or Connect

Posts by ScouseJohnny

I want outrageous speed with a Callaway XR driver!   Bubba Watson -7 Lee Westwood -5 Nick Watney -5
 Off topic: But you are 100% wrong. Since 1956 the Republic of Ireland has extended Irish citizenship to anyone born on the island of Ireland, including the six counties in the north which fall under UK jurisdiction. There were slight revisions made to this policy for people born after 2005, but the Irish government's own website states the Irish citizenship and passport policies for people born in Northern Ireland very clearly:...
  Well, technically..... but God help me, that's a can of worms I don't want to open on a golf forum. So let's just say that he qualifies for both a British passport and a Republic of Ireland passport. I have no idea which one he has (maybe he has both), and I don't care one way or the other. Off topic: The American use of the term "Brit" amuses me. It often seems to be used as a general euphemism for Englishmen and Welshmen, but not Scotsmen or Northern Irishmen....
 I don't know about that. I reckon that in 1985 (and, to be honest, I was only 13 at the time), Nicklaus was acknowledged as being way past his prime and the one everyone tuned in to watch was probably Seve. And I also have slight reservations about the "if only Rory was an American" line of thinking, which has been mentioned a few times. Treading rather carefully here........but I think a likeable Irishman might be very well placed to win over an American audience when it...
 Not meaning to seem rude, but what you are describing there is nostalgia.
 Well, if that's true, then golf has a simply enormous problem. Golf right now has a very exciting crop of young players. But if the only thing that gets people tuning in - if the only person who "moves the needle" - is, and I mean this nicely, an aging superstar whose peak years are behind him - then it's hard to know what to say. I guess we'd better just hope he sticks around until he's 60, consistently makes cuts, and trust that another couple of decades is long enough...
  With regard to posts, that only matters if a forum like this is also indicative of the attitudes of golf watchers who do not post to this forum or one like it. I suspect that isn't the case. That point aside, I do think the "Tiger moving the needle" thing is firmly into its final phase. Sporting heroes tend to be venerated by their own generations, or, usually, those a little younger than the sportsman himself. Tiger was so incredibly significant that he seemed to become...
 A valid point. The trouble is, I suppose, that unlike Tiger Woods, who is over exposed because every single move and every single word is scrutinized by a media that simply can't seem to get enough of Tiger, even when he isn't doing anything remotely interesting, the source of Ian Poulter's over-exposure is solely limited to Ian Poulter, himself. If he just got on with his career quietly, he wouldn't draw much attention - the odd Ryder Cup performance aside. I know he...
Talks too much, especially on the interwebs. His Jack the Lad autobiography got on my nerves, too.   And in comparison with other British golfers of the modern era...well, he's had his squabbles along the way with both Faldo and Montgomerie; hasn't come close to their achievements though.   Of his immediate, English contemporaries, Westwood, Rose and Donald have all arguably achieved more without managing to piss off so many people in the process. Rose also has a US...
Alright: from a Liverpudlian to a Chelsea fan (in peace). Congrats on the title (sincerely). I'd always rather your lot than Man U!