  
 Yeah, what I need is thwack, poof.  What I got is thwick, argg!
 Yes, that's true .. everything he said was standard . .it was his way of explaining it (or not) that was the issue.  The con part was that, looking back, I don't feel he really made that much of an effort.  His lessons weren't cheap.   His way of explaining impact/release was classic . .I wish I had it on video.  He would make a whipping motion with his arms and say "whoosh!" (kind of).  That was the only verbal explanation I ever got . . . ."whoosh!".   He'd say "you...
My first teacher was maybe a little bit of a con artist.  I mean . .not really .. but a little bit.  He could hit the ball awesome.  He was in his 60's and could drive it pretty close to 300 yards.  He could hit it well over 200 yards sitting in a chair.  He could hit it high, low, draw, fade, yada, yada.  And he would go on and on about what an awesome instructor he was.  I'm not gonna say he was a bad instructor all-around but I didn't learn anything in 8 lessons with...
2 things . .a strategy and a trick.  My strategy is to *visualize* (not think about) my takeaway.  I'm sure different things work for different people but that's what works for me.  No thoughts like "keep wrist flat" or whatever.  The only other thing I will think about, and again it's more of a visualization thing, is a slow, smooth tempo.    Ok - but that never works and usually my mind is cluttered with 20 different thoughts so here's a trick you can use.  I do...