or Connect

Posts by lipout

I suggest the first step is to think in terms of this being a 100% normal reaction to added pressure in golf.  I get it, I see it on TV and I see it with people I play with.  What "it" is, is your thinking brain going into overload because you are thinking about all sorts of stuff that does not enter your head when you practice.  Most of it is fear based.  Fear of embarrassing yourself, fear of looking bad to others, fear of losing.  The heart pumps, the adrenaline...
This thread has been quiet for a while, perhaps this will help get it started again.    I have had TGM for about 2 weeks.  Fortunately, I had read the book about TGM beforehand, so I knew that it was meant as a reference manual for teachers, not for people like me unless I was prepared for some serious study effort.    I am on my third read, and I am starting to find my way round the book, the cross referencing and the language.   I think I understand, at...
I've been looking into swing theory pretty hard recently, and got some great help from a couple of the pro's who blog on Sandtrap.  I won't steal their tips, but just to say that there seem to be some key choices that you need to make:  hitting or swinging, one or two plane.  I will let them join in with pointers on these choices, rather than try and give you my version of their explanations.    The key seems to be to pick a style (in my case: one plane, swinging)...
Had my second round with S&T after getting help from Sandtrappers on hand action.  Played the whole round exactly like you say, HeadGolfool,  no conscious hand action in terms of release.  I did work on the S&T idea of taking the hands round rather than out.  I was mostly working on the S&T left leg pivot and trying to get the hips sliding before they turn and really letting the club follow and do its own thing.    Its working, I must say.  I even had a hint of push...
tshapiro and headgolfool,   thanks for the replies.    I am glad I am not alone in finding all of this confusing, I was worried that it was just me.    I like the way that tshapiro describes release, it is literally a hold, hold, wait for it, let go.  I had been thinking it was hold, hold, wait for it, then HIT.  I suppose the clue was there all along in the term "release", but I was thinking HIT because of the books that used that term.   Also, I don't...
sk golf good of you to reply, thanks.    I just got the Stack and Tilt book, I really like it and especially liked the explanation of the push draw.  You can see I gave it a decent mention in the thread about "how did you score today".  It was this book that made me question the Watson forearm roll, and you have confirmed that point, thanks.   However, MY interpretation of S+T is that there does not seem to be much in the book about anything to do with the...
In the book "How to feel a golf swing" by Bob Toski and Davis Love, Jnr, the section on hands starts with:           "Some players might as well stick their hands in their pockets....for all the use they make of them"   In Hogan's 5 Lessons, he says (he uses capitals) "HIT THE BALL AS HARD AS YOU CAN WITH BOTH HANDS".    Bobby Clampett (The Impact Zone) is primarily concerned with lag.  It seems to me that what he advocates is keeping the wrists cocked as...
I've read all of this thread.  I am part way through Scott Gummer's book about Homer Kelly and have TGM on order due to arrive soon.    I have Clampett's book and the S&T book, and they are both apparently followers of TGM.  When I try and follow this advice, the feeling I get is one of trying to power the swing with the core, get the body moving powerfully with spine tilt movement, and letting the club catch up.    On the other had, I have books (Tommy Armour,...
Had a look at the link, thanks.  I like the look of the i20 and the description of the club sounds ideal for me, so I look forward to hearing your views, thanks.     
Nikon 350G, works great.