or Connect

Posts by lipout

I'd like to give a positive mention for KZG.  I need my clubs fitted 2 degrees flat most of the time and for irons that is easy to get from any manufacturer.  But pretty much all of the main manufacturers do not lie adjust fairways or hybrids.  With off the rack fairways and hybrids, I find that the toe of the club sits too far off the ground.  They might work OK, I guess, but they don't give me confidence.    KZG do one model of fairway and one model of hybrid that...
I shot 76 (par 69) but the most interesting thing was that I was trying Stack and Tilt for the first time.  I bought the book and read it over the holidays, but had had no chance to even hit a bucket of balls to try it.  Went out for a game with my best golf buddy and told him he had my permission to laugh all he wanted at my efforts to try Stack and Tilt.    I think I lost a fraction of distance, but I hit a lot of good contact, straight shots.    I was tempted...
I am interested in the i20.  I now have a 9 deg ping G10 with a prolaunch red shaft because I want a lowish trajectory and more roll.  Looking at Ping's description of the i20, it looks like this is the driver in their family that is best suited for what I want.   However, I have not heard good things about the predecessor, the i15 driver.   I would be interested to hear general experiences, and also any expert comments on the ping shaft as compared to the...
Phil's methods seem totally different from Dave Pelz's "Short game Bible", but supposedly Phil and Dave work together.  Something seems wrong here, because Dave is not teaching what Phil says he does, and Phil is not doing what Dave teaches.   
I agree with you.  I have a 17 deg 4w and a 22 deg hybrid, then start my irons at the 4i, so I can get in an extra wedge.  I have 4 wedges:  46, 50, 54, 58. 
thanks for the reply.  I think, now that I have been through all of this, I think that fitters should make it clearer that you are making a choice.  Perhaps I ought to have known more, but I was definitely thinking at the time that I was simply getting the single best driver.  In the previous reply to this post, Lucius mentions that Tiger prefers a lower flight.  Not that I am preferring it for anything like the same reasons, but I now much prefer the lower flight...
thanks, that was a very helpful reply  
I was fitted for a driver some years ago.  The weapon of choice turned out to be a 10.5 deg Ping G5 with a Graffaloy prolaunch blue 65 regular shaft.  About 2 years ago, I went back to the same fitter for another fitting.  I was told to save my money because none of the new drivers were any better for me than the club I had.   The fitter has the latest and greatest launch monitor set up, is the largest pro shop in the region, and you pay for your fittings, so you get...
I don't think Utley gets enought credit for his idea on using the bounce for pitching.  I have a pile of golf books and they all talk about "hands forward, descending blow, ball first, divot later".  If you have ever had that horrible fat shot, where you stick the leading edge of the wedge into the ground a fraction behind the ball and totally flub the shot, you will know how damaging that can be.  Next shot, you are as likely to thin over the green because you are...
I bought Pelz's book about 3 years ago, and Utley's early in 2011.  Utley's clearly works better for me.  Looking at some of the other posts, I would like to add that the arc in Utley's method is natural.  The arc is what naturally happens because you are standing to one side of the ball.  If you are somehow working on creating the arc, then you are not benefitting from the simplicity.  Utley's point about Pelz is that square to square is not a natural action, it has to...