or Connect

Posts by Parker0065

Nicklaus is my all time favorite but he has made some quotes that I think are directed primarily at high handicaps or beginners. He was always a proponent of "learn to hit it far first" as well as "Tee it Forward", which basically is if you can't hit it far then move up to make the game more enjoyable I would imagine if Nicklaus was 25 years old today playing on the PGA Tour he would be out there bombing it 330 yards alongside Rory, Tiger, Bubba,,,,,,etc.   Golf as a...
If you and Covert have walked Halfmoon I give you guy's a lot of credit. I've played out there a couple times in the fall when they have their lunch/cart specials. Yes that #15 is a real uphill monster! It's like your trying to hit a ball up Mt. Marcy, lol! I normally walk all season and I'm use to walking hilly courses like my home course at Airway. It's amazing when I play Saratoga State Park it literally is an easy walk in the park(no pun intended). That course is very...
Welcome Covert.   There are a few of us Capitol Area guy's around here. I'm up in Saratoga and play mostly up here, Airway Meadows, Saratoga State Park, Saratoga National(once or twice a year). My teenage son works at McGregor Links and gets to play there about anytime he wants but I'm not a member.   I've played Pebble back in the 90's and you can't help but love that place. I was stationed in the Monterrey Peninsula then and got to play a lot of great courses in that...
Is distance really important to amateurs? If you ever want to play in tournaments or win anything outside of just beating your buddies, it sure is. I'll use my home course membership as a simple example. There is a group of us that I will call group "A" with handicaps ranging from 4 to 0, where everyone in that group drives the ball at a minimum of 275 yards,,,,minimum!  The next group I will call group "B" with handicaps ranging from 5 to 8, where a really good drive for...
What a lot of people don't understand is that this is very mental as far as playing unfamiliar courses well. When I was a junior player in High School I learned this playing on a top ranked team in our State. There was absolutely "No Excuses" by our coach for a poor performance on a unfamiliar course. He ran the team and treated us like college players, no excuses allowed. This developed us into very solid "away" players. I like to use the example, a 7-iron, is a 7-iron,...
I think a lot of it comes down to what people think is good ball striking and how good or bad a players "misses" are.   For an average golfer a miss can mean off the green from 10-20 yards. For a low to mid single digit handicap a miss might be 3-5 yards off the green. As a scratch player my misses are usually a couple feet off the green or on the fringe or edge of the green(40-50 ft birdie putt). For a Tour player their misses mean they have a 30 footer for birdie or...
I'm not sure what a "All Out" swing is? I picture someone falling all over themselves after impact. How hard can you swing and stay in perfect balance would be my own personal definition of "normal"!   This may be wrong to some but for myself I always strive to swing at the same speed or pace(club head speed will change with club length) . I change grip length if I want to hit shorter and I plan from the tee box on approach length to avoid putting myself into a weird...
I think gloves are completely a "Personal Preference"! The grips they have nowadays lets you get away with it.   I feel completely naked without a glove yet my son can't stand having one on. I tried a couple years ago to get him to play with one but he didn't like it and felt uncomfortable. So he has went gloveless all his golfing life.
You hit your 5 and 9 woods more accurately for the same reason everybody hits their 8,9,PW more accurate than their 3,4,5 irons,,,,,LOFT(and shorter shaft)!!!!! Ball gets up in the air quicker and lands softer. Bad shots tend to not get in as much trouble.   But you do bring up a good point on club length. I'm sure everyone here will disagree with me but I don't think the length they make today's Drivers at 46 - 45.5 does much good at all for the average player. Sure...
What constitutes a good day? Playing with my teenage son and his fellow high school buddies.   I've played this game for so, so long and at this point in my golf life I really get the most enjoyment out of watching really good competitive junior players! I've been beyond fortunate that my son took to golf but I'm most proud that he has turned out to be a great kid. That's not my words, but the words of club members and other PGA Junior Tour parents and Pro's! He gets...