or Connect

Posts by Archie Bunker

The Golden Bear irons I remember were inexpensive clubs sold in department stores like K-Mart. They were forged blades and nothing special. If these are the type you have, they won't be worth much as a trade-in, no matter how good a condition they may be in. You would be lucky if they take them at all. Not bad clubs (I had a set once), You might as well play them until you are ready for a modern technology set.
Sometimes a new glove can be worse than no glove at all. I bought some Callaway synthetic gloves some time ago and noticed that something was wrong. My hand was slipping INSIDE the glove due to some kind of powder (cornstarch or talc) that they used inside the glove, presumably to let you try them on easier. When this stuff got wet with perspiration, it made the inside of the glove slippery as an eel. And it was one of those things you couldn't figure out at first, since...
Sergio gets generously paid by TaylorMade to make heartwarming commercials like this. I'm sure he's a nice guy in person, but he wouldn't be doing this on his own accord. Oprah gave away Pontiacs that were donated by GM to her audience, and everybody thought it was great (until they found out they had to pay taxes on the "gift"). I wonder how many of those drivers were given away? Probably a drop in the bucket considering what it costs to make a high quality commercial...
Soft spikes are easier on the legs when walking down the fairway, but when you are on the tee, there's nothing that compares to metal spikes. You are literally nailed to the ground. I'm sure Patrick Reed wouldn't like them.
Several pros such as Tiger and Rickie Fowler admit to playing practice rounds with persimmon woods to sharpen their games. You can't get away with a sloppy swing with these, and you need to concentrate more. Looks like golf has been one of the few sports that has let equipment technology take over. Imagine if professional baseball allowed something other than wood for bats and stitched leather baseballs. Home runs and batting records would quickly become meaningless.
Don't worry - you'll get an extra 50 yards of roll on your drives....
Speaking of caddies, I remember one that we used at Tralee. No matter where you hit the ball, he would go after it. Risked his life climbing down one of the cliffs, looking for a ball. Balls must be really expensive in Ireland these days!
Chances are, Hogan would have never attained the mystical status that now surrounds him if he had to deal with today's media, internet, and social forums that put a magnifying glass on everything you do in public and private. He was fortunate to play in his era. And he went away when he could no longer compete, so we tend to remember his best years.
Keep in mind that if you go in late May or June (I went over the Memorial day weekend), days in Ireland are really long. 36 holes per day? No problem. I remember playing the 18th hole at Ballybunion at 10pm.
I plated Ballybunion, Waterville and Tralee on an AerLingus weekend package in the late 80's. All three courses were great - you cannot get an accurate perspective of how these courses look through photos or videos - you have to be there to see what I mean! A whole different golf world, with some of the nicest people you will ever meet. I especially liked Tralee, since it winds around the seaside and has several forced carries that Pebble Beach would envy. Waterville was a...