or Connect

Posts by k-troop

Just saw this. My wife is due with our son on August 10th!! So obviously golf in San Diego is out of the question, but the reasons to miss golf don't get any better. Have fun guys!!
Definitely gave Adam Scott a drop today that he considered favorable. He needed every inch of that putter; though, to be fair, not sure it saved him a stroke.
Getting up?!? That's 0100 here; I've already started pre-gaming.
I don't disagree, and I've told him as much. He says it also helps him control pace on the typically quick and sloping greens at his home course, but I don't buy that either. It's remarkable but he makes a ton of putts from 10' and in. Probably should be noted that he plays 95% of his rounds (which is 100 or more per year) at the same course and he could probably hit nearly every putt on that course with his eyes closed.
I have never been able to score well when playing a new course for the first time.  My scores range from even par to low 80s, but I probably average between 80-82 for first-time rounds on a new course.  I usually need to play a course at least twice in order to feel confident about where to aim off of the tee, how the wind will affect the flight relative to the layout of the hole, how much a slope will affect a shot or putt, seeing different tiers on greens, etc.  I...
I think the OP is onto something that all of us know, or should know:  don't ignore other players' balls rolling on your green, because you can get a lot of information.   Let's start with two basic points.   First, you should always read your own putt.  Whether you use AimPoint or plumb bobbing or whatever technique you use, you have to make your own read.  You can't rely solely on another player's roll, because you don't know whether they hit it solid, wiped across...
 I don't think control over distance is really the tradeoff.  I think the shorter shaft is easier to swing consistently, therefore giving you better plane and impact conditions, which result in better contact and more consistent distance.  If the tradeoff was really between distance and accuracy, you should choose distance. (But don't confuse wild shots that sail 20 yards OB with poor "accuracy", because that's a plane/impact issue.)  Yeah, this.  And especially this....
I guess my point is that Jack didn't change the metric all by himself. We had to agree that he was the greatest, and the reason was primarily his majors total.And hasn't Tiger changed the metric? We all agree (well the majority on here) that he's now the GOAT, yet Jack still has more majors. So the metric has changed again, and Tiger's achievements have caused it to change.
 You always say this as if Jack simply flipped a switch and other golfers before him became irrelevant.  The fact is that Jack's accomplishments in his own time were so fantastic that he had the power to change the way people thought about measuring golf greatness.  Greatness is measured in the minds of fans, after all.  If Hogan held the same level of power and sway based on his own accomplishment, then he wouldn't have been so easily left out of the conversation. And...
 The Hogan comment was from the 1958 Masters.  Palmer had just played in a practice round match with Hogan and Jackie Burke; Plamer played like crap and Hogan made the comment to Snead in the locker room.  Arnie mentioned that comment really fired him up to play his best that week, and he won the tournament. Hogan was his own guy--I don't think anyone would dispute that.  He grew up in a different era:  he was a young adult when the depression started, fought in a world...