or Connect

Posts by AmazingWhacker

I don't think The Players needs to be a "5th major" nor should it replace any of the existing four . . it's good the way it is.  Everybody knows it's an important tournament and I actually don't think declaring it a major would make that much of a difference, anyway.  I don't see the majors as being all that different from any top-field event . .I don't think it's any easier or more difficult to win The Players than any of the 4 majors.     If it were up to me . .the...
Well . .I play par3 courses every chance I get . .sometimes once or twice a week.  I consider that practice.  It's the only short-game practice I get, too . .because all the courses I play at have "no chipping" signs all around the practice greens.     Maybe once a summer I might practice putting for like 20 minutes.  It's boring and I've always been a decent enough putter.  
I think match play is an easy way to add some competitiveness - on each hole you have a chance to win or lose.  You don't have to play the whole back 9 knowing you shot yourself out of the match on the front.     One really easy trick I learned that definitely works for me is just to say "Hey, watch this" before you address the ball to hit a shot.  Seriously . .if I do that, I reduce my chances of hitting a good shot by 75% at least . . it's exactly the same feeling I...
At least it was Ben Crane.  If it was Tiger, Phil or Rory then chances are the little back-and-forth munis I like to play would become very dangerous places.  Well . .on the other hand, if more golfers started aiming for alternate fairways . .would that mean more or less balls landing in alternate fairways?  Not sure.  
120-shooter me did take the driver out of the bag for a while.  I did not hit the driver well at all.  I did not hit any clubs well at all - but the results were worse with the driver than just about any other club.  I kind of was kidding myself that I was better with the 3W off the tee.  I probably would've been best off hitting my tee-shots with a 7-iron.  I probably could've shot a lot better scores if I took everything lower than the 7 out of the bag . .maybe I still...
Nope.  I either play or I go to the range . .but never both.  I used to golf with a "serious golfer" every now and again.  One time he paid for us both to play a really nice course and insisted we go to the range first . .who was I to say "no"?  I didn't find it helpful at all.     But you have to consider the circumstances and the golfer.  I couldn't care less if I shoot 88 or 90 or 95.  I enjoy golf but I'm not a "serious golfer".  When I was shooting 120+, I was...
Really . .we should stop digging into every aspect of an athlete's life.  I'm sure Jordan Spieth is a great guy but I'm pretty sure he's human, too.  Let's pretend, just for a second, that he is the "Next Tiger Woods".  Will he hold up to the scrutiny of constant media attention, cameras following everywhere, people tweeting every time he says so much as "dammit", golf analysts detailing every aspect of his game and life (or complaining that they have no access)?  Can...
Yeah. I would go as far as to say the slowest groups on the course are *always* in carts.
Will the golf media never learn? I'm not ready to talk about a Rory/Jordan rivalry. I've only just recently started thinking Rory could be for real. Jordan is a great player, obviously but he has a lot more to show me before I start thinking of him in terms of Hogan, Nicklaus, Woods and the rest. When Louis Oosthuizen won the open in dominating fashion in 2010 - I was saying - here's the next big deal. He's got a picture perfect swing and he just stomped the field in...
With a cart, by myself, on an empty course I can play an easy 18 in 2 hours.  Depending on the course layout, I can play a walking 18 almost as fast.  Basically, when I play, I know what club I'm going to hit when I reach the ball, I almost never change my mind about what club, I either take no practice swing or just a single half-swing motion while not addressing the ball.     I just don't benefit from anything more than that.  I play my best when I pretty much "walk up...