or Connect

Posts by Dormie1360

The line of play exists for a ball lying anywhere without restriction, which includes a ball on a putting green. The line of putt exists only for a ball on the putting green.  Seldom do we apply rules governing line of play for a ball on the green because R16-1, which deals specifically with the line of putt is usually sufficient.   An example, however, of where the line of play is used in a ruling on the green is D16-1a/4   16-1a/4 Removing Casual Water from...
If the marks r on the green you may repair them. Doesn't matter where the ball is. If the mark is off the green and fixing it improves ur lie, stance, or line of play, leave it alone. There is an exception.
 No you can fix any ball mark.  Doesn't have to be yours and it doesn't matter where your ball is .  Here is an exception, however it's pretty rare. 16-1c/2Ball Mark in Position to Assist Opponent Q.A and B are playing a match. At a par-3 hole, both are on the green with their tee shots. A's ball comes to rest four feet from the hole. B's ball is fifteen feet from the hole. Upon reaching the green, A prepares to repair his ball mark. B tells A not to do so until he (B) has...
  Not quite right.  If your ball may be lost outside of a hazard, as well as possibly in the hazard you may play a provisional.  If you subsequently find your original ball in the hazard or have proof it's lost in the hazard, you would then abandon you provisional and continue with the original ball under the hazard rule.
I did this in a tournament recently. On the tee box of a par 3 I was taking a practice swing above the teed ball and accidently hit it about 20 yards to the next tee box. I went and got my ball, re teed and played my stroke to the green and two putted. My marker asked me what I scored and I said 3. There was a look of bewilderment on his part. He did check with the committee when we were done   So would you want the ball to be in play as soon as it is teed, or no penalty...
Here is the applicable rule.   13-4. Ball in Hazard; Prohibited Actions........................   Note: At any time, including at address or in the backward movement for the stroke, the player may touch, with a club or otherwise, any obstruction, any construction declared by the Committee to be an integral part of the course or any grass, bush, tree or other growing thing.   Regarding your scenario of hovering the club above the ground and/or  practice swings above...
After looking at your picture, I'd go back to my original post.  The ball could be outside the hazard and not found. (Lost)  If you are not sure the ball is in the hazard, you need to find the ball or proceed under the lost ball rule.  As you mentioned, you could definitely have played a provisional in this case.   BTW, rather tight driving hole. 
The "committee" (folks in charge of the course) define the boundaries.   From what you described, the fence sounds like a boundary, although technically if there were just red stakes on the left side of something marked as a hazard, and nothing on the opposite margin, then yes the hazard extends for infinity.   But again, it sounds like a boundary.  You don't normally get to play out of a "neighboring facility"  off the course.
Because there is the possibility that the ball may be lost outside the hazard or Out of Bounds you must treat it as a lost ball.  Stroke and distance penalty.  Only if you have known or virtual certainty that the ball is lost IN the hazard may you drop under the hazard rule.   Also it makes no difference whether or not the area to the right of the hazard is OB or not.  The ball would still be considered lost (stroke and distance), unless you could find it within 5 minutes.
 Absolutely I would. Our club works the 17th at Valhalla every time there is a tournament there.  At the last US Senior championship my wife was working by the green when two players both hit their ball into the bunker.  As one player was going to play his stroke, a guy in the gallery said he was hitting the wrong ball.  This was to my wife who did not know what to do.  The player hit the wrong ball, 2 stroke penalty. Afterwards she asked the Rules Official if she should...