or Connect

Posts by Dormie1360

No the committee may not shorten a stipulated round.   33-1/2 Number of Holes of Stroke-Play Competition Reduced During the Competition   Q. A 72-hole stroke-play competition is scheduled over four consecutive days. Eighteen holes are to be played each day. On the third day, all competitors finish the first nine holes but a number of competitors are still playing the second nine holes. At that point, the course becomes unplayable due to heavy rain and play is...
20-6/5 Player Drops Ball Under Rules and Then Wishes to Replace Ball in Original Position   Q  .A player's ball lies under a tree. The player deems the ball unplayable and drops a ball three club-lengths from where the ball originally lay. Before playing, he is informed that he dropped the ball in a wrong place. The player lifts the dropped ball under Rule 20-6 and realizes that, if he drops the ball within two club-lengths of the spot where the ball originally lay, it...
 Sand and loose soil can be removed from the green only.  You are allowed to touch the green  in order to remove loose impediments, movable obstruction, sand and loose soil.
Yes it can be confusing.  Negotiate what his handicap should be on the tees he's playing.  Don't try and figure out how many strokes he is going to give you.  The math takes care of that.   Let's say you and your friend decide he is a 9 handicap on those tees.  Look up your handicap on your tees.  Say it's a 20.  The difference is 11 strokes.  As you have already figured out, your tee has a 3 stroke higher rating.  So you get to add 3 more strokes.   So.....you would...
  Although the above is commonly done, it's wrong.  You must also adjust each players course handicap based on the difference in course rating.  See 9-3c Handicap Manual (i) Different Tees: Men vs. Men; Women vs. Women; Women vs. MenDifferent tees usually have different ratings. Since a USGA Course Rating reflects the probable scores of scratch golfers, the higher-rated course is more difficult, and the player playing from the set of tees with the higher USGA Course Rating...
 All holes are measured the same way using lasers, so I'm not sure what you mean by the way they measure courses.  As far as difficulty, are you talking about how the hole handicaps are allocated or what the slope and course ratings are?  If you are talking about the former, there are a lot of courses that do not follow the recommended procedure.  Usually when a course is first designed it's done mostly by yardage.....which doesn't always give accurate handicap...
 It does.  A course rating is a score for a scratch player.  We do also use a slope system which is more for "bogey" golfers.  t takes into consideration things like forced carries, tight fairways, etc., which are more of a problem for bogey golfers compared to scratch players. To some of the other comments, also remember that the original question was about net match play, not net stroke play. Handicap allocations for each hole are often different for men and ladies.  If...
 We pretty much do the same thing.  First we look at the individual handicaps based on the tees each player is playing.  We then adjust the handicaps based on the difference in course rating, which is really what a scratch golfer would score. So if I were a 7 handicap on the tee I'm playing and you were a 5 on your tee we would then look at the difference in course ratings for our respective tees,  Say my tee was rated 3.5 strokes higher.  Rounding up I would add 4 strokes...
Just to add, the rule was specifically adopted because of Sam Snead.  It is intended to prevent using this type of stance while putting.  It is not however, so restrictive that it prohibits or penalizes a player from occasionally standing astride an extension of his line of putt in order to avoid stepping on a players line.
 Hi Colin, I've not seen any local rules like this.  Things defined as cart paths over here are usually made out of something, whether concrete, asphalt, crush stone, etc.  Sometimes a course will have a cart path by the tee and as you proceed a short distance from the tee it ends.  The idea is that once leaving the cart path you "scatter". Having said that, a heavily traveled area that was rutted could certainly be deemed as GUR, but I don't think you would see a lot of...