or Connect

Posts by Dormie1360

Gary, thanks for making the call......you saved another 2 pages on the server. 
Why doesn't someone just email the USGA and put this one to bed.......it certainly comes up enough.  (Has to be from US)   What is the ruling and does a player have any regress when his fellow competitor or opponent refuses to move their ball marker which is interfering with the player's line of putt?   http://www.usga.org/rules/contact/Contact-Us/    ( I would, but I've been bugging them lately about other stuff).   Just some comments.   Equipment can also be...
 Well my pedant nature might get into a discussion on what is "foreign"  but I think that would get silly.  We agree he can mark his ball with a Sharpie.  As the rules strongly suggest that you put an identifying mark on your golf ball, it would be difficult to do if you could not use a Sharpie.   Have to think about this one.  As described it does sound like he is using the Sharpie as a form of impact tape, which I agree would be a breach.
 Just so we're clear the "intent" required is to influence the movement of the ball.  Spitting on the club, by itself, is not necessarily a breach. 4-2/4Applying Saliva to Face of Club Q .A player spat on the face of his club and did not wipe the saliva off before playing his next stroke. Is this permissible? A. If the purpose of doing this was to influence the movement of the ball, the player was in breach of Rule 4-2b as saliva is "foreign material."
  These are the rules that come to mind concerning what you can apply or put on your golf ball, or club face.   These rules are  "action with intent".    I see no problem with what you are doing or what is happening to your club. BTW  if you breach R5-2 (use the ball) it's a DQ.  If you breach R4-2, (clubs) it's 2 penalty strokes as soon as you apply the foreign material.  If you use the club it's DQ. For Balls: 5-2. Foreign Material The ball the player plays must not have...
 Spike marks may not be touched if doing so will assist in your subsequent play of the hole, or your partner's play.  This normally covers areas just past the hole on your line of putt. Also, you may not touch your line of putt or improve your line of putt by pressing anything down.  This covers spike marks between the ball and the hole. There are exceptions to touching your line of putt,  ball marks being one of them. After everyone in your group has holed out, you are...
You may fix ball marks on the green without restriction.  Your ball does not have to be on the green.  This will indeed improve your line of putt or line of play, or your lie.  That's the whole idea for doing it in the first place.    This is allowed under these circumstances.   FYI, Obstructions are artificial things like roads, paths, etc.  and there is a separate rule for these.  Divots or ball marks are not obstructions.
 There is a 4th situation explained D20-1/0.7 Lifting Ball to Determine Application of Rule     An example would be lifting a ball to see if it's embedded, or whether or not it lies in an abnormal ground condition.  (Like a burrowing animal hole)The procedure for this is similar to the steps required under R12-2 Lifting ball for identification. Other than what's listed above,  if you have lifted a ball, even if the lifting was not authorized, you can clean it.  There is no...
  You can clean your ball.  See above post for the rest.
Thanks Colin....and Rulesman.  Someone was questioning me on  this, telling me about two relief options and not being able to do a single drop which gives relief to both.  That didn't seem correct here, but was having trouble explaining why.   As my somewhat fogged brain now realizes, when the relief procedure of one still gives you interference for the other, it's two separate procedures.  In this case, relief under one rule takes care of both.