or Connect

Posts by MEfree

I saw there were 17 new posts on the "Lost ball rule is stupid" thread (created by Duff McGee). I had previously posted in this thread, but when I clicked on the link, I got: Insufficient Permissions You do not have permission to view this thread. Please contact a site administrator if you believe this to be in error. Alternately you may return to the The Clubhouse forum Logout and try again with an administrative account, or contact a site administrator for...
We have a completely different system in the US than you do here but it is possible for your handicap to go down quickly as we revise 2x month. i.e. I was a 7.7 June 15 and was down to a 3.4 Aug 1. I definitely felt I was a more competitive 5.8 the first part of July than I feel now. With that said, under our system, I know exactly what my handicap is going to be based on the scores I shoot, course rating and slopes of the courses I played. It sounds like your system...
The article doesn't discourage practicing your full swing and points out that distance is an advantage. For many of us, 100 yards is close to a full swing and the principle of hitting the ball first with solid contact applies just like with all full shots. Things like weight forward, proper shaft lean/flat wrist and a steady head are important on a 100 yard shot just like they are on full swings. For many players, I think it makes sense to work on their full swing...
I agree that DJ is just an average putter by tour standards and also agree that strokes gained putting is the most correlated putting statistic with someone's actual putting abilities. With that said, I don't think SGP is perfect- it only accounts for distance and not the difficulty of the putts you have. Not every 3 foot, 7 foot, or 27 foot putt is created equal. Some players do a better job leaving themselves easier putts. My take-away with Spieth is that the stats...
Agreed. That is one reason I asked him how long it took him to become a 3 HC and how long he remained a 3..
My understanding is that par+ handicap is a guideline or handicap rule, not a rule of golf.You were lucky that someone in the group had a cart. Anytime I think I might be near a boundary fence, I hit a provisional unless I can clearly see my ball sitting in bounds. Do you think you would have made a better score had the rules allowed you to drop two club lengths from where you estimated it exited the course with a two stroke penalty? What is impractical about this option?
I 100% agree that most players don't hit enough provisional balls. I hit several my last round and had no lost balls. I've been playing well lately and hitting fewer provisionals, but on some courses I typically average 2+ per round. I have a standby pass at several courses and often get paired with guys I don't know. Sometimes hitting a provisional can be dangerous when they start moving immediately after I hit a shot I should play a provisional for. Yesterday, one...
Were you walking or riding? Was there anybody playing behind you? If so, how did they feel about you going back to the tee. What about the guys you were playing with? Did they commend you for following the rules?
What if he lies 5+ and I lost my 2nd shot similar to the OP?Don't you think the rules would be stronger if the official bodies came up with a practical way to handle this situation rather than have each group come up with their own rules? Remember, it is against the rules to agree to waive a rule, so obviously the official bodies like to be in control of things. If you do agree on your own set of rules on the 1st tee, should you post the score for handicap purposes?
There are several who have made it on the PGA Tour and a couple of others who made some $ on the Champions Tour who took up the game later in life- Calvin Peete and Larry Nelson come to mind. I have a friend who got serious about being a pro in his 20s that had a good paying sales job that allowed him to golf every afternoon (and take time off to play tournaments). His game improved a lot and I think he enjoyed the journey, but he never qualified for a PGA Tour event. ...