or Connect

Posts by ScouseJohnny

A few thoughts on this: 1./ Not all English accents are pompous. Faldo is solidly middle class and from the Home Counties (south-east of England). He still has a slight estuary-English type inflection, but, as a commentator, seems to have been working on his received pronunciation, most likely for comic Limey effect, as he broadcasts to a US audience. Funnily enough, his natural accent is probably remarkably akin to Ian Poulter's (their respective home towns are fewer...
 It's far too simple a poll to make those sort of assumptions. As it stands it's like an exit poll on election night: did you vote for Candidate A or Candidate B? Your question, as regards indicated preference of one golfer over the other, would require a lot more data to be collected along with the response itself, before it would be reasonable to conclude that one golfer is definitely preferred over the other by a majority of people. All you have at present is simple...
As I grow older, I've become more and more acutely aware of the fact that any man can only move in the times in which he finds himself.    "Greatest of all time" is a wholly meaningless concept, because, (being utterly totally obvious, I know), any person only has few years to make their best contribution to their sport - not all time. Their challenges, in terms of the equipment they used and the competition they faced, are strictly contemporary to the time in which they...
Renting a car at RDU during the week of the US Open at Pinehurst? Jump on that very quickly....I managed to land at RDU in the week of the 2005 US Open, and all Hertz, Thrifty, Dollar etc had to show me were empty parking spaces, (and I wasn't even going to the tournament). Luckily the Triangle is very well connected with public transit (the buses were even free in Chapel Hill, where I was staying). But rental cars are in very short supply at RDU during an Open at...
I walk in the winter and much of the time in the spring and autumn. My main reason for taking a cart in the summer is on account of the insane heat in Georgia. The cart is as much a mobile shelter from the boiling sun and periodic monsoons as it is a means of transportation. For those purposes, I need a roof. A souped-up mobility scooter with an umbrella suspended over it and my clubs lashed to the front won't suffice.
 It's the unorthodox approach that makes him so appealing. The commentary surrounding the 7 iron shot through the trees said it all, really. Feherty: "He's looking to lay up short." Faldo: "Um...no," (or words to that effect, followed by a fairly stunned silence). And the outcome of that wonderful shot (ending high above the hole), being substantially worse than the likely outcome of the straightforward lay up (a third shot of a straightforward pitch onto the the green),...
I think it just seemed like an inordinate number of adverts because of that bloody pompous "Mercedes: nothing but the best" advert that ran interminably throughout the entire broadcast, every few minutes.   Note to Mercedes: even if I had the spare coin lying around for a high-end motor, nothing would drive me into a Jaguar faster than irritating me to death during the Masters coverage.
 Ah - sorry, I thought there was a subtle, implied suggestion in there that Tiger's next major competition after returning from injury would be the [British] Open. I don't worry too much about these hang ups regarding "The Open Championship" vis-à-vis the "United States Open Championship." As an Englishman living in the U.S. I generally refer to them as the "British Open" and "U.S. Open" respectively. If anyone takes offence, well, to be honest, life really is too short...
 You reckon he'll be in his Learjet heading to Liverpool John Lennon come July, then?
Typical mean-spirited and silly Daily Mail article - an overblown, poorly written account of a storm in a teacup, with the actual info coming from a Twitter post the caddie concerned released to the world in error (it seems the poor bloke thought he was sharing his private thoughts on the tournament director's decision with a friend, not the world at large). The Daily Mail and Twitter - two dumb things the world would be better off without, in my opinion.