or Connect

Posts by Dormie1360

It's found in the definition of a Ball In Play.  The second paragraph explains the two scenarios we have been talking about.  It's written in USGA speak.    A ball is "in play" as soon as the player has made a stroke on the teeing ground. It remains in play until it is holed, except when it is lost, out of bounds or lifted, or another ball has been substituted, whether or not the substitution is permitted; a ball so substituted becomes the ball in play. If a ball is...
"There can be only one".   Love that saying.      I did here a rumor that there is some discussion among the powers to be to come up with one handicap system for everyone.  Don't know how serious it is.
 Something to add to the above because I have seen confusion on this. Say you correctly start play of a hole from within the teeing ground but your ball is lost or OOB so you are required to replay from the teeing ground playing your 3rd stroke.  If you were then to play from outside the teeing area by mistake (say your re teed forward of the markers,), the stroke does  count in this case and the ball is in play. In this case you have played from a wrong place, and incur...
 First, the question isn't written correctly.  There is no opponent in stroke play.   If he had an opponent he would have been playing match play and the ruling would be different. Just think of it this way, in stroke play if you start the play of a hole from outside the teeing ground it is a 2 stroke penalty and you must correct the error before you tee off from the next hole, otherwise you are disqualified. If you played from outside the teeing ground, went back to the...
Yes, the only option in that case is stroke and distance
 I see this at the club level where the Club Pro really doesn't want to  DQ a member, especially when it doesn't really matter.  My rules side would just say, at the very least, make sure everyone understood the rule. Colin made a good point, just let the guy play first.  If he also refused to do that, I'm really losing any sympathy for him.  Rick's point is valid in that everyone should have a rule book in their bag.  Also, on the club level, if your having trouble with a...
What also concerns me is the rules knowledge of the "committees".  Isn't this the second recent question where the guys running the tournament were clueless?
  I here what you are saying, but I can't think of anything in the rules or decisions that would allow a cancel and reply in your scenario.  Not that there isn't something, but nothing comes to mind.  My brain is old.
  The player who's ball that was struck would normally replace his ball.  As I said, it's rather moot because he would be DQ'd after the round. The striking ball, yours, would be played as it lies. There are no stroke penalties associated with what happened.
There is a Decision on Ant Hills.  They may be treated as Loose Impediments.  As such they may be removed anywhere on the course unless they and your ball lie in the same hazard.   23/5 Ant Hill   Q. Is an ant hill a loose impediment?   A. Yes. An ant hill is a cast or heap made by an insect. A player is entitled to remove an ant hill under Rule 23-1. (Revised)   Loose impediments are meant to be removed, however.  Don't smash them down.  Light scraping with a...