or Connect

Posts by carrx

Congrats! 
Maybe you can buy him a gag gift for his birthday, or for Father's Day.  Like a calculator, so you can be sure he knows how to add.  Also, I'm a big fan of the informal ribbing during a round.  Playing strictly by the rules isn't for everybody - certainly some folks just can't enjoy the game if they aren't as good as they'd like to be...but cheating in a tournament shows a lack of honor, which is an unpardonable sin.    With so many cliches out there about the...
  Your example doesn't rightly qualify as sandbagging.  Guys may get lumped in with real baggers if they occasionally play better than their index, but that can happen with a mid-capper who is improving.  A 30 handicap shouldn't be able to shoot 12 over, but that's at least possible, in a certain context.  A real sandbagger is a sinister thing, for to consistently maintain an index that is higher than your ability and effort might merit, you must either consciously fail...
Played recently at a muni course, early morning time (before 8am).  We were called 3rd up on the box, and were at the practice green putting (next to the 1st tee), and watched as the group with 1st tee honors proceeded to take 30 minutes to gather at the tee box, stretch, make their pre-round wagers, then hit 1-2 balls each, since not a single one of them apparently had played golf more than a handful of times before.    You should have seen the dismay on the faces...
  For what little it's worth, I'd be far more likely to commit if we were playing Oak Quarry, Oak Creek or Tijeras, as opposed to Temecula.  After my bitch-out session last week, I understand why my opinion might hold little (i.e.'no') weight, but I assure you guys, I'm not the type to back out of a golf date, especially with the added prospect of a session with the 5SK guys!   Tijeras is "meh" as a course, but is pretty fun, and could be easier to get on.  Oak Quarry is...
Fellas,   I'm glad you guys had a great time.  I'm sorry I had to withdraw, the pics looked like you guys were having a blast.  I'm defintely interested in the next outing, and will do what I can to arrange my schedule accordingly. I promise not to order clubs the week of the next event.  D'oh!   Tristan, special thanks for following up to make sure everybody was taken care of.  I hope to meet you guys next time.
  Yeah, I'm not exactly burning up the course these days, but that's a far cry from what would likely happen if i tried to game these sticks this weekend.  I wonder if I can play Talega with only my driver, 4 wood, hybrid and sand wedges?    This afternoon I'm going to run by the Seal Beach Roger Dunn to see if they still have my Cobra sticks.  If so, they might let me "demo" them for Saturday, in case the new clubs haven't yet arrived.  Otherwise, I'm inclined to bail,...
Made it to Roger Dunn at the opening of the store today.  Paid for a real fitting, comparing the X-Hot Pro, Ping i20, Rocketbladez Tour and JPX-825 Pro on the launch monitors...was surprised to see the Mizunos out performed the others in terms of ball speed, ball flight and (not surprisingly) feel.   I was kind of set on the i20, but after seeing the spin rates they generated (7500 to 8000 RPM on a 7-iron), I elected to move forward with the Mizuno JPX-825 Pro with...
Gents,   In light of the upcoming event at Talega, I am presented with an unusual problem.  I recently decided to change out my previous irons for a more "player/friendly" model, considering recent changes to family size (2 children in the past 26 months) and a very busy work schedule.   I received my new set last week, only to discover that they are a horrible fit for me and my game (Callaway X-Hot Pro with PXi95 shafts...the shafts are way too light, and are...
OK, so the clubs arrived...and promptly sat in my living room for 4 days before I had the opportunity to get them to a driving range.  They look great, but WOW are they light.  I had no concept for this in the store, or swinging them in my yard, but when I started putting a ball down to hit them...   I'm typically a better than average ball striker, with a more or less straight ball flight pattern. I couldn't keep these things within 15-20 yards of my intended...