or Connect

Posts by Losttsol

If you hit to a Par 3 green over water, ball goes over the water and lands in play, but then rolls back down into the water, where do you put the ball?  I said a club length from the water's edge/OB line (where it went in) with one shot penalty.  My buddy said that would make it closer to the hole and you can't do that.  What's the right call?
The guy I usually play with shoots 30+ shots higher than me on a regular basis.  I normally shoot around 90-ish, so you can imagine his scores.  I've told him for years to get lessons and he never has.  I've tried to help him out on the driving range and break it down to the basics of grip, keep your eye on the ball and nice even tempo, but he still swings like Babe Ruth trying to hit into the upper deck.  I can feel the wind coming off his club as he falls off his...
My sand wedge is 57.7°.  It's one of my favorite clubs overall, not just out of the sand.
I don't think expensive clubs are necessarily hype, but an expensive set of clubs might not be the best clubs for you.  I could go out and buy and brand new $1000+ set of blades and probably hit them like crap, just because I don't hit in the 70's and they aren't the clubs for me.  I will say that when I was young, I played with an old, hand-me-down set of Wilson clubs that felt about as good as hitting an aluminum baseball bat against a brick wall.  Even good shots hurt...
I use a Ping Eye 2 for pitching wedge, but in actuality, I hit a 9-iron where most would hit a full pitching wedge since the lofts are so high on these clubs. 
I went to the range and figured something out.  Basically that my grip was way wrong.  My iron set has Lamkin permawrap grips with the little line at the bottom of the grip for alignment (which I normally look at first when gripping).  I always set up with my thumb on the grip line.  My sand wedge though, which I added to the set later, has a very similar golf pride wrap grip, but no line.  I have been playing these clubs for almost 3 years and never even noticed that. ...
Thanks for the tips.  I think I might be all arms with the short irons now that I think about it, trying to place the ball instead of a true swing.  I'll try getting my body more into it and see if it helps.
Very good idea.  I do this as well and it helps a lot.  Grooving away with a 7 iron for 25 shots in a row isn't like real life playing.       I totally agree with this.  I always play better when I'm consciously thinking about where I want to put the ball.  In fact, I play better at courses where they have a 150yd stick in the ground that I can actually see from distance, than where they just have a marker on the ground.  It gives you something to shoot at instead of...
I play Ping black dot (standard lie) irons.  I'm 6'0" tall, which I would think would be at the upper end of using a standard lie club.  Most taller players I know have more upright lies.  The sand wedge is black dot as well, but I did add it to the original set later, so it could very well be slightly different.   They do start a bit left, but they still have some more bend at the top.  This is why I think it might just be a swing problem more than an equipment thing. ...
I've really been fighting a hook lately with my short irons.  I don't know if shaft stiffness matters as much with short irons, but mine are stiff.  8-W is a guaranteed going left of the hole. but I'll normally hit a full sand wedge fairly straight though which is weird.  I might be in semi-chip mode by the time I get to that club so my swing is different?  I really don't even out until I get to a 6 iron.  Long irons are playing fairly straight.  I don't know if I'm...