or Connect

Posts by geoffmangum

Hi Guys,   Not wanting to appear obstreperous, let me just be plain spoken:   Rule 14 defines "artificial device" and then says the player who uses one to assist in his play is DQ'd. No exception applies. Fairly simple.     Except as provided in the Rules, during a stipulated round the player must not use any artificial device or unusual equipment (see Appendix IV for detailed specifications and interpretations), or use any equipment in an unusual...
Okay, the Masters rules guys did not follow Decision 33-7/4.5, which says waiver of the DQ is only when the golfer could not have reasonably been aware of what he did that violated the rules. Instead, you guys claim the Masters rules folk had authority under the Rules to waive the DQ because they did not mislead Tiger, or because they should have gotten the penalty assessed before he signed his card, and hence he would have been saved from signing for a wrong...
I like what I wrote a lot better than what you wrote. What you say is the Masters did not base the waiver on Decision 33-7/4.5. Well, yes, that's right -- but they are required to do so, and didn't. 
Decision 33-7/4.5 was written and announced at Augusta National in April 2011, and it clearly indicates that Fred Ridley doesn't know the Rules.   Decision 33-7/4.5 was drafted by USGA Rules Chairman Glen Nager with the R&A in reaction to the DQ of Padraig Harrington after a ball moved in the wind and he didn't see it and wasn't deemed capable of having seen the movement, but "high-definition" television made it possible for a tv spectator to see it and call in....