or Connect

Posts by ScouseJohnny

I was never a huge Tiger fan but I can't watch this. It isn't dignified for the greatest golfer of his generation to be this cruelly exposed. It reminds me of the twilight years of Faldo's career - I hated watching my boyhood hero missing cuts. To be fair, I don't think Faldo circa 2000/2001 was ever this bad.   I hope Tiger can get his head together and starting competing again. If not, surely he will contemplate retirement - this can't be much fun for him.
 For some reason that made me smile - it's worded as though Tiger's been on Expedia and sorted out his Red Roof and Chevy Malibu from Enterprise for his next business trip... It would be good to see him in this tournament, though.
No.   Don't ever hit a golf ball when players from the match in front are in range, unless they've waved you through and all of them are watching the balls being struck by the match behind.   I can think of no exceptions to this.
This thread has inspired me.   This morning I got up early and drove to a semi-private course I've been playing just lately, even though I'm not a member, to see if they'd fit me in as a single player (normally not a problem during the week, as the course is fairly quiet).   When I showed up this morning, though, there was some sort of post-Christmas scramble for the members, so I decided to leave it. But looking around that parking lot, Good God...
Faldo, the outstanding British golfer of his generation, who won six majors.   But then, to be fair to Sam Torrance, he once did really well on an episode of A Question of Sport.   So both men have enjoyed their respective successes during their careers...   Seriously, why drag this up again, now? OK, we get it, Faldo is unloved by his European contemporaries - especially his own countrymen. He was still a remarkable golfer and appears to be doing well in his new...
 I'd like to think it's simply unbelievable that anyone would deliberately hit into the match in front of them, in order "to make a point." But, sadly, it happens. Off topic, I know, but the only thing I can equate this too is a recent experience of mine, whereupon an idiot accelerated past me and cut right in front of me on the I-64 and then severely "brake checked" me at 75mph, in order to "teach me a lesson" (I guess) for not helping him merge at the previous...
 I have to say, I'm really not all that worried about whether Tiger (or, indeed, any other pro golfer who turns up to play in the Olympics) is properly compensated for his time and expenses, proportionate to his usual, professional, expectations. If this is a factor, then it speaks far more loudly to why golf in the Olympics should be comprised of a strictly amateur field. Granted, the issue of money and the Olympic Committee's relationship with it, is worthy of...
 I could not agree more. Watching the Olympics, in terms of the division between amateurs and professionals (as it varies between events), is disconcerting. Fencing? Amateur sportsmen. Boxing? Amateur sportsmen. Basketball, tennis, and now golf - some of the highest paid professional sportsmen in the world. To be honest, I'm far less excited about the prospect of watching Rory, Bubba, et al competing for an Olympic medal than I am about watching them compete for a green...
It helps to have some degree of awareness of the local flora & fauna, which will likely be encountered in the region of the world where one is playing - is it unreasonable to expect to find crocodiles in lakes in South Africa?   I don't know, but where I live and play golf these days (southern U.S.), I am far too afraid of the dreaded copper-headed water rattler that apparently turns around and chases you, to bother paddling in the lake to retrieve a $1 Noodle....
 Interesting question. If journalism's lowest point in recent times could be pinpointed as a creaky old sportswriter lamely poking fun at a billionaire sportsman in a golf magazine, I think journalism would likely be in a better place, than say, a situation whereby journalists from leading Murdoch-owned newspapers have been implicated, and, in some instances, successfully prosecuted and jailed, for widespread hacking of private citizens' voicemail. Journalistically, can...