or Connect

Posts by eich41

I never made any comment to justify altering a lie to save a club from damage. What I was pointing out was that in theory moving a ball to a preferred lie and not taking the penalty is simply ignoring the penalty so you can write down a lower score. However on the course if these guys had to take a stroke, they would try to play it, often resulting in a poor shot that would delay play.Also as I stated before, I think competitive golf and these silly rules are...
With all due respect, they are not. It is set to the white tees and they are allowed the option of playing the gold tees. I am fully aware of how the hdcp system works, which is why I brought it up. On the scorecard it says white tees and tee hdcp.
I think it would speed up play a bit. Your example is true in theory, but if faced with a bad lie, most people wont take a unplayable, they will just try to play from the bad lie, and hope for the best. Then they skull it or shank it and it ultimately takes longer. If you're laying 3 with a bad lie, you can take an unplayable, and hit five to the green and maybe make your double bogey and move on. Or you could just play it and maybe end up in the same spot. It may...
I think it's not a big deal for casual golfers to play this way.  If it helps them enjoy the round more, makes it easier and quicker to get around the course, then by all means.  To be fair a lot of mid to high cappers probably don't know many of the proper rules anyways.  As long as they know that they don't really shoot an 85 it's not sweat off my back (and even if they think that I don't really care). I personally just find it a bit weird that one would want to play in...
Not much you can do.  I doubt the guy is working there much longer.  It'd be a bit different if you were just on the range, and he thought you did it on purpose.  But if you're taking a lesson with the pro, it's not like he is saying "Okay, now we're going to work on your snap slice into the cart guy".  Then to come berate you in front of essentially his boss, is pretty dumb, especially if it was to the point that it cut your lesson short. 
We get it.  You've convinced yourself that you play "fast enough" and there's no need for anyone to play faster than you.  You won't let anyone play through, unless they're capable of playing their approach shots, chip shots if necessary and putt out before you can tee off on the next hole.  Despite people pointing out that that isn't how it works, and suggesting the proper way to let someone play through without having to "sit for 15 minutes for this to happen" you've...
Right. That's what I'm saying though. These guys are getting their cap based on whites AND playing from the gold tees. That's what makes no sense. The whole point of a handicap is to level the playing field regardless of skill, tee, course, etc.
So my course's league is flighted based on team handicap.  I'm in the bottom flight (my partner is a generous ~43hdcp who is just getting into golf).  You play to the lowest hdcp in the match, and it's best ball match play for a point a hole, with 1 point for winning the match.  Pretty standard league rules.  We also have a rule that anyone age 60 or older can play from one set of tees forward.  There is a team who is also in the bottom flight, but just barely.  They're...
It's an interesting concept.  It seems that just handicapping and flighting an event or league (for those who play with these rules) would accomplish the same thing.  What's the difference between not following the rules of golf, giving yourself preferred lies on every shot, and reducing the penalties for OB/lost balls, vs. just playing by the rules of golf and using the handicap system?  Either way your score is an artificially low number, but at least with a handicap you...
Not quite as amazing as Randy Johnson's fastball with the pigeon, but still pretty crazy.