or Connect

Posts by Moxie Dawn

I am happily admitting my ignorance of the topic. If you have actual information, please spout off.
Again, it was me who mentioned Dick's pricing. I have first-hand knowledge of it based on the products the company I worked for sold to Dick's. Specifically, fishing vests sold to Dick's for around $7 which they in turn sell for $35. I have no idea if this is typical retail markup. But because fishing is a fairly common and economical activity (although certainly anyone can go over the top with it), and golf tends to be seen, right or wrong, as being for more affluent...
That was me. I worked for a company that sold stuff to Dick's. 
I love all sports, but football is by far my favorite so I choose the NFL. But NCAA football is superior to me for a number of reasons. The collegiate setting, the old traditions, and the idea that you play for a reason other than money. It makes the whole spirit of the game different.   Football is also special because it is rare and fleeting. On a given year, a million American boys will play high school football. Less than 10% of them will play at the college level,...
As a beginner, not playing with a full set. It's too much and too overwhelming. Too many clubs. The technical things you guys are saying in these posts sound like Latin to me. I'll let Zip help me choose a set, but no more clubs than this for me. http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71clcu8B0yL._SL1500_.jpg
Appreciate you fixing that other post. Our economic condition has been brewing for 30 years, we just didn't see it coming. Plenty of blame to go around.  I actually have a full set of clubs, but they were given to me by a stalker so I feel uncomfortable about them. Probably be a new starter set in the future. So I do know that golf is not a rich man's game, but that image is out there and has always been. I'd really love to work with a golf course as a true novice and...
Since this discussion has morphed into why golf is "shrinking," just some thoughts from someone completely new to the game.    Brown Coast is hitting on golf's image problem. Golf has always been seen as a game for rich white guys. Whether that is fair or not, there are certain things which feed that image. The $500 club, for example. I look at $500 and see a car payment or half the mortgage payment or two months of power and water. Someone like me is never going to...
I recently worked for a company that sold products to Dick's, and in my experience, a more appropriately named company has never existed. We supplied outdoor stuff like game vests and fishing vests, some camo. Very difficult people to work with. Short-paid invoices all the time for such offenses as the coat hangers not being all turned in the same direction in the box, or the font on the label was not a preferred font. I don't know what the typical retail markup is, but I...
 Well sure, but those are rules you'd have to establish with your partner/group at the outset. Does it count if its on the line or does it have to be fully inside? Also, unless you're playing for money, your score is really what your conscience says it is. If you're satisfied with it being on the line, take it. If not, putt again. I'm just trying to find a way to allow these variables for different levels of playing ability without tearing up the golf course or the need to...
Being the most amateur of amatuers in this forum, how about an opinion?   I saw some of you say the long game is what gives most beginners a problem. Might be true, but not for me. Not saying I don't whiff about 50% of the time or have my share of wormburners and the like, but hitting the ball is the fun part. Putting sucks. I suck at it. I struggle to find a word which acurately describes the level of suckitude. And the notion of just putting twice and taking a 6 on the...