or Connect

Posts by MEfree

Can't answer all your questions, but a down slope tends to lower your ball flight and, for some, will produce more of a fade.  Most recommend playing the ball a bit farther back than normal on a down slope. 
Out of Bounds typically is marked with white stakes.  As Bezatron states, anything off the course property is also OB- this typically includes anything the wrong side of a boundary fence.   If there were no stakes and the area appears part of the course property, then I would say it was in bounds and play it as if it was through the green (unless a local rule indicated otherwise).   Edit- your 2nd post confuses me more than it clarifies things.  Why would it "still be...
Your ? is also valid (and similar to mine).  I picked the 1st hole to keep it simple.  Also, a bad score on 17 or 18 doesn't leave you much time to play better or worse than normal afterwards.  I agree that there could be a variety of reasons why a good opening hole (or holes) could lead to a good score (or vice versa)- i.e. you might be swinging better than normal, be well rested/physically fit, easier than normal course conditions (i.e. soft greens), etc.  Of course, for...
I don't think you fully understand "reversion to the mean"  A random reversion to the mean doesn't always happen within 18 trials.  Suppose you flipped a coin and it came up heads 4 straight times.  Would you expect the next 14 to be 7 heads and 7 tails or 5 & 9?  If it is a random coin, then you would expect it to move towards 50-50, but that doesn't mean it will get there right away (or within 18 trials).   Let's say Andy and Bob both average 4 strokes per hole (72 per...
Point of this thread was to find out how TST players future holes are effected by their opening hole, not to tell people they are wrong.  The only reason I felt compelled to chime in after the opening post was when someone said something like- I always shot 80 whether I make a 2 or a 10 on the opening hole, so, NO, the way I play on the next 17 is the same regardless of how I play #1.  Seems obvious to me you played a lot better on the next 17 if you came back to shoot 80...
If you start on a hole other than 1, then yes, this effects the analysis unless you gave me the score you made on the 1st hole you played.  i.e. If you had a shotgun start on #2 and ended on 1, then the score you made on #1 can't have any effect on the rest of the round (unless you are psychic).   If you gave me the score you made on the 1st hole you played it is possible for me to do some analysis, but it doesn't mean as much since you are playing a variety of courses,...
The reason I said that is that as long as no more than 52 cards are needed, then the odds don't change if you are dealing to 1 or 2 players.   Think of it this way.  Say you are playing 7 card stud (or any poker game)- the odds of you getting dealt a Royal Flush, 4 of Kind, etc, don't change regardless of how many players are at the table- you are still getting 7 (or whatever the # is) out of 52 cards with each random group of 7 cards having the same chances as any other...
I think traveling to Europe, dealing with jet lag, a crowd that is rooting against you, etc. can have an effect on a player.  The same can be true for the Euros, but in reverse.  Some players have shown that they are pretty good at overcoming these obstacles, but others, not so much.    
low if you want to sell it.
A few weeks ago we played "Poker Putts" in our Men's League- 1 card was earned for each 2 putt and 2 cards were earned for each 1 putt.  Cards were then used to make the best 5 card poker hand (a RF was the winner with SFs taking 2nd and 3rd).   Most players earned 20-27 cards and they were distributed to players one at a time by shuffling a 52 card deck and giving them the top X cards.  I said, that to save time, they could give two players cards from the same deck...