or Connect

Posts by lipout

OK, I take the points from sean_miller.  I was not thinking about advice to kids or about advice for people who are naturally talented.  I agree that they learn differently.    I was following the core idea of the thread which was how unrealistic and inefffective adult golf learning is.    I was not thinking  we needed more "how to swing" information. I actually think we have too much of that.    I was thinking in a different direction altogether:  how to...
I agree that most lessons end up being a waste of time.  Lessons are often just 30 minutes - barely time for a "tip" or a "fix".    Everyone is to blame for this.  Amateurs for their expectations of improvement from 1 30 minute lesson, pro's for their willingness to go along with that and offer a tip or fix.  TV pundits for confusing everyone with their pet theories.  Pro's who write books and DVD's that promote themselves and contradict each other.  And finally...
Not sure why a shot has to be one of two options:  bad luck or meltdown.  I think there is a 3rd option: a regular poor shot, which might be a miss hit or an error in shot selection.    IMO Stanley's 3rd shot was a poor shot, not bad luck and not a meltdown.   His play from shot 5 onwards was worse, and is closer to a meltdown, but I still thnk that is too harsh in the situation immediately following the shock of shot 3.     
I agree, it does depend on how you use the term meltdown.    I think Stanley hit the shot he wanted to, but he had not worked out in advance that the shot he had chosen might spin back into the water.  To me, that is a mistake, not a meltdown.   I would use the term meltdown for players who lose their game under pressure.  Levin lost more shots over more holes, so he gets my vote. 
Early last season I switched back to a short putter after about 6 years using a belly putter.    My conclusion about the belly putter (or other long versions) is that there are 2 main benefits.  The main one is psychological.  If you ever get yourself into a situation where you are convinced you can't putt, then a major switch to a totally different method can get you into a positive frame of mind.    The second, and less important, benefit, is that you have...
If we talk about whether golf on TV is interesting, then I think the biggest issue is that it is the longest game by far (except cricket, which I won't attempt to explain).  4-6 hours of coverage on 4 consecutive days before you get a result.  Who has 16-24 hours in a week to watch all of this coverage?  It is not as if anything is happening on TV much of the time.  And I agree with some of the previous posts about not really having a reason to strongly root for one...
Do any of you guys play in 36 hole competition?  Our club championship is 36 holes in one day.  Imagine, 9-10 hours of strokeplay in one day!   They say that they do that because people don't play if it is Saturday / Sunday because they have family commitments.    Now with a 12 hole course: 12 holes for round one, a bite to eat, then 12 holes for round two:  all done in 5 hours.   Now that sounds like a better day to me.    On TV:  Saturday:  two 12 hole...
The key to all of this, IMO, is the willingness of the governing bodies to sanction varieties of the game.  If they could sanction one official large hole size and 9,12,18 hole formats for scoring, then perhaps that would release course owners to try differnt things without the fear of becoming "not golf".  Offer variety and see what happens.  Right now we are offering no variety and are in an over supply situation.  Rather than just keep closing courses until supply...
Hole size and Jack's idea about 8 inch holes.    If I recall reading about this correctly, the origin of the 4.25" hole goes back to the size of a piece of drain pipe that was used to cut holes on one of the original courses in Scotland ages ago.  In other words, it was an accident.    There are a lot of arguments against making any change, there always are.  I acknowledge all of these, and maybe no change is the best answer, but I wanted to point out some...
If 12 hole golf were more officially sanctioned, I can see some existing golf courses doing something like this:   Take the 18 hole layout and find a way to create 12 really good holes.  That frees up 6 holes worth of land.   Sell off some land for development:  this would re-finance some clubs that are close to closing.  Lets say they sold off 3 holes worth of land, that leaves 3 holes that could be used to create a par 3 academy course for the...