or Connect

Posts by NCGolfer

-1 will be leading at the end of the day.  I'd be shocked if Thompson doesn't give a few shots back early in his round.  Anyone around +3 or +4 at the end of the day still has a reasonable chance.  This could set up to be a dogfight between McDowell, Tiger and Furyk.  I half-expect Furyk to fade a bit.  I'd put my money on a McDowell/Tiger Sunday pairing with no more than 2 shots separating the both of them.   Of course...there is a LOT of golf to be played until...
I played D3 back in the mid 90's at one of the Penn State satellite campuses.  I loved every minute of it.  Since the weather up north isn't great we had a limited spring season but a longer fall season.  To answer your questions/concerns, here are my thoughts:   Play/don't play: Just do it. I had no regrets and got to play a lot of decent courses for free and you can get equipment pretty damn cheap too.  In your situation, I'd just find out when the tryouts are...
Shot 70 (-1) today with 17 pars and one bird.  Couldn't have hit the ball much better off the tee. Probably the best I've hit it in 3-4 years from the tee box.  The irons weren't quite as sharp but still hit a lot of greens...just didn't hit it close and couldn't make any birdie putts.  The greens were punched about 2 weeks ago so they're still pretty bumpy.  Still, it was a beautiful day and a very encouraging ball-striking day.  The four greens I missed were with a...
Played nine on Saturday afternoon after things cleared up a bit.  Shot 34 with a couple birdies and a bogey.  Hit 6/7 fairways and 7/9 greens.  Didn't get up and down once but hit it really well other than one loose iron shot.  The driver has been something I've been working on this year and out of the seven I hit I would say that three were exactly the way I want, another three were good but slightly low and one was just OK.  I never put myself in trouble at all...
Hit more fairways - Over 60% Hit more greens - Upper 60's Get better with 5-15 footers.  Don't feel like I make enough.   If I do 2 out of the above 3, my scores will come down.  I was only hitting 50% of my fairways at the end of the year...not acceptable.  Irons were good but i was putting myself in some awkward spots.  The putting is a matter of getting some reps on the green and getting my setup locked in.  I don't three putt very often and I make...
Here is Stanley's quote from the press conference:       Him saying "Thought I had a pretty good shot" would indicate (to me at least) that he hit it where he wanted to...which was the wrong place given the shelf and increasing the chance of water on the shot. All Erik is arguing here is that he should have hit the ball to the fat part of the green and just, at worst, three-jacked it in from there.   I don't see any luck in this at all.  It was simply a poor decision to...
Stanley.   To follow up on some of the other side-conversations and what the definition of a melt-down is, you can EASILY classify Stanley's 18th hole as a melt-down (not bad luck.)  As was mentioned earlier, all he needed to do was get down in 5 from 100 yards.  Not only did he hit a bad approach shot, he proceeded to three-jack it when he got on the green.  His melt-down was like burning magnesium when compared to Levin's slow candle...that's why I think it was...
I got out a couple times in the past week.  Shot a 72 & 73.  Overall the ball striking started a bit rough until I figured something out and the irons were much better and flush after. The driver took a lot longer to get going but on the last 9 I hit every fairway.  A couple of the drives didn't have the ball flight i wanted but were still hit well and on target. The funny thing is that I birdied the same holes both days.  I moved to the back tees on the second day...
I have Golfshot for the iPhone and it seemed good at first but my confidence in it changed to the point where I now use a Bushnell Rangefinder.  I used the GPS side-by-side and it was correct maybe 40-50% of the time (within a yard or so) but other times it was off by more than 5-7 yards which is completely unacceptable to me.  And it seemed to vary course by course   For the $30 I put into the app, it was worth it but I feel much better having the rangefinder.
A couple years ago I did a detailed review on the Srixon balls.  Since I'm a Titleist guy, the review may interest you.  Also, since you're a frequent visitor of The Sand Trap then you probably have already read it.  Of course their formula has undoubtedly changed so I may have to give them another try.   In short, I'm still playing the Pro V1x.  I'm going to give the Penta a try because I liked the TM Black and Reds when they came out.  The Srixon's just had too...