or Connect

Posts by Socketeer

Reminds me of an old golfing joke.   One of our lady members went out playing in a short skirt.   Within the hour, she was in the pro shop complaining, "I've been stung by a bee on me fanny, it's ever so sore and I can't close my legs together".    She then asked the pro what she should do.  The pro responded with, "try widening your stance"!   Ha Ha!
I played true blades for many years first Wilson FG17 and then FG49.   Up until recently I played with and still have a set of Titleist 695MBs 2 iron thru to PW.   My view is if you are playing often and practising regularly, then blades are the thing.  They give far more feedback than the "forgiving" irons and you learn how to strike the ball better because of it.   I have moved to AP2s now, mainly because I know I ain't going to be playing as regular,...
Just bought a set of Titleis AP2s 3-PW = 720 pounds. Also got a 910 driver, 15 deg and 13.5 deg fairway woods and a 19 and 17 deg hybrids = around 1,100 pounds at top price. Vokey wedges - I have many of these but say 3 in the bag at any one time = about 300 pounds. Scotty Cameron putter - around 250 pounds. Total = around 2370 pounds. The bag, balls (ProV1 at 55 pounds a dozen), gloves, rain gear, electric trolley, SkyCaddy, etc. etc. etc. - how long is a piece of...
Have any of you chaps ever spoken with Tom? I have, be it all by email. My query was regarding the principles and claims behind the design of adjustable heads in the latest drivers, fairways and hybrids. He didn't make any attempts to sell me anything but his advice was extremely useful and confirmed my thoughts completely. I won't go into the details but suffice it to say the design is suspect. The amount of adjustability is so little the effects of the adjustments...
You really need to read Tom Wishon's books on searching for the perfect clubs. It will enlighten and save you a fortune! All the bulls**t that we are subjected to by the manufacturers and strangely non-critical magazines who show very little neutrality or unbiased opinion. Its as if the golfing press are acting as advertising agents. I see fantastic claims of leaps in technology that are more akin to space travel or flight. I worked in a technological role in the...
I am trying to find out how many major championships have been won with either broomhandle or belly putters.   Does anyone know where I can find this information? Can anyone confirm what Wayne Grady used in the 1990 PGA Championship?
I have it on good authority that Titleist have a product introduction program that covers the next 5 years ongoing. So on the basis of that information in theory it would have been possible to see the design for the 913 series drivers, fairways and hybrids around the same time you were buying the 905 series. When questioned by a club pro at a conference in Marbella, Spain, about what he should do with his current stock and that it seemed unjust that the playing public...
Yes - I remember the old Warbirds!   I remember the Memphis 10 steel shafts too - fabulous!   I have a load of old Wilson, TaylorMade and Titleist clubs in my garage but no longer have the Callaway Warbirds - I regret not hanging on to these great clubs.   They were the ones before the big move over to titanium heads.  Callaway went stupid and started charging ridiculous sums for their Great Big Bertha driver, (something like £500) and they lost me.   I...
I am posting from the UK.   I am looking for views and experiences fom all over the golfing world and having started the ball rolling with a thread on a specifically UK golf forum, I thought I would go further afield and try and get a feel for the attitude toward the new technology.   In the UK we have four unions that represent the four countries, the Golf Union of Wales, the Scottish Gofl Union, the Irish Golf Union and the English Golf Union.  Each union...
The torque tool which facilitates the adjustment of the heads of the Titleist 910 range of clubs iis only provided free of charge with the driver (D2 and D3) in the UK.   Even though the fairways, (F and Fd) and hybrids (H) use the same method of adjustment, it would appear that Titleist UK (and to a certain extent Titleist USA), take it for granted that the customer has already, (or is in the process of buying), bought the driver.   I think this is unfair.  The...