or Connect

Posts by Moonnerd

I have played the Resort course, and will have a chance to play the Palmer course this weekend.  I know there are blind shots which make it difficult if you have never played it before.  If any of you have played it, do you have any general advice, or remember any particular aiming points that could help?   Thanks in advance!
Dublin is right on the mark.  We did that last summer... played the Nicklaus course "Angeles National" (wonderful) in LA, then drove down to San Diego and played Maderas and Torrey Pines.  Maderas is a Johnny Miller course with dramatic elevation changes, and is run by Troon Golf and they do a great job with it.  Its been rated the best course in San Diego County for 7 years.    And Torrey Pines is the most magnificent municipal course you will ever see.  If you try...
When visiting a new course, Ben Hogan always asked what the course record was and who owned it.  If it was the local pro, Hogan would make sure not to beat it since Hogan saw himself as his guest.  At my local course, a highly rated college links course, a touring pro showed up one day and beat the record the first time he ever saw it.    My guess is that this happens a lot.  I agree with David - these guys are stupid good, and we have no idea how great they are. ...
Thanks for those videos.  The most helpful thing for me regarding lag is when I quit thinking about it in terms of an angle between your arm and club, and started thinking about it in terms of increasing the pressure on my right index finger as the club accelerates.  Think about the grape in video 1.  The pressure on the grape continues to increase as the club accelerates.  And you want the club accelerating (pressure continue to build) through impact.    I didn't...
I have the J40 driver and J40 irons (dual pocket cavity in 3-4i, and cavity-back in 5-pw).  I absolutely love them.  I'm 49 years old and hit the ball farther than I've ever hit it.  As a reference point, I love my J40 driver as much as my RBZ 3-wood, which says a lot.   I had too much spin on my driver in the past, so I got the J40 (spin killer) and tee it up a little farther forward.   I like the J40 irons because they are forgiving but are also forged, so I...
When a tour player misses a putt, what usually causes it?  Lets say its a 15' putt with a little break.  If he misses, what percentage of the time is caused by:   Bad read Wrong speed Face not square Wrong swing path   I know we're just guessing, but I would like to see your thoughts.   Thanks.
2 years later, I would love to hear your current answer to the same original question.  Thanks.
Great thread.  I have read it several times, and have been trying to incorporate a hip slide into the beginning of my downswing.  It has helped a lot!    Occasionally though, while my hips slide forward, my shoulders dip down too much and I chunk it or sky a drive.  What have y'all found (either swing thoughts, drills, mechanics) that help prevent that?  Thanks in advance.
I was getting over 4,000 RPM with my driver.  I moved it up in my stance (to the front of my flared out left foot) and went to a Bridgestone J40 driver, and my spin as down to just over 2,000.
I am like you in that I practice more than I play, so I can relate.  BUT, one of the most technical minds out there, Johnny Miller, has "Play more than you practice" as one of his 10 rules of golf.  That surprised me at first, since he practiced so much and thought so much about the golf swing, but I think he is right.   I used to be a single digit handicap.  Then I got married and had kids, and had to walk away from it... probably played 20 rounds over the last 20...