or Connect

Posts by Dormie1360

As far abusing R22, this gives some guidance.  It's part of what luu5 posted.  I have yet to run into someone that purposely abuses the rule or is that anal.     22/3 Player Requests Another Player to Lift His Ball in Absence of Reasonable Possibility Ball Might Interfere or Assist   Q. A's ball is on the putting green. B's ball is 100 yards from the green. B requests A to lift his ball under Rule 22-2 as it might interfere with his (B's) play. This happens several...
 Generally speaking, Rule 3-4 covers this.   Jerks, as Rogolf so aptly put it, are DQ'd.  3-4. Refusal to Comply with a Rule If a competitor refuses to comply with a Rule affecting the rights of another competitor, he is disqualified.   3-4/1Competitor Not Given Opportunity to Lift Ball Assisting Fellow-Competitor Q. In stroke play, A's ball lies near the hole in a position to assist B, whose ball lies off the putting green. A states his intention to lift his ball under...
 Just a little more information.  Ball doesn't have to just interfere with your line.  As a player you may have a ball lifted for mental interference......it's near where you are making your stroke and it bugs you. Also, you can not lift your ball just because you think it interferes with another player.  Only the player playing the stroke may have another ball lifted for interference. On the other hand, anyone may have any ball lifted .....including his, if they think it...
You ALWAYS have the option to replay your stroke under penalty of stroke and distance. If it is not known or virtually certain that your ball is in the hazard you MUST play under stroke and distance. (Or play a provisional)
@Ignorant @rogolf   Just finished my workshop.  I asked a person who's committee is responsible for actually righting the rules and a PGA official with a ton of experience.   My opinion was wrong.  Although not specifically contemplated, they both felt they would allow relief per the decision.  I also asked about whether the depth of the ball in the ground could be a factor as far as not allowing the relief because it would be unreasonable for the player to play the...
 Hey we agree on something.                 Very bad for pilots.
 Hi Ignorant, Just an FYI, but assuming Iacas sent his question via the link on the USGA's website, the questions are answered by 2-3 full time staff members who don't take their answers lightly.  They have the full resources of the USGA behind them if it's a unique question.  Not saying it's not impossible to get a wrong answer, but I wasn't sure how to take your "clerk" comment....even with the ;-).  Also, there are instances where the R&A and USGA disagree on rulings or...
If I had to do it over again, I would have suggested we call the ball in bounds and pound in another stake.  No one else had been in that position during the competition.
 No, I agree it's casual water.  Didn't mean to imply anything else if I did.
  Biggest fight I ever had on a golf course.  Member/Member, Pro gets a call they need a ruling on the first hole.  Pro asks me to go out with him.  A ball was on the outside cart path edge, but OB.  Should have been another stake installed on the apex of the cart path, but wasn't.  From stake to stake the ball was out by 6 inches.  I thought the member was going to blow a gasket. It's been years and the member still doesn't like talking to me.