or Connect

Posts by guiseppe

Best advice I ever got: start at the hole and work backwards.  Get comfortable with putting, then chipping, then pitching, then full irons...all the way back to the tee box.     Learning the feel of crisp contact with a chip helps you feel it with a pitch, which helps you feel it with an iron, etc.  Plus, if you can't make good contact moving the club six inches, you're not going to be able to do it full swing.
Duff:  avoid the temptation to try to develop more distance right away.  Stay focused on this swing thought for a while until it becomes natural to you.  Examine how it affects other parts of your body and swing so that you understand it completely. If you start trying to do other things before you ingrain this move, you may lose it.   As Harvey Penick said:  you don't want to do too much with a swing all at onece. Make little changes and work with them for a while.  In...
According to Golf Digest:     NEW HAMPSHIRE 1. Marc Spencer; Windham C.C.   You may also want to consider sending him to "golf school" for a few days.  That is always fun.  Depending on where you are in NH, something like: http://www.ricksmith.com/
My latest answer to everything is:  start with alignment before worrying about the stroke.  I have had problems aligning putts and iron shots and discovered a lot of golfers have perception problems so that a right handed golfer will aim too far right and a left handed golfer too far left.  i.e.:   http://www.academia.edu/12240565/Golfers_may_have_to_overcome_a_persistent_visuospatial_illusion   See what happens when you ensure your eyes are directly over the ball and...
mvmac:  thank you for the reply.  I had read the post about golf posture (good post.)  What I am looking for, however, is more of an explanation as to "why" as opposed to "how."     I am looking for an explanation regarding what is happening optically when I am looking at a distant target from a sideways position (i.e. set up over a golf ball as opposed to behind it where you can use both eyes when they are level)  Articles reference that golfers often times mis-align...
I'm trying to understand the role my head tilt and eye position affect my ability to envision the target line in the full swing. I can pick a spot in front of the ball along the target line, set up square to it and my clubface appears closed/way left of my target once I get over it.  If I can't see my target line, I have no chance of making a committed swing.   I remember at some point reading about optics, head tilt, dominant eye, etc, but can't seem to find the article...
I just moved away from Callaway musclebacks to Mizuno MP59.  I loved the Callaways; gorgeous clubs and like shooting a bullet when flushed. However, there really is a big forgiveness difference with a cavity back and I just love my new clubs.  Immediately improved my game.  
Interesting stuff.  Takes a bit to comprehend and I don't fully understand the clockwise, counterclockwise thing, but I'm interested in trying out the concept of opposing pressure for putting/chipping.  
There really are no absolutes in golf.  It certainly depends on the hole, your position on the hole coming into the green, the position of the flag, etc., but I think I am with Harmonious on this one.  It's nice to at least develop a shot you are comfortable laying up to.   Although it may be preferable to be closer to the green , don't forget we're not just talking about the shot into the green, we're talking about the accuracy of the shot before it. A shot where you...
Found what I was looking for.  I should have known there was a "posture thread" somewhere:   The shoulders feeling rounded, inward and down, allows the chin to be down, which allows for the ball to be seen with central vision.  The eyes which are located in the head are what need to be stable or centrally foviated on the object to maintain the balance centers located in the eyes, ears, and muscular system.  When we are looking at the golf ball, and our head is down, we...