or Connect

Posts by Skier

Your point about getting in several rounds with the clubs was the one I was trying to make.  BTW, I don't know if a demo day can show screwed up clubs, but I know that many skis are not properly tuned at demo days.  Volkl and Fischer go way out of their way to be well-tuned on demo days.  Some others may not do so well.  I bought Pings, but I am very inexperienced, and wanted a very safe choice, especially since I needed good fitting (tall with short arms).  perhaps you...
A thought from skiing:  I have noticed that testers seem to prefer skis most like what they ski already.  A good ski with a novel feel will get very low ratings.  I had such skis a few years back, Salomon Pilots, that had torsional rigidity but were very soft in longitudinal rigidity.  Ski testers who were used to racing skis panned them but once I dialed them in they were very good for me.  I suspect it may be the same with golf equipment.  At a demo day the stuff most...
I have the Karma black and gray velvets on my woods (with two extra wraps), and Ping irons with factory grips (+1/32).  They both work just fine.  
My clubs are 3* upright, White code, and 1 inch extra in length.  The swingweight is D6.  I probably could also fit clubs 3.75* upright and 1/2 inch extra length, or 4.5* upright and standard length.  The swingweight would change, but I would have some clubs with the same length and lie in each set.  My 7 iron would match, in length and lie, the 6 iron in the hypothetical Silver code set and the 5 iron in the hypothetical Maroon code set,  The swingweight would probably...
Ping's color chart is found here: http://www.ping.com/uploadedFiles/Custom_Fitting/PING_Color_Code_Chart.pdf   The color codes are .75 degrees apart.   Ping's irons are 1/2 inch apart and .75 degrees apart in lie:     G15® Iron Specifications   Club Length Loft Lie Offset Bounce Swgt.      
Fitting a given length club for lie angle seems pretty mechanical.  What seems to me to be more challenging is trading off between lie angle and length.  For example, in Ping G10 clubs the Silver code 7 iron at 1 inch over has the same lie angle and length as the White code 6 iron at 1/2 inch over and the same lie angle and length as the Maroon code 5 iron at standard length.  The swingweghts will be different, about D6 for the 1 inch over, D3 for the 1/2 inch over and...
I have played relatively little golf, and I just started taking up lessons, although I had a college class in golf ( a required subject at USAFA).  I am only 6'2", with a WTF of at least 38 inches, so for me it seemed to make sense.  I ended up with clubs +1" +3* regular stiffness steel shafts, although the Ping chart showed +1/2" +4.5*.  I can hit these clubs, but in the past I have really struggled with standard equipment.  Now if I can stop delofting all the clubs at...
wrt to "tipping," what you are asking about is tip trimming.  Shafts are thicker at the but end and thinner at the tip end, so the tip end is more flexible.  for some shafts the manufacturer has published instructions as to how much of the tip to trim so that as you get a heavier head on the tip, the stiffness remains about the same.  These are in tip trimming tables.  You might...
The measure of winning in golf is the least number of strokes, not the average distance of drives.  If the angle of error were to remain constant, then doubling the distance would double the error in yards from intended line of flight.  Unfortunately, getting more distance on one's longest drives often involves using a lower loft and a longer club.  Lower loft seems to increase the average angle of lateral errors as does getting a longer club.  Add to that, using a...
OOPS- $119 for eight irons