or Connect

Posts by Fourputt

But he did.  He said after the first drop that the ball rolled down the incline and across the cart path.  He asked if he could play it from there, was told no...   ...then the subject of changing the rule in midstream came up...   ...so here we are.  Some of these rules threads tend to expand a bit from the original question as the discussion progresses.  It is hard sometimes to tell just where a given post is derived from.
 Yep, I consider it a real find when someone leaves an unbroken plastic tee behind.  I have about a dozen of them in my bag (picked up two just yesterday) along with the 500 odd wooden ones, yet I've never bought one - every one I have was left behind by someone.
 And just how do you know that?  You are reading something into that decision that I can't see.   I've seen flags which were made from extremely light fabric such that when limp, the entire flag material would be hanging directly above the hole when the flagstick is properly seated in the insert.  With the added weight of the ball tangled in it, the ball would be touching the flagstick but for the thickness of fabric between them.
 I just feel that there is sufficient ambiguity, or conflicting treatment of similar situations, that one committee might rule the ball holed while the next one could order it placed on the lip.  I would like to see a decision that absolutely clarifies each potential scenario to remove any doubt as to the correct call.
 This doesn't really apply, does it?  When dropping the player is not "playing the ball", in other words he is not playing a stroke, so that wouldn't apply, would it?  He must finish the procedure of taking relief, then he can drop (not place - see Rule 28) the ball back in the original spot on the obstruction, as long as that spot is not closer to the hole than where the ball now lies after taking relief, under penalty of one stroke.   By your statement that would mean he...
 We have been around so many circles that I don't even know what we are discussing any more.  There are 2 possibilities in the scenario when the ball is embedded in the side of the hole.  They are both clarified in the Decisions:   In the situation of the ball lying on an obstruction or loose impediment, your contention is that if the center of the ball is lying over the hole then the ball can be placed in the hole.  I dispute that to the point that if the ball is not...
 Yes you can, but it will cost a stroke for lifting the ball.  If you have already made one drop, then I don't think you are allowed to replace it on the original spot.  I think you are then required to complete the dropping process.  I never lift the ball until I've examined my chances for a playable drop.
 Since the courses I play don't have a broken tee receptacle, and the trash cans always seem to be by the back tees, if I do anything I'll just leave them next to the markers nearest the cart path.  I rarely break a tee, usually only one or two per round, so I pick up and reuse my tee most of the time.  I hate when I can't find a broken tee on par 3 hole, or on any hole where the tee shot is a layup.   I have about 500 tees in the tee pocket in my bag, and not a single one...
 If they made enough of a mess while searching, then there might be noplace left within the allowed drop area that hasn't be trampled.
 Actually, I believe that for the care of the course, he is allowed to smooth the sand in parts of the bunker which will not affect his lie or subsequent line of play, since they tracked the whole bunker up in the search and the area which affects his play is rather limited.