or Connect

Posts by LuciusWooding

First of all, welcome to TST!   If you swing in the 90-100 range, usually stiff flex is a good place to start. As far as the NV, it does work fairly well in all sorts of woods if you're looking for an economical option, but it won't launch very high in the heavier weights like the 75g and up. If you use the 3w mainly off the tee, it will probably perform well, but many players choose a higher launch shaft in their fairways or a 4 wood to ensure they get enough carry off...
I like to lean the toe of my lob wedge down a bit, shut the face, and use more of a putting stroke with stiff wrists. That club has such a wide sole near the toe that it glides through anything. Works great for bumpy areas or bunkers as well, comes out low and dead with a little spin and rolls out a decent bit. I'd rather have hard dirt than thick rough though. It may punish you for poor contact more than rough, but it's a lot easier to consistently get the ball cleanly....
I took a tumble the last couple months swing wise, but finally broke out and shot under 90 this week. Keep working on the right things and it will fall into place. Just don't let your bag eat your tripod like mine did. 
Generally speaking you want to optimize your flight for carry distance. If you have enough speed, this can sometimes be accomplished by lowering your launch and spin if the ball is losing distance from excess backspin. Generally technique is the biggest hurdle, equipment can help but it's not going to give you 30 yards of extra roll without costing carry. Rarely is it beneficial to choose dirt and grass over air in terms of the resistance the ball encounters. The other guy...
Since I played 27 today with my brother, and it was warm enough for shorts today, I decided to limit my swing work beforehand. Shot an 85 on the first 18, best score this year so far. Got a couple birdies and didn't do too terribly off the tee. Still had trouble with a couple things, like wedges and long clubs off the deck, but didn't play too bad.   The main piece I tried to improve today was getting the arms a bit less around my body, basically feeling I was swinging...
I practice trouble shots around the green, but I don't think they're a point of emphasis otherwise. As long as you know roughly how to hit off different lies, you should be able to create something swing wise. Most of the time if I'm in bad enough trouble to not be able to take a full swing, I consider a thin shot that gets me into an open space to be good enough, so that's not a very high standard to shoot for.
"I just cropdusted Dufner so bad..."
Welcome to the site!    I know you said you have been lurking, so you may know some of these threads already, but they're good ones to look at if you want to get the most out of the forum:     If you post video of your swing, you can get helpful advice from members, including instructors. Can't get that from lurking. Very big help even if you use it sparingly, and even the non instructors often have a good knowledge of fundamentals, plus it helps just having others...
Many practice sessions; it's a pain in the ass to set everything up, and I don't always get good footage even when I make good swings. Plus I practice fairly often so if I took much footage and actually looked at it I'd be spending a lot of time. I probably spend too much time looking at the footage and not enough time filming. Plus I'm probably keeping too much footage; I should really just delete most of my videos after a week or so because they usually don't get looked...
You can have a shallow attack angle or put the ball forward and still deloft the face at impact. With 18 degrees, it's probably enough loft to give you good height off the deck. When you deloft a 15 degree wood and don't make perfect contact though, it can be very tough to get good shots out of it. Off the tee however, the face has more loft near the crown and presumably you can swing more freely, resulting in a high enough launch.    However, you can also get your...