or Connect

Posts by Yuri Gadow

I feel your pain (or rather, felt) since I got so frustrated with the hassle of getting rounds together a while ago I ended up, metaphorically, disappearing into the garage for over a year to build a web app to help: Teeboxer. I'll shoot you a PM with a free year to give it a go; hopefully it'll help.    It's a pretty new app so I don't expect it'll fit the way you want to plan perfectly just yet: so let me know where it does and doesn't help your planning and...
"Rodents fed saccharin compared with those fed glucose showed diminished calorie compensation ability, increased calorie intake, and increased body weight. [...] They found that most animals, including those with prior cocaine exposure, selected the lever that dispensed saccharin over the lever that dispensed cocaine"   What it’s worth, I couldn’t say. Sounds good though. (Or bad depending on one’s perspective.)   Source: Artificially Sweetened Beverages: Cause...
  Thanks iacas, I like to think it works that well—but then nothing survives first contact for long, so I'm looking forward adapting Teeboxer to the feedback.   And, I'll second that a golf business equals less golf, I've never had so little time to play as after I decided to build Teeboxer. Sort of ironic, but also good motivation to eat my own dog food, i.e., use my own creation to squeeze a round in with people who don't mind that I have to skip the occasional hole to...
Yep. Plenty. And, I've not noticed how much I sweat changing due to any fabric, but then the difference one shirt will make to your core body temperature is small to none. That seems primarily a function of fitness v. exertion, humidity, and a little bit due to ambient temperature. I have noticed small differences from the design and color, e.g., how well wind is caught and flowed through the garment.   The big difference for me is how the fabrics dry. Cotton soaks...
  Hello all, I'd like to introduce you to Teeboxer, an app I'm building to help busy golfers (including me) get rounds together faster and easier and to help all golfers find more opportunities to play and people to play with. I recently opened the public beta and want to invite Sand Trappers to use it and to let fly with any comments, suggestions, and criticisms you have; especially anything I could change or add to Teeboxer to make it useful to you...
Or maybe don't walk at all: User Propelled Golf Cart    
Depends on how you look at it: they say the tissue in one pound of body fat makes about 3500 calories available to your body, i.e., a deficit of 3500 over some period will result in shedding a pound temporarily (how to make it stay off is a matter of debate these days.) I believe the theory is that all tissue uses calories to sustain itself and, moreover, your body has to work to move its weight around.   That said, if you think you're fairly far off what a male would be...
If you're looking for a ballpark figure: a way to start is with a Basal Metabolic Rate calculator that takes in your height, weight, and age and throws out a guess at how many calories your body will use in a 24 hour period without activity and add to that the calorie guesstimates you find for the activities you're doing each day.   If you're looking to lose weight; I'd spend a few bucks to have a sit down with your GP about getting it right and what a healthy calorie...
I carry my bag and so can't offer any help with a cart recommendation. What I can offer is that I've noticed the people I play with are a big factor in how much I feel like a round was a workout with a challenging sport vs. a long, slow walk punctuated with failure. I won't guess about cause and effect, just want to say that trying to get out there and move through a round like you mean it by finding people to play with who enjoy that style might help you get more out of...
That's some good humor; perfect correction for this particular Monday. Thanks guys!