or Connect

Posts by ScouseJohnny

Golf needn't be expensive. Walk, don't ride, and save the cart fee. Find deals at municipals or cheaper, public courses. Play 9 holes.   Thirty years ago, a set of good irons was quite a serious investment, even used. I remember when a pro shop would give a good trade-in price for a used set against new irons. But this week I watched a set of fairly recent (2011?) Cleveland TA7s in excellent condition get sold on ebay for not much over $100.   If you look at the...
 I think it's a throwback to the thinking of previous decades, when a set of usable irons seemed like a more expensive investment than is the case today, and beginning golfers were encouraged to buy a half set, take a handful of lessons, and then start to play. It's how I began as junior golfer in the early 1980s - (persimmon) 4 wood; 3, 5, 7, 9 iron; SW; and a putter. I think there's still some very sound logic in this approach. Learning to hit an iron well is still the...
 Hmmm......I'm not sure I agree with that at all. Speaking as a foreigner/immigrant, the American tipping culture takes some getting used to. Being British and used to buying each pint from the bar for cash, it took me a little while to understand, on my first trip to the US, why the barman was so damned grumpy (even though I understood that tipping is expected in America, and would have left him some money on leaving). I don't think you can describe an arrangement where a...
 Absolutely. Had a Ben Sayers (slight cavity back) 1 iron from the early 1990s in my bag until a couple of years ago. Then I changed it out for a Ping Zing2 2 iron of similar vintage, which is slightly easier to hit. Clubs like these still have their place, and it's a pity more golfers don't persevere with them. Want to stand on the tee, pick a spot in the fairway the size of a dinner plate, and stand a chance of landing the ball there? These are much more likely to get...
I play the Noodle Soft a fair bit of the time. Incredibly cheap ($14 for 15), available in a green box at your local Wallymart. They are surprisingly good balls, with a fair bit of feel to them. I like them very much, especially in the winter months. Of course, playing with people who favor Bridgestones and Srixons etc (as I often do), well....it's a bit like cracking open a PBR at a party of craft beer drinkers.
 There's a fascinating question. He died years before I was born, so I've never had the pleasure of watching him play (other than in a few black & white or colour-faded clips on Youtube), but I have become quite interested in "Champagne Tony," after happening upon an old copy of his book from the early '60s in an antiquarian bookshop. The Youtube clips are instructive. His looked to be a beautiful swing of that era. He trounced Nicklaus in the 1964 British Open, was...
 A wagon that was missing a wheel or two last season.
 Hey, lay off Sir Nick. The bloke's a legend. That's my childhood hero you're talking about. I remember being allowed to stay up late on my 13th birthday and watch him trounce Ray Floyd in the Masters' playoff. I'm happy for him to be the greatest golfer from the United Kingdom (I predict there will be howls of outrage from Seve fans if you imply he's the greatest golfer from the European continent of all time). However, I rather suspect that Rory will soon match Faldo's...
 Is this my wife's copy of Cosmopolitan I've picked up by mistake?
Likely the only silverware on display at Old Trafford this season.