or Connect

Posts by Dormie1360

I think you understand it pretty well. Here's how I understand it. If a player physically puts his hand on "any" ball and puts it into play it is a substituted ball, not a wrong ball.  For example, if a player takes a swipe at a ball in a bush that isn't his, he has made a stroke at a wrong ball.  If the player had first removed the ball from the bush and drops it, for whatever reason, it's now a substituted ball.  Doesn't matter if the ball was his or not. In this...
 Thinking about this further, are we sure on the ruling?  The player correctly played a provisional.  However, once the player determined his original ball was in the hazard, he should have abandoned the provisional (It was no longer in play).  Instead he played it.   Wrong ball? (R27-2c, R15-3)
 The player incurs a 2 stroke penalty for a general breach of R26.  The penalty statement for R20-7c says "he incurs a penalty of two strokes under the applicable Rule." So when a player plays from a wrong place, (no serious breach), the 2 stroke penalty is actually a breach of the rule he did not follow correctly. That's how I understand it anyway. 
Yes you can drop on the cart path under the unplayable ball R28..  You then may take relief from the cart path R24-2.  You must drop within 1 club length from the nearest point of relief.  This could be back on the right side of the path, however and back/near  the bush.   The key is knowing how to accurately determine your NPR (nearest point of relief).
If you ask the USGA how to handle mulligans they will say a hole with a mulligan is a hole not played under the rules of golf.  Consequently, for holes not played under the rules give yourself par plus any handicap strokes allocated to you based on your handicap.  Part of the reason for this is although mulligans are normally taken for strokes from the tee, they can happen at any time. (a duffed chip for example)   Having said the above, given that  the whole idea is to...
Colin let me ask you this.  When a player announces his intentions to play under R28, he is protected against a breach of R18.  So, if he announces R28a and then kicks his previously unseen ball, there is no penalty under R18.   If the player does not declare under R28a, but R27-1 and then kicks his unseen ball........would there not be a penalty under R18?
 Ok, I don't disagree with that.  I "think" we agree that a ball must first be seen (in order to apply anything other than 28a), therefore it's position in the tree is known. The player may declare the ball unplayable without identifying. Unless he does identify it as his, by whatever means (including throwing a club at it), his only option is R28a. If the ball is his, he may proceed under 28c, using the point on the ground directly below where the ball lay in the tree.
I'm not following.  If the player were going to proceed under 28a, why the necessity for even trying to knock "a" ball out of the tree for identification?  What is the point of decision 18-2a/27 then?     28/11 Ball Unplayable in Tree and Player Opts to Drop Within Two Club-Lengths   Q. A player's ball is eight feet off the ground, lodged in a tree. The player deems the ball unplayable. May the player proceed under option c of Rule 28 which permits him to drop a...
The guests are "outside agencies".  As far as showing lines, etc., I think it's a good idea to not have one of the guests play first if it might show the line, but there is not a "rule" against this.  Other than treating the guests as outside agencies and applying the rules accordingly, (like if they were to move your ball), I believe the only thing mentioned in the rules concerning other players playing along with the match is that both match play opponents must agree to...
 Good question.  As far as determining a reference point it would seem logical  that a player would have to see "a" ball before proceeding. I think the purpose of the decision is to allow a player the ability to announce or declare ahead of time his intention of proceeding under R28 (unplayable), and move "a" ball without first identifying it. This procedure avoids a penalty under R18-2 (ball at rest moved) if the ball is his, but then commits the player to R28.