or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:

Posts by Fourputt

 Moon River (Oscar for best original song, from "Breakfast at Tiffany's", composed by Henry Mancini with lyrics by Johnny Mercer) was the most requested song of the band at the 1963 Valentine's Day Heart Hop when I was a junior in high school.  
 Exactly my point.  Times change and these stuck in the mud, fuddy duddy clubs need to realize that fact.  Very few people listen to Perry Como and Dinah Shore in 2014, so why should we be expected to dress like them?
 I think that the decision quoted above your post applies equally to a single instance or to a general philosophy of play.  I don't see any breach of 1-3.  Maybe because I play my golf almost exclusively on public courses, often very busy courses, and ready golf is a simple fact of life.  If you play most of your golf at a club where the tee times are more spread out and the player pressure is less, then you may have the luxury of following rule 10 to the letter.  I simply...
 My 5 years working as a starter would refute your belief.  Like I said, only about 35% were what I'd call regulars.  The rest came from all over the Denver metro area and beyond.  They might play the course once or twice a season.  It was as widely varied as a resort course, but since the district didn't offer annual passes or memberships, it didn't have the sort of loyal following that you get on those types of public courses.
The really stupid thing is that if they really were tradition bound, they'd require plus fours on the course, and coat and tie in the clubhouse.  They quote "tradition" only as it suits their own measurement of worth.
 And not all courses have a captive clientele.  For a busy public course in an urban area, the customer base can be huge, and aside from a handful of "regulars", it changes every day.  Same is true of a resort course.  Sure, I got to know the regular players well after my first year in the starter booth, but they were rarely the problem.  They only made up about 35% of the tee sheet on any given day.  It was the other 65% that were totally unpredictable.  They might be...
 The shorter the tee intervals the less time any group has for a delay like a ball search, even if they only take a couple of the 5 minutes the rules allow.  With a 10 minute instead of an 8 minute interval, that gives them 2 more minutes before the group behind them jams up.  They have a little more time to get past their own delay and get back on time without backing up anyone else.  Once a backup starts on a course where there is no wiggle room between tee times, it...
 Yep.  And the Northeastern 18 is about the same - just a bit higher.  I'm with that all the way.  Why a course which depends on non member income would shoot itself in the foot over a fabric is beyond me.
 The course I play here is $550 for a husband/wife membership for the season.  Probably not the same level of maintenance, but it's a fun course and the price is definitely right.  A foursome can walk on most any weekday without delay.  Might have to start on 10 instead of 1, but that's no big deal.
  That 27 minutes can really jump around a lot.  That screen looks exactly like the one I've seen, and it will show us 10 minutes ahead of pace on the tee box, but if it takes us 10 minutes to play the hole, by the time we clear the green we are "on pace", but when we arrive at the next tee, we are suddenly 12 minutes ahead.  They seem to calculate pace hole by hole, without regard to where you are on the hole.  It's still a good measure of about how well you are doing.
New Posts  All Forums: