or Connect

Posts by ScouseJohnny

Faldo, the outstanding British golfer of his generation, who won six majors.   But then, to be fair to Sam Torrance, he once did really well on an episode of A Question of Sport.   So both men have enjoyed their respective successes during their careers...   Seriously, why drag this up again, now? OK, we get it, Faldo is unloved by his European contemporaries - especially his own countrymen. He was still a remarkable golfer and appears to be doing well in his new...
 I'd like to think it's simply unbelievable that anyone would deliberately hit into the match in front of them, in order "to make a point." But, sadly, it happens. Off topic, I know, but the only thing I can equate this too is a recent experience of mine, whereupon an idiot accelerated past me and cut right in front of me on the I-64 and then severely "brake checked" me at 75mph, in order to "teach me a lesson" (I guess) for not helping him merge at the previous...
 I have to say, I'm really not all that worried about whether Tiger (or, indeed, any other pro golfer who turns up to play in the Olympics) is properly compensated for his time and expenses, proportionate to his usual, professional, expectations. If this is a factor, then it speaks far more loudly to why golf in the Olympics should be comprised of a strictly amateur field. Granted, the issue of money and the Olympic Committee's relationship with it, is worthy of...
 I could not agree more. Watching the Olympics, in terms of the division between amateurs and professionals (as it varies between events), is disconcerting. Fencing? Amateur sportsmen. Boxing? Amateur sportsmen. Basketball, tennis, and now golf - some of the highest paid professional sportsmen in the world. To be honest, I'm far less excited about the prospect of watching Rory, Bubba, et al competing for an Olympic medal than I am about watching them compete for a green...
It helps to have some degree of awareness of the local flora & fauna, which will likely be encountered in the region of the world where one is playing - is it unreasonable to expect to find crocodiles in lakes in South Africa?   I don't know, but where I live and play golf these days (southern U.S.), I am far too afraid of the dreaded copper-headed water rattler that apparently turns around and chases you, to bother paddling in the lake to retrieve a $1 Noodle....
 Interesting question. If journalism's lowest point in recent times could be pinpointed as a creaky old sportswriter lamely poking fun at a billionaire sportsman in a golf magazine, I think journalism would likely be in a better place, than say, a situation whereby journalists from leading Murdoch-owned newspapers have been implicated, and, in some instances, successfully prosecuted and jailed, for widespread hacking of private citizens' voicemail. Journalistically, can...
 For a start, it isn't slander. The unlovely story of Jerry Falwell, Campari, and a goat in the outhouse settled that matter, quite some time ago. Returning to the satire at hand. It's a little bit hamfisted and it isn't terribly funny (one or two bright spots aside), but it's also very tame. The "offended" party needs to grow a thicker skin....
It's a huge pity Payne Stewart isn't around to captain the US team in a Ryder Cup......
 There was a silly story about this in the [London] Evening Standard a while back: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/olympic-chiefs-bosses-make-secret-plea-to-use-london-venues-for-the-2016-games-9344084.html Like a lot of stuff that turns up in that newspaper, it turned out to be bunkum and was quickly refuted: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/09/ioc-olympic-games-2016-host-rio-london Besides, West Ham United will be moving into the Olympic Stadium soon, and,...
 Oh, I don't know about that. It seems that there is quite a cosy relationship between the city and the developer, so to speak. The developer is also (amazingly) the landowner, who apparently overcame hotly disputed legal challenges to his lawful ownership of the land in order to construct this golf course. Not that it's just a golf course he's building....  Source: (New Zealand Herald via Associated Press) The "wildlife corridor" appears to have been originally proposed...