or Connect

Posts by AmazingWhacker

4w, 8iron.    4w because that's the only fairway wood I have and I don't hit my 3 or 4 irons all that well.  8 iron because it seems like it would give me a reasonable approach distance and not be too bad to chip and putt with.  8 iron is also the longest iron in the bag that I hit my best.  What I mean is . . I hit the 3 and 4 pretty poorly, the 5 ok, the 6 and 7 pretty good . .but I hit my 8iron through wedges so much better.  I can hit my 8 iron almost as far as my 7...
If we played at my home course off my usual white tees . .I would score a lot better.  I'm going to assume I get a really great tour pro whose having a really great day . . .and so his tee shots will carry up to 100 yards further than mine.  That's going to make a BIG difference for me in my approach shots.  In some cases he would be able to drive the par 4's or leave me with just a short chip for GIR.  Even then I wouldn't shoot par or anything .. but I'd definitely have...
Other than a few lucky shots on short par 3's, I didn't birdie any holes my first couple years of playing.  I do make some birdies now on par 4's and especially par 5's . .but, I know it sounds strange probably, birdies aren't really something I think about or try for . . .when it happens, I'm always amazed.  First of all, I don't really consider myself as having a real "birdie chance" unless I'm within 10 feet .. and that just doesn't happen that often.  And when it does,...
I either practice at the range or at home with a mat and net.  At home, I tend to do several 15-20 minute sessions per day.  In each "mini-session" I usually just swing 1 club.   At the range, I always start out with light (not enough) stretching followed by anywhere from 10-20 half swings with a wedge.  Then I'll typically work my way through the wedges and irons - often times skipping clubs here and there.  fex . .I might hit my gap, 9iron, 8iron, 6iron on 1 day but my...
In Sweden, you have to be certified before you can play golf . .I don't know much about it but that's what some Swedish co-workers told me.     Personally, I don't like the idea of getting certified/tested to play golf.  Who's going to administrate it?  How much time will it take?  How much will it cost?  blech.     I'd MUCH rather see marshals enforcing the course rules.  I'm sure they do at better courses . .but I wouldn't personally know about that, lol. 
I think what Tiger really did was bring a ton of money into the game.  Because he drew such high ratings and attendance, tournament purses went up and up.  In 1990, Greg Norman was the money list leader @ $1,165,477.  This year the top 81 players made more than that.  I think if Tiger were to suddenly announce he was never going to play again - we'd eventually see tournament purses go down . or at least not substantially increase for a very long time.     There are...
Golfs already too easy.  Soccer Golf sounds cool . .but I would keep the cups the same size and, instead, add a goalie.    IMO - making golf easier will never work.  Golf is great BECAUSE it's so hard.  If you always hit the ball where you wanted, it would take away about half of the game.    In terms of saving time and money . .I'm all for lower greens fees, unconventional courses and 9 (or 6 or even 3) hole rounds . . but the game is fine the way it is.    Yeah ....
I read on espn.com that Rory "hung out in NY for a few days after the PGA, then returned to Europe . .hung out there for a bit . .then went to the Manchester United opener on Saturday, flew to the US on Sunday, had corporate obligations with Nike on Monday . .and then went to The Barclays.    I'm older than Rory but that just sounds ridiculous.  I travel for work and just spending 4 days away from home and the travel back and forth pretty much wipes me out on the...
I don't think anybody disagrees that the short game is what you need to lower your score. If the question where how to break 90 or 80 then I would agree that the short game is what will do it. Most golfers who shoot over 100, though, need accurate distance even more than chipping and putting. When I used to shoot over 100, I had a tendency to always be hitting on the green for par or bogey. Doesn't matter how good a chipper I was, I was not going to break 100 until I...
 I agree with #1 definitely.  As a new golfer I read and heard a lot about how distance and driving is a distant second to the short game in terms of lowering your score.  For me breaking 100, though . . . distance was the main thing.  When you've done everything you need to do to be able to hit somewhat accurate drives over 200 yards you almost can't help but break 100.   Note - I'm not talking about distance being the key to becoming a great golfer or a scratch golfer or...