or Connect

Posts by GaryH

Does shortening the shaft by 1/2 an inch really make a difference with accuracy and ability to find the sweet spot?  1/2 an inch is about a 1% decrese in shaft length.  Seems like such a tiny change.
Thanks mvmac.   I am aware of those top of backswing clubface positions and their relationship to the left wrist but my problem is i don't understand why the sky-facing clubface is considered closed and the toe hanging down clubface is considered open. 
Just seen the bowed left wrist thread where there is a difference of opinion on this.  Hogan is mentioned as a cupped left wrist player which of course is true.  I hope this thread is not seen as a duplicate of the bowed left wrist one.  I'd recently seen the Martin Chuck Tour Striker Educator video which brought this issue, which has always bugged me, back to my mind.
Completely agree with this. 
Top teachers believe it does matter a great deal in that it influences your chances of achieving the desired impact position.  Martin Chuck, for example, says that it is very difficult to play good golf from a cupped left wrist at top of backswing position.  A few tour pros have a bowed left wrist at the top (Johnson, McDowell), but a cupped left wrist at the top is extremely rare.  I'm keen to understand why, the cause and effects.
I'm sure it all makes sense, saevel, but i didn't understand this bit.   I've been playing around with it in front of a mirror and have some new thoughts.  It strikes me that cupping the wrist during the backswing changes the shaft plane.  Specifically, it gets steeper, so that at the top of the backswing you are above the plane.  So you come down over the top, approaching impact on an out-to-in path, and so you have to open the clubface relative to this path to square...
Okay, so i understand that twisting/rolling the wrists/forearms (supination and pronation) opens and closes the clubface.  This is easy to see by doing either move in the takeaway and observing what happens to the clubface.   What i don't understand is how cupping the left wrist (dorsiflexion) during the backswing opens the face and why bowing the left wrist (palmar flexion) during the backswing closes the face.  I can relate a bowed left wrist to a delofted impact...
Thanks for the illuminating replies, guys.  I guess even the very best players sometimes go for forgiveness over workability.  Though as per TourSpoon's comment, i know from personal experience that the most forgiving drivers are not resistant to hook and slice spin, so they can't be too much trickier for tour pros to manouvere (in their case, intentionally!) compared with "better player" versions.
I see we have a difference of opinion.  Assuming the heads are in fact the same, i do find it odd when a golf teaching pro reviews a club and says it probably isn't for the lower handicapper who wants to work the ball, and/or for players with high swing speeds......and yet it's common knowledge that some tour pros use it! In the Ping example, one would assume the tour pros would all favour the i20 or the anser, but this isn't the case.   Edit:  Actually, reading...
Interesting. So when they quote the names of tour pros who use a particular driver in their marketing (or when the sales assistant mentions this), effectively we are being deceived as the club they're selling to us is quite different?  The head shapes are the same (i think?) but what's underneath is different.