or Connect

Posts by Marcel White

I WAS WRONG! I AM SORRY IF I DISTURBED YOU! IT WILL NOT HAPPEN AGAIN! But, before explaining why I have to say that, let me post a few answers to Mr. Iacas.   If you want to worry about the dimples of your ball affecting your putt, go for it.   No, I don’t worry at all. I just said "Golf ball is not a sphere but we treat it as if it was." This was related to the fact that, as I said before "I know that the line is not a perfect parabola segment but I know also that...
  Hi,   With all due respect I have to say that I don’t agree with you in some points.      you take a cone and take a slice of it, at any angle   First, the slice must be cut with a plane. Second, if the plane is perpendicular to the axis of the cone you get a circumference, if it is oblique you get an ellipse and only if it is parallel to just one generatrix you get a parabola.      Parabolas also have an axis of symmetry, meaning that a parabolas will look identical...
Hi Fourputt,   I basically agree with you in several points. Let me just add a few details:      most of the curve occurring as the ball slows down   Yes, as forward momentum decreases the relative importance of gravity increases. I have an animated video showing that but it would be considered promotional.      We could clearly see how his putts broke by the tracks in the dew for the first 6 or 7 holes   Dew increases friction and the bigger friction is the farther away...
      Dave Pelz says they do (pages 209-211 of my edition). Now I have a problem: Shall I trust him or shall I trust you?        The way I read greens isn’t based in any assumption. I read to find two things: If that putt goes up or down and how much. What is the direction of the fall line for that putt. Then, using the background that is in my head and without any external assistance, I try to anticipate the shape of the ball track for that putt. This gives me an...
Thanks MiniBlueDragon, your questions are very interesting.   Parabolas are theoretical lines that only exist in flat surfaces (planes). This excludes crowns and saddles.   Friction makes it impossible for any object to follow a perfect parabola. But, understanding parabolas and how to work with them is the key when the hole is in the middle of an almost flat sloping zone which, unlike crowns and saddles, is a very common situation. We don’t need perfect shapes...
Thanks for your contributions. 1st Quoting Greg Norman is very impressive but doesn’t explain why his system is not very popular on PGA Tour. Does anyone now do what he says? 2nd I wrote my thread to all those who need to read putts from both sides with the dominant eye wide open. If someone is blessed with the ability to do it with the feet, please ignore my thread. 3rd I just invited people to test that tip I got from someone else and that seems to work. If it...
It's hard to believe you wrote that.   I was addressing "all those who seriously read greens before putting" and never seen a golf pro reading greens with feet.
Thanks for your question. I tried to be concise but perhaps I tried too much and the result wasn’t clear enough. Golfers who read putts usually observe from behind the hole and also from behind the ball. This tip says that for right eye dominant players, putts that roll from left to right should be read from the opposite side of the hole. Putts that break from right to left should be read from behind the ball or, as I said, the dominant eye needs to be on the uphill...
Hi all! I write about breaking putts and putting lines and I try to check everything relevant that is published concerning my niche. Recently a golfer that claims to be also "a shooting sports instructor" posted an article about the dominant’s eye role in green reading and said that " the dominant eye needs to be on the uphill side of the break", that is, sometimes reading from behind the ball and others from behind the hole. I never heard that and don’t understand...
Address and then move the putter head up, just a little bit, before you start the backswing.   Marcel White