or Connect

Posts by garrettdennert

I often find it extremely frustrating when I'm stuck between a slow group ahead of me and a fast group behind me, as it throws my game off a bit.  Cherish the days where you, alone, or with a group, are not being pushed and prodded.  It really is a great feeling, that nobody is out there watching you, it's just you and the course, the way it "should" be.  A lot of people preach that you should have that mindset, that it should just be you and the course out there, no...
Well said, saevel25, there are so many variations out there, it's unreal.  Some of them sound like horrible ideas to me, while others intrigue me.  As of recently I've been hooking the ball, sometimes a lot more severely than intended, and while most of it is probably because I haven't been out too much this year, I'd like to attribute some of it to my grip.  I have an interlock grip, one that's typically meant for smaller hands.  It's worked for me in the past, as it's...
Most of the time I'm kind of in a similar situation, where I haven't had the chance to properly warm up and get the first tee feeling a little out of sync.  When I don't get to hit range balls or practice my putting, I focus a lot on stretching before I hit my first shot-- a variety of stretches targeting my hips, knees, shoulders and torso-- and when I hit my first shot, I try to swing confidently.     If I do have some time to properly warm up, here's how I do it: -...
Okay, this might not sound that helpful but my advice is to get drunk and play... not literally, but you just have to forget all that stuff that is clogging your head.  Easier said than done, I know, especially when you're trying real hard and being driven crazy because of it.  Set up little goals for yourself before the round... "hit 5 fairways," or "hit 8 G.I.R.".  Make it so you can accomplish something and feel good about doing it.  Don't be shooting for under par...
Before last year I had never hit a blade, and had only used Cavity Back irons.  The CBs were Cleveland TA5s from a long time ago, but they worked awesome for nearly 10 years.  Why did I switch?  My handicap was low enough at the time to take the warnings about blades into consideration, and really I wanted to try something new.  But in all honesty they aren't all blades.  I bought a set of MacGregor irons where the long irons are full CBs and the further you go, the more...
There are many, many places to seek putting advice.  The simplest thing I can tell is that when you're home, just be gripping your putter-- hit balls into a coffee cup on the far side of the living room.  For me, putting is 99% about feel.  If you don't feel good with your putter, you're not gonna make a good stroke, etc.  A lot of cause and effect.  Putt like Happy Gilmore if it makes you a better putter.  In my book, Laying a Foundation: A Beginner's Guide to Golf, I...
One thing that really helped me out back when I started was Tiger Woods' "How I Play Golf," which is a golf book that kind of revolutionized the industry.  Ben Hogan's instructional book gets a lot of praise but I have not read that one... same with Jack Nicklaus's.  I've also watched Butch Harmon's instructional VHS set, as well as Phil Mickelson's recent DVD instruction.  The ones that I've watched/read have helped me in the sense that they all give me an idea of what...
I've never had a problem with eBay.  Bought almost all of my club that I have now from different sellers on the site, but like it has been said before, make sure you do your research.  What is the lowest price might not be the best transaction, and so on.  Look for positive customer feedback for a lot of the sellers... I'll shut up b/c I'm sure you know what you to do if you've been on there.
Coming from a son's perspective, it's awesome to be able to play the game you love with your dad, and actually have it be competitive.  I played other sports growing up but it's not like my dad could be out there blocking for me on a rushing play.  It's great to be able to work together and compete at the same time... a reason many others should play golf.  Glad all of these posts are up here.  Thanks to all the dads out there showing their kids the ropes!
I'm a Titleist lover, especially with their clubs for the short game-- Vokey wedges, Cameron putters.  Strangely enough, I don't own a Vokey or Cameron, though I've messed around with a lot at stores.  The issue is that they're just too expensive for me.  I still play a Titleist 975J driver, 8.5 degree.  It's old by typical standards, but it still looks great and plays great.  I think that's what Titleist really prides themselves on: feel.  Need to get a better paying job...