or Connect

Posts by Dormie1360

Some rules specifically prohibit dropping a ball in a WH.  Anytime a rule requires you to determine a NPR (Nearest Point of Relief), for example, the ball must not be dropped in any hazard.  Other rules like R28 (Unplayable ball) do not have such a restriction.  Under R28b  I could see dropping in a hazard.  Even R28c if the ball was close enough to the margin of the hazard.
Let me add this, which is a little complicated.  If your ball, after a stroke from the hazard was deemed unplayable OUTSIDE the hazard, you have some more options and the penalties are slightly different.   First the only way to incur only 1 PS is to proceed under the 3 options under the Unplayable Ball rule, not the hazard rule.  So you could drop where you just played from in the hazard,  drop within 2 club lengths where you deemed the ball unplayable, or drop a ball...
Technically speaking because the ball was still in the water hazard, you can not deem it "unplayable" under the rules, however you may still continue under the hazard rule.   Specifically, you may proceed under Rule 26-2, which is "Ball played within Water Hazard".   In addition to what others have said you may  also (incurring 1 PS) drop the ball in the soft dirt again if you'd like to try the stroke again from the hazard.  If however you don't like the lie after the...
 No problem, good discussion.  Couple of points.  My answer concerning the rules infractions and waiving the rules were specific to the match.  Stroke play penalties are an entirely different animal.  With match play, unless a referee is assigned to the match, there are no incurred penalties.  (Couple of exceptions).  Unless a valid claim is made, players unknowingly breaking rules due not incur penalties. There is no score to turn in, just the results of the match.  The...
 Your are correct , if players agree to waive a rule in a stipulated round the penalty is disqualification for both players.  Rule 1-3.  The presumption, with my answer, is the players were unaware or not sure what the ruling was, and agreed on the outcome of the hole based on their "best guess".  This is different than both players knowingly disregarding a rule.
First the rules of Golf do not allow Stroke play and Match Play to be played at the same time.  Lot of reasons for this.  Your league has a format the rules do not allow, therefore it's somewhat difficult to correctly answer rules questions.   However,   As far as what happened, the player should have lost the hole in Match Play, but because an agreement was reached the hole stands as agreed upon, In Stroke play the player was disqualified for not finishing the hole....
 Never said  it does.  But it still has to be reasonable.  A reasonable direction of play, for example, would not be the same for everyone.  I have a 10 year old  junior who wants relief from a cart path, who only stands on it while aiming over a 220 yard forced carry.  Not reasonable.  Adam Scott wants to play the same shot. He get's relief.
 I think it was the correct ruling.  Even with a putter, he would have had half his feet hanging over the water, easy to lose you balance and fall in.  I think it would be reasonable to conclude that he could and would choose to advance the ball with a left handed swing in the direction he chose.. Short story from a recent workshop.  I forget all the details but a very experienced PGA Official was teaching the class and related a story concerning Phil Mickelson. The...
  Also see this. 24-2b/3Player Determines Nearest Point of Relief But Physically Unable to Play Intended Stroke Q. In proceeding under Rule 24-2b(i) or Rule 25-1b(i), the Definition of "Nearest Point of Relief" provides that to determine the nearest point of relief accurately, the player should use the club, address position, direction of play and swing (right or left-handed) that he would have used to make his next stroke had the obstruction or condition not been there....
 No, I'm afraid you don't have it right.  First, you are not required to have a normal stance.  You are just required to have relief from the cart path.  Second assuming your only option was a left handed swing after taking relief (See Fourputt's post)  you have to go through each drop, you can't just skip and go to the last one. Decision 24-2b/3.7 has a good diagram showing this, but I can not seem copy it from the USGA's new website.  Below is decision...