or Connect

Posts by MEfree

Yes, quite a few pro contracts have restrictions in them. A friend was telling me his son's high school baseball team limits what they can do during the season. OTOH, I once practiced with a French professional basket ball team who ended their practice with a soccer scrimmage.
A shame for sure. For those that say it was dumb, maybe not. Golf is an athletic sport and Rory's quickness and overall athletic ability helps him to be great. You don't become a good athlete by watching soccer on TV. Sure, maybe he could be engaging in a different form of cross training that is more controlled given that he is in the middle of the major season but I always found that playing sports like basketball and soccer were great for getting your mind off of...
Shows you how fickle golf can be...Weir always had a better short game than long, but in 2003, when he won the Masters, his long game numbers were more respectable:DRIVING DISTANCE 289.2 68thDRIVING ACCURACY PERCENTAGE 63.37% 134thGREENS IN REGULATION PERCENTAGE 65.85% 85thTiger hasn't looked much like a former major winner lately either. Tough to be competitive when you are spraying off the tee 30 yards shorter. Like Tiger, Weir has had some injuries and isn't getting...
Obviously, this year has been a huge disappointment to him and he isn't getting any younger, but he did have a solo 2nd last year, so maybe he can still get it done at times. All it takes it a couple really good weeks to make for a decent season on the PGA Tour.5/18/14 HP Byron Nelson Championship 2 68 66 67 67 -- 268 -12Will have to improve his driving/ball striking - currently last in distance, fairways hit and GIR. Not sure if injuries have been an issue this year,...
Our society has always been conflicted on where it stands on gambling. I find it interesting how laws vary over time and location regarding things like day trading, option trading, fantasy sports "entertainment" involving prize money, bingo, blackjack, poker, sports betting, stock investing, lotteries, etc.[/quote]A long time tour pro once told me that he gambles every week on tour- aka he pays his entry fee and expenses out of his own pocket and is gambling that he will...
Is the main function of the handicap system to identify who has (or will likely) attain "expert level" relative to the average physical abilities of their category of player or to make it so that golfers of different abilities can have fair & competitive competitions against each other? If it is the former, then yes, we should certainly have different systems for men, women, juniors, seniors, etc. If it is the later, then a single system seems appropriate.FWIW, In...
You nailed it!This is a valid opinion, but not a necessity. The handicap system could certainly be made simpler if you only had one non-gender course rating for each tee box and there would be no issue of having tees that are not rated for a particular gender. As Erik pointed out, this would result in very few scratch female golfers (assuming they used the male ratings and didn't come up with a new in-between rating). On the upside, I think it would encourage more men...
I caddied in a Doral Monday qualifier for a friend over a decade ago, and my experience matches yours. My friend wasn't close, but Brad Bryant was in our group- in addition to being a really nice guy, it was fun to see some good golf. IIRC, he played his stock draw almost all the time and hit penetrating short irons.If I am reading it correctly, the thread you referenced suggests hitting the driver on the upswing with a fade using the same swing that would produce a draw...
Keep at it...improvement for a relatively new golfer shooting those scores can come quickly. I'd recommend you get a few lessons and/or post a video online here. I signed up for online lessons with the guys here (Evolvr- 4 video lessons a month for $39) for a bit a few seasons ago and am still working on some of the stuff they mentioned (along with a general focus of some of the other 5 keys). There might be better instructors around, but what I like about them is the...
66 (-3) from the tips at Copper Creek today. 13 pars, 4 birdies (2 from 2 putts when I hit the green in under regulation with my 5 wood) and 1 bogey (a 3 putt 6 on #11, my 2nd hole as we tee off the back on Fridays). 13 official GIR and 3 more where I was putting from the fringe. Only missed 3 fairways, with 2 of those being by a couple feet. Used the putter 33 times (30 officially from the green) and felt I rolled the ball pretty well most of the day, even if a 14...