or Connect

Posts by MEfree

From a scoring perspective, other than doing something that costs you the hole in match play like hitting the wrong ball, I would say the worst shot you can make is hitting it Out of Bounds from a bunker, which I have done- not only do you get stroke and distance penalties, but you might end up with a plugged or thin sand lie. Similar if you hit it fat and OB through the green- your drop might end up in your divot. A few years back, a friend of mine topped a ball from...
Just completed the Colorado 18 by skiing (approximately) 9 runs at A Basin followed by playing 9 holes at the Keystone River Golf course (5 miles down the road and 2+ K below A Basin). I love how much there is to do here and think Colorado is very underrated as golf destination. Talked to one guy at lunch who has a group of friends that have skied 9 runs, played 9 holes and then watched 9 innings of Colorado Rockies baseball. A ski patroller told me that he celebrated...
Pretty sure I have had quite a few more eagles than bunker holes outs but am going to GUESS that I had a bunker hole out first.
I think only 7 players who made the cut are playing in SF...Those who make it to the final four of match play will be playing 7 rounds in 5 days, then fly across the country for the Player's Championship so it is no wonder that many chose to skip NO.Edit- Only 30 holes left so they could finish today if the weather holds...It probably helped that only 71 made the cut.
Pretty compact leader board: -11 currently leads with a projected cut of -4 (83 players currently)...119 under par and within 10 shots. Looks like 66 guys are at -5 or better (4 of the -5 still on the course) with 7 guys at -4 with holes remaining in round 2. Unlikely, but if 4+ of the guys at -4 make it to -5, there could be some unhappy guys finished at -4 who go to bed tonight (assuming round 2 doesn't get completed) thinking they will play the weekend only to find...
Maybe, maybe not. Isn't Romo close to a scratch who has tried to qualify for the US Open. Assuming they started playing together a few years ago when Jordan was in HS, Romo's ego may not have let him ask for shots from a HS kid and/or he figured that he didn't mind losing a few bucks to a HS kid in an effort to test his game- what might have been too high for Jordan to count in HS might have been chump change for Romo.I have a friend who might be a similar golfer to Romo...
Wonder what age he started gambling on the golf course?  For me, I recall it being around 14 and in many ways I think it is good prep for tournament golf.
 I honestly don't know what the formatting issue was...to me, my last post looks the same as when I posted it (but thanks for correcting if something was wrong).  I realize that my OP was a question in which I did not state my opinion, but in my second post I did say (among other things):  While I will continue to like these type holes and would be happy to play more of them, the posters who brought up the speed of play issue they can create make a valid point.
I agree with those that have brought up the point that 200+ yard approach shots (to par 3s, 4s or 5s) tend to result in many golfers waiting for the green to clear and then missing the green badly and taking forever to complete the hole.  Not sure what the solution to this other than to design a course that leaves a lot of 100-150 yard approaches and doesn't leave any 200-300 yard approaches.  3.5 pars certainly don't do that and may slow up play.  With that said, I will...
My thinking is this- for PROs, holes in the 270-340 range is another, possibly superior, way to test driving (or FW wood) accuracy and DISTANCE CONTROL.  i.e. a 500 yard par 4 or 5 certainly rewards being able to hit it long and in the fairway, but most of the time it only makes a small difference if a guy hits it 290 or 330 (whatever the scoring difference is from 210 vs 170).  OTOH,  If you have a 310 yard hole, there is likely going to be a big scoring difference...