or Connect

Posts by JoelCochran

I've shot +3 twice: last summer, 73 on a par 70 and in 1996 I shot a 75 a par 72.  I've had three 78s this summer.
Club championship this weekend. I played terribly on Saturday putting me in the consolation bracket. I recovered nicely yesterday, shooting 78 in the morning and 80 in the afternoon.  Won my match and bracket 2up.
Played yesterday in 102+ heat.  Shot an 81 from the tips (6600 yds, par 71) with a stinking triple on the 8th hole and a three-putt bogey on the 14th.  Didn't drive particularly well, but played pretty decent overall.  I feel like I am very very close to shooting mid-70s.
Pretty mediocre round Tuesday, shot a 43 on the front 9 from the tips at our club.  On #9 I drove into the trees on the left and had to pitch back out into the fairway.  From 115 with a downhill lie to an uphill green I holed a partial pitching wedge for a birdie 3.  Ain't golf grand?
I'm reading the article http://thesandtrap.com/b/thrash_talk/a_gentlemens_game about cheating and the section on the vanity handicap got me to thinking.   I have what I believe to be an honest 10 handicap.  In fact, I really think it should be lower as it is the result of a season of relatively mediocre play. Specifically, lots of three-putts that lead me to rarely break 80, but otherwise I stay under 84.  But that isn't really my point: I've been posting all my...
Congrats!  I've been playing 30 years and never an Eagle.  Had a hole-in-one once, so "technically"...
We used to play in the Army no matter what the weather.  I was stationed at Ft. Sill, OK, so from high 30's and blustery in the winter to 110+ in the summer.  The fairways could get really baked, letting me once drive a 362 yard par-4.   In Virginia we routinely play in the 90-100 range in the summer time with sweltering humidity.
Finally a round with no 3-putts to card a 78 at my home course.  Really starting to get the hang of the belly putter.
Was on a business trip last week, shot 84-83.     The 84 (par 72, 70.7/121) round was actually much better than the score, I didn't know the course and made two strategic errors that led to penalty strokes and resulted in a triple and a double.  My ball striking was very good and my short game was excellent.  I had a 7 hole stretch on the back nine that was -1.   The 83 (par 70, 69.4/128) round was just the opposite: I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn, but...
You know, sometimes I fan that 2, And sometimes I catch that 3 a little thin. And I've hit flyers with the 4, I've hooked my 5, I've shanked the 6, Skulled the 8, Fatted the 9, Chili-dipped the wedge, And I've bladed the sand! There is ole Mr. Three-wiggle, isn't there? But then there's the seven iron.  I never miss with the seven iron.   - Roy "Tin Cup" McAvoy