or Connect

Posts by longbow

I have been bemoaning the fact that I have lost distance since I quit playing in the late 90's and restarted playing last year.  I'm 58 and in reasonable shape from working out etc.  And I love walking 9 carrying my bag.  So yesterday I'm at the local grocery store and buy a couple of golf mags, which I rarely rarely do.  In the back of one they have a couple of pages of club tests done by "normal" folks that play golf.  So I'm glancing at the stats and notice that with...
I played 9 yesterday, which is pretty much what I always play, just 9 holes.  East course in Churchville, a Parks course.  I played well too for me.   the 5th hole is a par 4 from the whites and a par 5 from the blue/yellows.  I was playing from the blues.  So par 5 for me.  Hit a drive about 240 yds. in the fairway, that includes roll.  Might have been a bit less.  Anyways there is a very large pond that winds along the fairway and comes into play if you want to...
My brother is saying the same thing!  I don't know maybe just can't accept the fact I ain't what I used to be.  Want to play today and maybe I will but it sure is freaking hot and humid.  I don't take carts, I walk for the exercise.  The one thing I'm stoked for is my driving.  Thurs. like I said I actually can say I pounded the ball!  A couple of holes like the first 2 sucked but then got in a rhythm.  Maybe I"ll play with the X16's I have.  They are pretty forgiving...
I misspoke on the shaft flex for the Hogans, they are a 3 but they are APEX 3 which is regular flex from what I understand.  APEX 4 are stiff.  I played 4 days in a row last week.  Mon-Thurs.  Each day was bit better than the one before it, so that ain't bad I guess.  Matter of fact Thurs was the best day of all especially driving. I found a Srixon ball and played with that the last 4 holes.  I was playing at Churchville in Monre County, it is a County course and has 3 9...
Actually it is decent.  Nice and boring with my mid and long irons and high with my short irons.  Seems like that is how it should be.  I have a ton of irons to choose from.  Bought up over a dozen sets since last year and the best for me seem to be Hogan Edge GCD's or believe it or not Founders Club Traditional Royale with a firm graphite shaft.  The Hogans have a S3 shaft in them.  thanks     PS  case in point today.  I went out to Hamlin NY and played a little 18...
Ok I said it.  I am accurate but I don't hit them far.  My avg drive is probably 230 yds and 3 wood maybe 215-220 depending.  Sometimes I hit these further but I would say the avg is about what I stated.  Now I can live with these distances with the driver and wood but my irons sometimes are so frustrating it isn't funny.   Case in point.  I played a parks course yesterday next to where I live.  Durand Eastman.  Robert Trent Jones Sr. designed course and cheap enough...
I started a thread about all the sets I have bought since last year when I started playing again.  Some great sticks and some not so great.  Yesterday I took a set out with carbon fiber shafts, Founders Club Royales.  I paid 10 bucks nib for these plus shipping off the bay.  The most inexpensive clubs I have purchased.  They hit wonderfully.  I was surprised at how well they played actually.  I know I hit them at the range but don't think I played with them.  Very...
Yep you are correct, my bad.  I had both sides taped face and bottom.  I should have said that and frankly brain farted about that aspect of it.  thanks
Trevino is dead nuts on.  I live next to a RTJ Sr. designed and built golf course.  It is a muni course a county parks course.  Has one creek on the front snaking around it and one on the back snaking around.  Some swamp acerage and tons of wildlife.  Elevated tees, greens and narrow fairways with guess what lots of countors.  It is short with one par 5 on each side.  Some of the par 4's are long though and are dog legs left and right.  Alot of trees around it too. ...
For lie angle you have to hit the stick with the face taped up with hitting tape to indicate where the ball is making contact with the club on the face.  Standards deviate between manufacture'rs.  So when I get a set of sticks that are new to me I'll go to Dicks Sporting Goods most of the time.  Hit off there board with the face taped and see where the club face is making contact with the ball.  You can guess all you want but hitting a ball on the face and having it...