or Connect

Posts by eich41

Most of the courses with built in GPS units have a pace of play tracker that tells you the elapsed time and if you're behind pace.  I guess the more technological version of your clocks.  The problem with both systems is that the culprits for slow play are either oblivious or self centered jackasses who think it's their right to impede the play of others.  In either case those systems won't do anything to help the problem.  The "While We're Young" and "Tee it Forward"...
One other thought I had on this, is the whole 4:15-30 expectation that is set for a round.  One problem is that it's the MINIMUM requirement.  If you're playing any slower than that, then you (theoretically) should be asked by the ranger to pick up.  I think that allows some people to think that playing a 4:45 round is okay, because it's close enough.  While technically speaking the minimum is just that, the minimum acceptable time, I think it may lead to groups that don't...
Agreed.  The vast majority of slow players are bad golfers, but that doesn't mean the vast majority of bad golfers are slow players.
I certainly don't think that all high handicaps are slow.  I'd say the majority of them do play right along.  The problem of course is that it only takes a group or two playing slow to clog the whole course.  Low handicap players can get away with playing more methodically, simply because their more efficient in the first place due to hitting quality shots and not spending much time with the other things that slow high handicappers down, like looking for lost balls. As for...
Just to clarify, I don't think fast play is exclusive to good players, however, I think the vast majority of time, slow play is due to poor play.  As I said above, I think the biggest culprits of slow play is looking for lost balls for far too long, especially when the ball is certain to be unplayable.  If you can't afford to lose a golf ball, you need to find a new hobby.  The other reason why better players typically aren't going to be the cause of slow play is simply...
Few comments on this... First on the time per stroke debate, it doesn't really work as the higher handicap players most likely have several penalty strokes on a hole, not to mention the fluffed chip shots and missed three footers Secondly anything over 4:15 minutes is a slow round. There are many things that can contribute to that including stacked tee times, slow players, etc. As for slow players, besides the obvious of standing over putts too long, taking too many...
Bali Hai isn't a bad track.  Sounds like you already know the drill on the constant air traffic, but outside of that it's a pretty good track.  There are definitely better courses and better deals to be had out at Mesquite and other areas, but frankly, unless you are renting a car, Bali Hai is a good choice.  It's a bit overpriced, but like you said, a cab or rental car is going to run you at least $50 RT and likely closer to $100, so by the time you deduct that it's a...
My "late to the party" thoughts:   - The only two questionable calls Watson made IMO, were to play Keegan/Mickelson twice on day 1 then bench them all of Saturday, and perhaps the biggest was to play Walker/Fowler all four matches on Friday and Saturday.  They had played solid but not great, and they went all 18 every match.  If they had closed out some teams 5 &4 it wouldn't have been as big of a deal, but asking two guys (any of them) to play 90 holes of extremely...
Sure but The Old Man and The Sea wouldn't have been any better if Hemingway had typed it.  That's what the swing tacticians seem to have a had time grasping. Faldo was talking about Bubba yesterday morning and said something along the lines of "Bubba's swing is all over the place, but I asked him about it and he said all he cares about is the final results, how the golf ball gets to where it needs to go doesn't matter" and Faldo seemed dumbfounded by that concept. I get...
One other interesting observation.  The media's obsession with TW has completely overshadowed Jordan Spieth's explosion on the PGA Tour.  He has certainly gotten some love, but more in the context of "He's a good young player".  If he pulls this off today, TW's start would pale in comparison to what Spieth has done prior to being able to buy a beer to celebrate a victory.   My rooting interests for today in order:   Kuchar Spieth Fowler/Jimenez Blixt     I'd love...