or Connect

Posts by JP1111

I was thinking the same. I know there are some good players on here, but a lot of touring pros wouldn't be too upset with averaging 13 greens. I don't always track my stats, but in the rounds I do track I average just under 50%
Twice as many putts? The greens are tough but not tough. I avarage about 33 putts, ok, but not great. 66 putts? The greens aren't made of sheet ice.
I'm finding it hard to pick one to root for. Would love one of the old guys to win it, especially Jiminez, but then Speith winning would be a great story and as an Englishman I would love Westwood to finally do it too.
I think a lot of people see Augusta as some sort of mythical place that no mortal could possibly tame. Yes it's long (although not THAT long), the greens are fast, the drives are narrow and the water hazards treacherous, but if you play properly and apply a bit of course management there's no reason a hacker can't have a decent day there. I've played 480 yard par 4s and made birdie before now. I've played holes with greens smaller than 12 and made birdie before now. And I...
I always struggle to aim away from the pins, there's always a voice at the back of my head saying attack. However if I could suppress my urges and play nice and conservative and attack on the "safer" holes then I would fancy my chances at shooting mid 90s. If I started flag hunting though that could quickly turn into 110+.
My first round was in May 2011 on a 6100 yard par 70 course and I shot 133. That summer I just played and played and played. I was getting in a minimum of 100 holes per week, often playing 27 or even 36 holes on my own without a break. It took me about 2 months to break 100, and about 3 more to break 90, then I slowed down to only playing 2 or 3 times a week and it took a further year to break 80. I'm now a solid low 80's player and when I'm really on it I am capable of...
My scrambling (proper scrambling as in saving par when I've missed the green) hasn't been good enough in recent months really. But in my last 3 rounds I've made 24 GIRs out of 54 and scrambled for par 11 times out of 30 (37%) which I'm a lot happier about considering its winter and I'm having to chip from lots of muddy and bare lies. In the same 3 rounds my up and down % regardless of score is 53% (16 out of 30). My sand save % in those 3 rounds is 63% (5 out of 8) so...
I'm a right handed player. My putting isn't terrible but I often get a bit "handsy" on short putts which results in me dragging a lot of them to the left. It's been suggested to me that gripping the putter with my hands the other way around may help. I have tried it out and it seems okay if a little strange and I intend to carry on experimenting. Has anyone else tried this and what were the results?
There is no right or wrong answer. The longest iron I carry is 5 so would consider a par 3 long if I can't hit that to it, so about 200 yards. I think par 4s are long if I have to take driver off the tee just to leave a mid iron. So 420 is starting to get long. The course I used to play quite a lot had a 480 yard par 4 and that was brutal. And I think a par 5 is long if I absolutely can't reach in 2 regardless of conditions. So probably 570+
I haven't had a great year all in all, but there have been plenty of highlights. Top of the list was that I made my first ever eagles this year. First was on a 510 yard par 5. Driver, 3 wood to just short of the green, and a chip in from about 40 feet. My second was on the first hole, a 310 yard par 4 (slight dog leg over OB so it's probably only 280 to go straight at it). I drove the green and drained it from 20 feet.