or Connect

Posts by Dormie1360

I agree.    The point is IF you know the ball is OB, it's OB.   It also makes the point that water is not an outside agency.  
   Just to make sure there is no confusion between these two comments.  A ball could enter a water hazard, most likely a lateral, and then be carried out of bounds by the flow of water.  The ball is OB.  Relief under the water hazard rule is not an option. As far as the ball bouncing vs. flying into a hazard, it's treated the same way....if the ball ended up in the hazard it's in the hazard.  The reference point for dropping, is where the ball last crossed the margin of...
Yes, there is a difference.  Think of it this way.  In both cases the ball is "lost".  If it's Known or Virtually Certain that the ball is lost in the hazard, you may proceed under the water hazard rule. (Rule 26)  If you are not virtually certain that the ball is lost in the hazard, then you must treat it as a lost ball under Rule 27, which is the stroke and distance rule.   Make sense?     26-1. Relief for Ball in Water...
Lots of reasons why a course may not be marked properly.   1) Lack of understanding as to how it should be marked.  Especially at a public course, the person marking may have little knowledge of KVC, USGA guidelines, etc. 2) Although the materials are cheap, there is a labor cost in keeping it up.  Also, few courses keep lines painted. 3) Maintenance costs. (Shoe string budgets.)  At one time the high grass may have been cut down, but the normal maintenance budget...
The actual term used in the rules is "Known or Virtually Certain" instead of "reasonably".  Your assumption is correct.  Unless it's Known or Virtually Certain the ball is in the hazard, you can not proceed under the hazard rule.  Without KVC you must find the ball, otherwise it's lost.     See this explanation of "KVC".   http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-26/#d26-1-1
It is a question of fact as to the status of the ball.  Any questions as to where the ball is would be directed to the committee.  If an answer were not readily available, the player could play two balls.  OB is marked with white stakes, white line, or something is identified on your rules sheet.  Hazards are marked yellow or red   If it is not OB, the player would need to find his ball.  If unable to find the ball, it's a lost ball and the player would have to proceed...
Your opponent is disqualified from the hole for playing a wrong ball.  This does not affect his partners play, even it the wrong ball was his..  Your partner incurs a 1 stroke penalty for moving an opponents ball other than during a search.  The fact that it was the opponent's who hit a wrong ball is irrelevant. (although see below)   So the hole should have been finished with both you and your partner finishing the hole, your partner adding 1PS to his score.  The...
 I was going to say the same thing.  Especially with branches, I look at it this way:  If there is any other way you could have taken your stance, where less branches are being moved or repositioned, you must take that less obtrusive stance.
Also, I will agree that 13-4 is applicable regardless if the "grass" is part of the hazard or not.  The above video shows what my comments were about.
The word pedantic comes to mine when I think you know that we both understand the rule.   BTW, You might want to email the USGA and tell them they're using bad terminology.