or Connect

Posts by ScouseJohnny

Interesting question. If journalism's lowest point in recent times could be pinpointed as a creaky old sportswriter lamely poking fun at a billionaire sportsman in a golf magazine, I think journalism would likely be in a better place, than say, a situation whereby journalists from leading Murdoch-owned newspapers have been implicated, and, in some instances, successfully prosecuted and jailed, for widespread hacking of private citizens' voicemail. Journalistically, can...
 For a start, it isn't slander. The unlovely story of Jerry Falwell, Campari, and a goat in the outhouse settled that matter, quite some time ago. Returning to the satire at hand. It's a little bit hamfisted and it isn't terribly funny (one or two bright spots aside), but it's also very tame. The "offended" party needs to grow a thicker skin....
It's a huge pity Payne Stewart isn't around to captain the US team in a Ryder Cup......
 There was a silly story about this in the [London] Evening Standard a while back: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/olympic-chiefs-bosses-make-secret-plea-to-use-london-venues-for-the-2016-games-9344084.html Like a lot of stuff that turns up in that newspaper, it turned out to be bunkum and was quickly refuted: http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/may/09/ioc-olympic-games-2016-host-rio-london Besides, West Ham United will be moving into the Olympic Stadium soon, and,...
 Oh, I don't know about that. It seems that there is quite a cosy relationship between the city and the developer, so to speak. The developer is also (amazingly) the landowner, who apparently overcame hotly disputed legal challenges to his lawful ownership of the land in order to construct this golf course. Not that it's just a golf course he's building....  Source: (New Zealand Herald via Associated Press) The "wildlife corridor" appears to have been originally proposed...
 Was it even necessary to build a course in the first place? Plans could have been made (and not thrown together at the last minute), that utilized existing resources. As the original ESPN story that preempted this thread noted:  The judge's words are quite striking...  Sounds like a perfectly reasonable piece of jurisprudence... The gargantuan nature of the Olympics (and, as someone else noted, the World Cup), has become ponderous and seems somewhat divorced from the...
 Perhaps his greatest mistake was interjecting any comment at all, in the first place. It's a tawdry situation. British golfing legend of decades past couldn't resist rising to the bait when asked about Garcia's contribution to the European team under his captaincy, when he'd have been better off keeping his own counsel. All of a sudden, another British golfer of a later generation is vicariously offended by this, and his ghost writer expresses his outrage in true...
 Couldn't agree more.
 Hmmm....when you are implying that your significantly more successful countryman is, himself, "useless," there's a fair chance his six majors versus his critic's zero majors might start to spring to the forefront of people's minds. Faldo belongs to a certain type of English sportsman - not especially well liked by his peers and contemporaries, it seems - and opinionated. I've always thought of Nick Faldo as being to golf as Geoff Boycott was to cricket; but then both men...
 It'll be nice for Ian to find a new set of clubs, a new bag and some shoes under his Christmas Tree - just in time for the New Year and the  2015 season. Although I remember from my childhood in England that it's often very frustrating to get new gear at that time of year...Wonder if they'll be giving him a few quid, too?